USA tyre pressures same as UK? - Editor
Hi all.

On vacaation, sorry, hols as I type. Friends have hired a new chrysler sebring 2.7L GTC, which is a convertible. But it handles like a barge. I thought USA cars had come on a bit. So I check tyre pressure plate in door & it say 30psi on goodyear eagle LS P205/goR16/91T. Seems very low, given my golf cab is 35 psi all round & a quick look at comparable weight cars like volvo convertible & Audi have 34psi. Sooo, are we talking the same definitions of PSI here?

Not exactly quick either! Ho hum, like you can drive fast over here anyhow, but it would be confidence boosting if it were to change direction roughly when you asked it too & not give the feeling that the tyre are just about to roll off the rims.

Any thoughts all?

Many Thanks

PS They have some really low octane fuel out here. 87 seems to considered a bit of a luxury-sebring is calibrated to run on this & has no sensors to retard for anything higher. & all the new car ads are shouting about cars that return over 30 mpg as something good. And they're all upset that
fuel is now over $3 a gallon. Bless...
USA tyre pressures same as UK? - martint123
30psi isn't low. Mine are recommended to be 26psi.

Hi Martin

OK, but I've never had a car with pressures below 30 & that includes such heavyweights on skinny tyres as Ford Fiestas, Fiats & the like. What car on what size tyres are you referring to?

Thanks for the reply.
USA tyre pressures same as UK? - smokie
Can't help with the tyre pressures but I have gone for the Sebring for my last two visits and can confirm that it is not that quick. Or it doesn't feel it. But then...I drive a 3.0 here! :-)

I *do* enjoy the convertible thing, but they seem quite out of fashion in the US.
USA tyre pressures same as UK? - martint123
26 is the MX5 14" tyres.

www.thetyrepressuremonitor.com/tyrepressures_mazda...l

28 is better though, I think 26 is specified for a 'comfortable' ride for the US market.

Martin
USA tyre pressures same as UK? - Gazza
Please note that a US Gal is less than an Imperial Gal (3.9 litre per Gal vs 4.5L per Gal). Therefore, the mpg figure quoted in the US will always be less that in UK.
Interesting!! Forgot that about septic vs uk gallons, so cheers Smokie.

Having been in the thing again today it seems to wander a bit over the road. Or it could be that the driver wasn't paying full attention. Well to the road anyhow. All those young Vermont studenty girlies....

Thanks all!
USA tyre pressures same as UK? - Ashleyg
Dont worry too much - if its an American car it will handle like crap no matter how much air you put in the tyres. The only difference with the chrysler is that if you put a lot of wind in the tyres, the car will have a bumpy ride and the car will handle like a barge.

USA tyre pressures same as UK? - Kevin
>if its an American car it will handle like crap no matter how much air
>you put in the tyres.

Mmm,there must be something wrong with my Z28 then. Must get it checked out.

The Corvettes at Le Mans must have been put together wrong too.

Still, I bow to your superior knowledge and experience.

Kevin...
USA tyre pressures same as UK? - John S
The UK uses 'Research Octane Number' (RON) as the measurement system. Us octane numbers are based on a different measurement system to the UK, which gives lower numbers. The fuels are actually similar.

JS
USA tyre pressures same as UK? - Claude
The lb and the square inch (as in PSI) are the same values in USA as in UK. Though its true that the US ton and the UK ton are NOT the same, being 2000lbs and 2240 lbs respectively.
USA tyre pressures same as UK? - s2driver
Even IF the PSI were different, the local gauges would be reading correctly !
USA tyre pressures same as UK? - trancer
Somewhere there must be a US based motoring website with members complaining about the rough ride and twitchy steering of the European car they rented while on vacation in Europe. No doubt they will also have have posted trying to find a way to "fix" the strange behaviour and make the car more smooth and comfortable.