VW Sharan or all spare wheel mechanism - Rats
Just had my VW Sharan serviced at a Nationwide Autocentre, they report that the spare wheel mechanism is not working properly and needs replacing. Told me that this is so common that they keep a spare one in stock and showed me it.

Is this really a common problem on Sharans or is it all VWs, or am I being spun a line??

They want nearly £170 parts and labour to replace it.
VW Sharan or all spare wheel mechanism - rustbucket
>>Is this really a common problem on Sharans or is it all VWs, or am I being spun a line

I think that the mechanism is the same as on the Galaxy. If it is not serviced regularily ie the cable ect is not greased and the wheel not lowered frequently it can sieze and cause problems.The Galaxy my wife had was serviced on a regular basis but the garage never once checked the spare wheel mechanism, so I regularly greased it and it gave no problems at all.

--
rustbucket (the original)
VW Sharan or all spare wheel mechanism - adverse camber
The cynic in me says that they have this 170 quid part that is cluttering up their shelf waiting for someone to buy it.

Why would National hold a part like this ? If it's so common a problem they would be in stock at the vw / ford dealer.
VW Sharan or all spare wheel mechanism - Ivor E Tower
Who's not been to www.fordgalaxy.org.uk then? Yes it is a common fault but with a bit of care, you should be able to free the existing cable. The new part costs just over £100 IIRC but is very simple to fit - about a 5-minute job (once you have got the old wheel and tyre off....) held by 3 bolts.
VW Sharan or all spare wheel mechanism - Rats
Just had a look at www.fordgalaxy.org.uk, but haven't found anything yet, can you point me at the appropriate post please??
VW Sharan or all spare wheel mechanism - sphere

are you still looking for that part or you have it now ..let me know i can solve your problem more comfortably and alot cheaper , just give me the registration year and few pics of spare wheel carrier

VW Sharan or all spare wheel mechanism - roscarbon

Hi sphere, I have same problem with an 03 VW Sharan. I took my spare wheel off, except it wouldn't come off so i had to smash the white plastic holder that fits through the spare underneath. I need to replace the white bit but probably means I have to replace the whole cable and all. Would love a cheaper solution because at those crazy prices I will just have to drive without a spare. :(

Can you help?

Thanks