A34 Oxford area speed cameras? - Pigleted
This was passed onto me today and seems to come from a member of Thames V Police Roads Policing. May just save you some points if you use the A34 over the coming months:
>
>
>
A lot of you will use the A34 north of Oxford either for travelling to and from work or in the course of your work.

I have had a meeting with the contractors today and thought it wise to advise everyone that from sometime next fully active speed cameras will be in place and in operation. The Safer Roads Partnership vans will also be enforcing the 40mph speed limit through the road work section.

During the day it may appear that no work is taking place. This is true because the majority of work is being done overnight to reduce the impact on traffic. However there are long sections of central crash barrier that have been removed and the speed limit is in place as a safety measure.

The roadworks are due to last until mid February next year. Drive safely and look after your driving licence!
WARNING: New Speed Camera - smokie
Not a speed camera, but a friend who I usually trust has sent me the following email:

Thought it would be helpful to let you know. I have been informed today that there will be increased police activity in the following areas for the next 7 weeks. This is due to a TV show being filmed for BBC South as a consequence police are more likely to be working to rule and a lot less lenient than usual. Area from Ringwood - M27, M27 J5 - Cosham, M3 Winchester South - Winchester Services, Southampton Ring Road (around Totton). Police will be using 6 unmarked cars (2x black skoda octavia's, 1x grey skoda octavia's, a red '05 reg' mondeo and two volvo saloons). BBC crew will be in Citroen Picasso's.

It could, of course, be wrong...
WARNING: New Speed Camera - mscott
I saw a marked police Volvo estate on the M27 last weekend who had pulled some-one over, and with a (big, on the shoulder)TV camera filming it all.
WARNING: New Speed Camera - PoloGirl
Not a speed camera, but a friend who I usually trust
has sent me the following email:
Thought it would be helpful to let you know. I have
been informed today that there will be increased police activity in
the following areas for the next 7 weeks. This is due
to a TV show being filmed for BBC South as a
consequence police are more likely to be working to rule and
a lot less lenient than usual. Area from Ringwood - M27,
M27 J5 - Cosham, M3 Winchester South - Winchester Services, Southampton
Ring Road (around Totton). Police will be using 6 unmarked cars
(2x black skoda octavia's, 1x grey skoda octavia's, a red '05
reg' mondeo and two volvo saloons). BBC crew will be
in Citroen Picasso's.
It could, of course, be wrong...

It is wrong. They're filming with the officers for Traffic Cops, and are on all of the roads in the county, not just the motorways. And it's not a fleet of cars as described - it's one crew (usually just a camera operator and maybe one other person) in the usual traffic cars, policing and working as usual.

Also, I drive that bit of the M3 HJ mentions every single day and the only generator I've seen is the one to power the lights because they work in the dark.

WARNING: New Speed Camera - aggrieved
I got notification of a 40 in a 30 on Ringwood Road, Netley Marsh, luckily my wife was driving that day but I was in the passenger seat and couldn't remember ever seeing a camera. So, I drove up the day I heard of the 'offence' and still couldn't see a camera or a police car.

As you drive off down to the road from the M27, you approach the roundabout at up to 60, the limit. Turning right to go to Bartley the 30 sign is almost immediately sited as soon as you come off the roundabout, so you can't see it until you are just about to pass it. With traffic following you, sudden braking is likely to cause the traffic behind to run into the back of each other. Having noticed this, and accept that most traffic would still be slowing down (if you are coming UP to the roundabout from Hythe you turn left and would have even less time to see the 30 sign).

Anyway, I digress. So I drove either way and saw no camera, van or anyone at the side of the road with a camera. Blow me but I then got another notification that I had been clocked doing 37 on that road, while I was looking for the camera that caught my wife! I, like many, many others I suspect, have been done for exceeding the limit while slowing down from the previous, higher limit. I may be wrong, but I think that that first stretch of road is 30 going West, but 40 heading toward the roundabout. Stupid to let you speed up as you approach the roundabout going one way and making you slow down immediately you come off it!

Is there a 'slow-down' distance allowed if you're coming round corners, off roundabouts like this one. If you can't see the sign until you're only 20 yards or less away, drivers can't be expected to slam on their brakes as soon as they see it - or can they?
WARNING: New Speed Camera - NowWheels
Is there a 'slow-down' distance allowed if you're coming round corners off roundabouts like this
one. If you can't see the sign until you're only 20 yards or less away
drivers can't be expected to slam on their brakes as soon as they see it
- or can they?

I can't think of any roundabout I have encountered which I would navigate at over 30mph. I can imagine that a slightly higher speed might be suitable at a very large diameter roundabout with very clear sightlines, but all the big ones I can think of are at motorway intersections where the sightlines are poor.
WARNING: New Speed Camera - Bromptonaut
So you went to check the site of your wife's NIP and got booked yourself by the same camera? That's quite funny really!!!

But surely a speed limit change from one road to another is somthing one should anticipate? And having looked at this junction on google maps I cannot see how one could negotiate a right turn without slowing well below thirty.

WARNING: New Speed Camera - gordonbennet
But surely a speed limit change from one road to another is something one should
anticipate?

Trouble is with all the road furniture and myriads of signs all over the shop it's too easy to miss the important one....speaking of which i have yet to see the sign that takes the A13 Eastbound from 40 to 50 limit around the Barking area, i went down there yesterday and i do look for the proper sign but again i missed it and then realised others have sped up and then i notice the 50 repeaters...it must be me i suppose.

On a general speed camera note, i see more of these very high set cameras appearing now, they must be some 20 ft high, is that to deter vigilante action...will we see capitan gatso's mate's on stilts striding the highways.;)
WARNING: New Speed Camera - artful dodger {P}
A227 Meopham, Kent. The damaged camera (Gatso) that was removed a few weeks ago has now been reinstated.

It is situated outside the Roman Catholic church, just north of Camer Parade shops and the junction to Cobham. It covers traffic moving in both directions.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
You should learn
Watch your speed - Smarttrams
Watch your speed along tha M27-M3 corridors for the next two weeks as the police are doing a work to rule. they will have you for the slightest thing wrong with your car or truck. BEWARE!!!
Watch your speed - JohnD
On the dual carriaged A24 at Ewell, where for years there's been a Gatso, frequently turned to face the other way - well no longer - they've fitted a second one, almost back to back.
M25 New Cameras Now Active? - TheGrocer
Hi Room
As a regualr M25er I have noticed the new overhead gantry speed warnings along the newly completed/resurfaced lanes near the Heathrow turnoff are now active. The speed warnings appear to be working however I can see no sign of the cameras on the back of the gantries. Its not like the plod to miss a chance at some extra cash. Perhaps they are waiting for the rest of the roadworks to be completed or are they allready there and I have missed them.
Any one got any ideas?

Also as a man of Kent..Be Warned. The Kent plod are having a "Speed Kills" Awareness week to try and reduce the rising road fatalities in the county. I saw 3 mobile speed traps today on the M20 bridge jct 3 to 2 coastbound, M26 Bridge london bound and on the A20 approaching Maidstone. If they were retailers they would call it "End Of Season Maddness..All speeds must be reduced this week only"

Drive Safe
--
\" Keep doing the same old thing, youll get the same old thing, try something different today!\"
M25 New Cameras Now Active? - Chas{P}
Drove that section of the M25 last night. Now have a nagging thought about active cameras on those gantry's. If anyone can enlighten us it would be much appreciated....
--
Was Charles {P} but someone c o p i e d my name with spaces.
M25 New Cameras Now Active? - Altea Ego
Re the new M25 road and gantries. The do not have gatso's mounted on them, nor will they.

There will however be a form of Specs installed to average your speed between sets of gantries displaying the same speed. So when its all completed, from M4 J14 to J10 you will be timed all the way through.
A3 South @ Shannon Corner flyover - henry k
HJ & RF and others

If you are not aware the Gatso on the A3 southbound at the bottom of the flyover over Shannons Corner, just past Tescos, is back in place.
This one was hit and removed many months ago but has very recently been reinstalled.
I have no idea if it has been reloaded.
So an added problem is that we locals who have been ignoring the lines all this time will now find many people hitting the brakes.
A3 South @ Shannon Corner flyover - scotty
Just for info ...

I got stopped the other week (not ticketed or ouwt, just a ntp) on the A66, west of Penrith by an unmarked black Octavia. It's a VR6 or whatever, so be warned. He didn't like my overtaking, for Christ's sake. My biggest complaint wasn't that he only looked about 18, it was the gel in hair. Maybe I'm getting old but really :-)
A660 / Headingley Lane - David Horn
Looks like they're getting ready to turn the two cameras on Headingley lane in Leeds on. New signs have gone up, the control boxes are installed, and the lens caps have been removed.

They look like traffic light cameras - ie, two lenses.

Each camera still has a "NOT IN USE" sticker on it, but take care.
M6 J36 To Burton Services - LongDriver {P}
SPECS in use in this section of contraflow. Be warned. This is the furthest north they've had SPECS on the M6.
A3 South @ Shannon Corner flyover - Altea Ego
Cheers Henry, I have been sailing past that "blank" site for too long. It would probably have caught me out.,

What did happen to the original? it must have been nearly two years ago it went.
A3 South @ Shannon Corner flyover - Rattle
I noticed up the East Lancs yesterday there is lots and lots of blue boxes workmen were fitting which will house a camera. They seem to be for average speed cameras. That road is already full of GATSOs so I don't really get the point.
A642 Wakefield Road - galileo
The local authority has put up 15 new speed cameras on a 6 mile stretch ofthe A642 between the junction with A629 at Waterloo, Huddersfield and the National Mining Museum.
To save money, only 3 of the 15 installations will actually have cameras, these will start operating in November according to the local paper.