No tax, MOT, insurance. - james26
Hi
Just thought members of the forum would like to comment on this and maybe suggest a solution:

A car locally to road tax ran out in August, now its end Sep and the guy still use it 3 to 4 times dally (which I see however) without a care in the world, in fact he has boasted I don't need a MOT every year. It dose not appear very road worthy too; only 1 brake light works and tyres look dodgy.

Now I thought enough is enough I will call the police and report him. After 3 tries all the reply I get is ?its a matter for DVLA and not a police issue?. I live deep in the countryside with low crime and I would guess not much for the boys in blue to do all day and thought they jump on this one, but no?

To say I lived with my local police is an understatement; this guy is clearly breaking a few laws but no, guess you need to kill someone before the police step in.

James.
No tax, MOT, insurance. - Dynamic Dave
Report it online, or by phone, or in writing.

www.dvla.gov.uk/public/unlic_veh/unlicenced.htm
No tax, MOT, insurance. - Civic8
As DD,I did use this service a while ago due to state of motor.It was clamped within a few days,I gather the owner was annoyed and between him and his mates smashed the car up.Waking everyone up at 2am in the morning,police were called and they were arrested.But the way I see it, most all pay road tax so why should anyone get away without
--
Steve
No tax, MOT, insurance. - Stuartli
Don't hesitate to let the DVLA have the details asap - as steve.o points out, why should these people get away with it at our expense?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Just been watching a Sky News piece about Durham traffic police nabbing around 100 motorists a month without insurance, MOT etc.

Showed some of the cars being crushed...:-)
No tax, MOT, insurance. - L'escargot
To avoid reprisals, just make sure that the owner doesn't find out that it was you that reported them. Tell NOBODY that you have done it.
--
L\'escargot.
No tax, MOT, insurance. - Dwight Van Driver
You must live in an area James whose Police Force has less than 4,000 officers so it cannot cope with this and other such matters. Salvation is at hand as, under current Home Office firm proposals, Forces are to be combined to get this magical number.

It is right that No Excise Licence in reality is not a "Police" offence. It is a Revenue Offence like Income Tax/No TV Licence. Plod cannot prosecute as such this offence. He reports it to DVLA who then, if required, authorises the matter to be taken to Court. Without that authorisation - no proceedings. Obviously the connection between Excise,Insurance,MOT cannot be ignored

With Insurance/MOT records being placed on the "Intelligence" files accessable by Plod, from a VRM, Plod should be able to tell instantly what the position is even down to Driving Licence, without having to sit for hours waiting for movement to check these.

Now armed with a statement (that is likely to be contested) from Joe Public that he has seen Mr Chav drive the vehicle on a road,
he can nip round and slap summons on the offender. But is Joe Public going to make such a statement which could lead to a lot of aggro?.

If DVLA are doing what they threaten then in the first few days of October their monthly cull of vehicles untaxed/unsorned from 1.9.05 should result in an £80 fine being sent to the culprit.

I have always been of the opinion that there is always a day of reckoning and the offnder in this case will, in the fullness of time,be checked and more so fall foul of ANPR and his sins discovered. Reporting such matters may well help.

dvd

But is Joe Public going to make such a statement which could lead to a lot of aggro?.>>

The whole point of being able to report such offences to the DVLA by e-mail or similar means these days is that it is done anonymously, which removes the risk of any comeback from those who have been reported.

I know that because I used to report my next door neighbour who always had several vehicles on the go, all without MOT, tax and insurance. I had to make the statement in writing and he was well aware of who had reported him as he saw/was sent the slip with my signature on it.

But I didn't see why I should pay all my dues whilst he got away with saving hundreds of pounds annually, as well as putting other members of the public at risk of financial losses if he had an accident. I know he and his wife did have minor accidents and that people kept coming to the house trying to get paid - always without success - because many of them spoke to me when they couldn't get a reply.

When the e-mail alternative of reporting offenders arose it made it much easier but, thankfully, the individual concerned seems to have learned his lesson and all three of his vehicles are properly taxed (at least).

No tax, MOT, insurance. - madf
No tax: avoiding revenue
No MOT: unsafe. A threat to others.
No insurance: could destroy other people's livelihoods.

An £80 fine seems cheap to me. I suggest Sharia law.
madf
No tax, MOT, insurance. - reevsie
The £80 fine is only any good if the car is registered inb their name, I know a couple of students that have registered their cars against a house that has been vacant for ages. Therefore they can generally stick their fingers up at parking attendants/speed cameras etc.
No tax, MOT, insurance. - L'escargot
<< all three of his vehicles are properly taxed
(at least).

If I remember correctly (which I don't always!) you have to show valid certificates of insurance and MOT before you can tax a vehicle, so they should be insured and MOTd as well.
--
L\'escargot.
>>so they should be insured and MOTd as well.>>

That was my original basic reasoning.

However, you could potentially go for some time without renewing MOT or insurance certificates if the excise licence renewal comes in part way through their lifespan.

Most people, like me, would automatically assume that because a vehicle is taxed it is also MOT'd and insured.
Stuartli thus stated:

"The whole point of being able to report such offences to the DVLA by e-mail or similar means these days is that it is done anonymously, which removes the risk of any comeback from those who have been reported."

But what do DVLA do with such reports? For the offence of using a vehicle without Excise Licence on a public road then there must be evidence for Court. Mere reporting does not attract a fine (yet). On anonymous reports this doesn't fit the bill as DVLA do not have a witness unless you give personal details within their reporting system. So they are pretty toothless on these reports.

But, they do have their own Enforcement Section and maybe collate these reports for attention when they are next in the area which could be weeks. Which is why many feel that little or no action is being taken in respect of their reports. It could help however in their monthly computro cull of vehicles not taxed or sorned.

Interesting point is that a speed camera only detects that offence and nothing on documentation. Should an offender also have to prove lawfully documented to be given a Conditional Offer?

Traffic Police do the opposite on a pull and check everything.......

dvd

dvd
No tax, MOT, insurance. - David Horn
Isn't it about time we had a camera that scanned a number plate and then checked a database for tax, insurance and MOT, and then despatched a hidden police car further along?
we had a camera that scanned a number plate>>

Already in existence and in use in patrol cars with many forces...:-)

www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/24/anpr_national_sys.../
>>But what do DVLA do with such reports?>>

The DVLA states that one of its representatives visits the address of the vehicle owner who has been reported to gather evidence.
No tax, MOT, insurance. - james26
Many thanks for all the replies over this, I will be on the phone to the DVLA when they open today.

Like others have pointed out it's not just having no tax it's no MOT and insurance. Just out of interest if he say had full insurance but no MOT and tax would he's insurance still be valid?

James.
if he say had full insurance but no MOT and tax would he's
insurance still be valid?

Nope.
Sorry DD but Insurance would stand for third party risks if MOT and Excise out of date.

dvd
I stand corrected.