Damaged Boxster - Turbodog
Hi All

I've spotted a low mileage 2003 Porsche Boxster at an independent dealer which I fancy; the ad says;

".... was very lightly damaged, repaird by approved body shop, no welded panels replaced, as new condition throughout, any inspection welcome, hence bargain £23,950 may p/x..."

....which is a good price , and it looks nice in the photos. Given the above should I go near it? And if I do what could I do to confirm his claim that it was "very lightly damaged"

Thanks

Damaged Boxster - martint123
I'm suprised they mention it as I guess a large proportion of cars for sale have been though a bodyshop at some time.

As they do mention it then ask them why - is it on the HPI register as an insurance writeoff - it would have to be more than lightly damaged to be written off though.

Ask which bodyshop and call them, they may have before and after pictures available, taken for the insurance company.
Damaged Boxster - Aprilia
I suspect that they've mentioned it because its recorded with HPi. Look for jig clamp marks under the sills. Probably had the chassis 'pulled'. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable with spending that amount of money on a 'damaged repaired', but if you like it then have it thoroughly inspected, including a 3D chassis alignment check.
Damaged Boxster - Bill Payer
If it comes up on the HPI report then it could be very tough to sell on as it gets older, so you could end up losing more than you're saving now.
Damaged Boxster - Altea Ego
Ask yourself two questions.

1/ Why is it cheap
2/ If its cheap, why is it not sold.
Thanks for all the advice.

The reason I posted is because I'm wary; I will speak to the dealer anyway, but if the accident is on the HPI I won't bother with it.

Trouble is Porsche dealers are asking silly (very silly) money, and I'm a bit nervous of spending this much privately (and which would also leave me having to sell my car privately)
Phoned the dealer this morning; said it had "sold straightaway".
Keep looking....
Damaged Boxster - Roly93
The car may well have been perfectly okay, but the dealer went with the premise that it is better to be up-front with customers rather than them finding out via the HPI route.
Although I do agree I wouldn't spend this amount of money on a car that had anything more than cosmetic damage.
Damaged Boxster - martint123
If it was on HPI then it would have been written off by an insurance company. For a car of this value, that would be much more than just cosmetic damage.
Damaged Boxster - AR-CoolC
To be fair it could be a stolen recovered where the payout has already happened by the time the car was recovered. cosmetic damage caused by the theft etc.
Damaged Boxster - Adam {P}
It obviously wasn't meant to be.

Keep looking and you'll find an even better one!
Here's hoping; in fact a local independent dealer who has a good reputation says he can find me a good one, so I'll probably go with him....