Red road markings - L'escargot
I can't find any reference in the Highway Code to red markings on the road. I know what areas of white diagonal stripes (or chevrons) bordered by broken white lines in the middle of the road mean (Rule 109), but what is the significance of these when on a red background? Are they mandatory no-go areas?
--
L\'escargot.
Red road markings - Stuartli
The red backgrounds appear to be provided on a mandatory basis as they are used, for instance, for speed limit roundels on carriageways.

In my area, many junctions with traffic lights have approaching cycle lanes marked in red; at the lights themselves, the lane is extended to create a large red rectangular zone that uses the original stop line with a second stop line at the rear.

Only cyclists can enter the red zone whilst the traffic lights are at red with vehicles halting at the second stop line. This gives cyclists initial priority when the lights change if they are, for example, turning right.

Wherever possible, the local council also uses red surfacing to highlight cycle lanes on its roads.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Red road markings - L'escargot
I know what areas of white diagonal
stripes (or chevrons) bordered by broken white lines in the middle
of the road mean (Rule 109), but what is the significance
of these when on a red background? Are they mandatory no-go
areas?

I've just realised that narrow bands on a red background in the middle of a single carriageway road are unlikely to be mandatory no-go areas, because they would then be the same as double white lines ~ except more expensive.
--
L\'escargot.
Red road markings - Robin Reliant
The red background is used just to highlight the area bordered by the lines. It has no legal meaning in itself.
>>It has no legal meaning in itself.>>

If you park on the main red cycle path in my town centre you get a parking ticket (except for disabled drivers, a point which defeats the idea of keeping cycle lanes free flowing and unobstructed)...
Red road markings - Bromptonaut
Stuart,

The red itself has no significance, you get the parking ticket for being on the cycle path, marked and signed as such. Same applies whether it's the more usual green or just left in macadam "au naturel"
Red road markings - Doc
The red itself has no significance, you get the parking ticket
for being on the cycle path, marked and signed as such.

Are you sure this is correct?
I thought that parking restrictions on the road had to be applied via yellow lines.

Red road markings - Bromptonaut
From the Highway Code:-

Cycle lanes. These are shown by road markings and signs. You MUST NOT drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a solid white line during its times of operation. Do not drive or park in a cycle lane marked by a broken white line unless it is unavoidable. You MUST NOT park in any cycle lane whilst waiting restrictions apply.
Law RTRA sects 5 & 8

>>Are you sure this is correct?>>

It's on a road that I don't normally use as I have no need to go to any shopping centres or premises it serves, so I'll have to check next time I'm in the area.

But the local papers have been full of complaints for a long time from people who've been booked for parking on the cycle path (except the disabled)...:-)