04 1.5 dci (80) Fuel pump - Moddy
I thought that it would be adviseable to let all the megane/renault drivers on here know that there is a problem with the high pressure fuel pump with renault. I have recently had problems starting my 54 Plate megane and took it into the dealers last week thinking that the injectors were clogged up or something. I received a call back later that day that kind of shook me up.....

It turns out that the high pressure pump had started to dis-intergrate and that it needed replacing, little did i know what they meant when they said that. (Nowt against the garage as they didnt quabble or moan)

Everything, yes, everything that is connected with the fuel system is being replaced as when the pump disintergrates small pieces of metal are moved throughout the whole system, thus they are replacing everything, the costs they have indicated are in the region of £2500, (They even thru in a courtesey car for free). A big toot for Parks, Kirkcaldy !(Sorry if im not allowed to put that down, but wasnt sure)

This is being placed here to let the other megane users know there is a problem and if their car is not starting first time, take it quickly to their dealer. The second reason is, the car is still under guarantee, but what happens say next year as its getting close to the end of its warranty !!!

Edited by Pugugly on 14/09/2008 at 17:25

Top Reply

Renault Megane 1.5 dci (80) Fuel pump - s**thottech

the fuel pump breaking up actually is a common fault with renault 1.5dci engines (k9k), i know of this fault in all renault 1.5 dci systems having replaced quite a few although the model after 2006 seem to be ok, having a modified pump helps though!

i have also seen this fault on some nissan micras etc from 2004/2005 as the 1.5 diesel is the renault engine (same engine k9k)

All Replies

Renault Megane 1.5 dci (80) Fuel pump - Altea Ego
I have to say, this is not reported as common fault on renault dci engines. Having said that, all high pressure modern diesels from all makers have thrown up the odd scare story about pumps. Whne you think about the pressures involved, its no suprise really,
Renault Megane 1.5 dci (80) Fuel pump - s**thottech

the fuel pump breaking up actually is a common fault with renault 1.5dci engines (k9k), i know of this fault in all renault 1.5 dci systems having replaced quite a few although the model after 2006 seem to be ok, having a modified pump helps though!

i have also seen this fault on some nissan micras etc from 2004/2005 as the 1.5 diesel is the renault engine (same engine k9k)

Renault Megane 1.5 dci (80) Fuel pump - drumahoe
Hi I have a Jan 2005 Modus last week she came to a stop. Rang the garage who said over the phone before seeing the vehicle that it would be an expensive repair as the knew what the fault was. They have had 6 differant Renaults in all with 1.5 DCI engines all around 3 years old and all with faulty fuel pumps. After the pumps deteriorate the whole fuel system has to be replaced. A mere £3200 for a car that is worth around £3500.
Renault Megane 1.5 dci (80) Fuel pump - Screwloose
drumahoe

I'd always be a bit suspicious of a garage that can definitely diagnose a car over the phone - cars bite over-confidence.

Complete system replacement is the only professional option for common-rail pump failure and is a normal, absolutely routine, operation on many makes. Some of the hardened-steel frag is small enough to return through the filter and it will trash the new pump - the injectors will already have been scored and some of their orifices blocked; they're only 2 microns across.

The biggest problem around on DCi's [and others] at the moment is non-genuine fuel filters not sealing properly on the quick-release connectors and letting air in. Low rail pressure codes are sending a lot of garages off on an expensive wild-goose chase.
Renault Megane 1.5 dci (80) Fuel pump - vmturbo

Common Rail seems to be a big problem on all makes. For example I know a bloke who was very low on fuel when he got to work at the haulage company where he is a driver. The boss gave him some white diesel as used for the HGVs but the container used had previously held truck cleaner (detergent) Shortly afterwards the Citroen Picasso's high pressure pump failed. Traces of truck cleaner have no effect whatsoever on the Simms type inline pumps fitted to the HGVs, the problem is the new technology and ULSD which does not lubricate very well. Recently I was asked to look at an Iveco Ford lorry which had beccome a non-runner. Allegedly it had been ailing for quite a while so its owner replaced the lift pump. It has never run since and its highly likely that the high pressure pump will have failed. If one has the misfortune to own a common-rail vehicle it may be worth buying some two cycle engine oil and adding this to the fuel. Even a ratio of 100:1 or less will help. The oil is legal to burn in engines so they can't touch you for it. If two cycle oil is bought in 25 litre drums at the farmers supply store the cost will be reduced somewhat. Good luck.

Renault Megane 1.5 dci (80) Fuel pump - vmturbo

Re the metal shards, presumably the shards are steel? If so it should be possible to trap these with a high powered neodymium magnet. Not rocket science is it?