Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo? - drbe
Advice and opinions sought.

I am thinking of buying a new car, principally for SWMBO, but I will drive it from time to time.

The choice is between : Toyota Avensis, Ford Mondeo, Mazda 6, with Honda Accord and Nissan Primera as second string.

It MUST have Auto box and cruise control, I would ideally like sat. nav. and diesel - which rules out all of them except the Ford.

Most important, it must be reiable.

What do you think?

Don
Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo? - Dynamic Dave
Vauxhall Signum 1.9 TDCi. Will have CC as standard, and most probably Sat Nav, as I think that's also standard now.

Not sure if it'll have a 5 speed or 6 speed auto box on the 1.9 TDCi (150 ps) engine.
Vauxhall Signum 1.9 TDCi. Will have CC as standard, and most
probably Sat Nav, as I think that's also standard now.
Not sure if it'll have a 5 speed or 6 speed
auto box on the 1.9 TDCi (150 ps) engine.

>

Is it a new car? I don't think I have heard of it before.

And, and, and is it reliable? What Car? place Vauxhall 19th out of 30. Which? says the Vectra is unreliable. Is it Omega size/based?
Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo? - mare
A Signum is a stretched Vectra with a hatch. Have a look in the CBCB. Sort of the replacement for the Omega, but not Omega based.

Think Renualt Vel Satis / White Elephant. Cheap second hand apparently. Looks too much like a Vectra for me.
HJ's CBCB doesn't speak to well of it. I incline to the Toyota or the Mazda - I think I would know what I was getting there.
A Signum is a stretched Vectra with a hatch.

But believe it or not, the Vectra has a larger boot area than the Signum.
Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo? - mare
But believe it or not, the Vectra has a larger boot
area than the Signum.

I can quite believe it. What i can't get over is the premium they charge for it, especially when in everyone's mirror it looks like a £5k Vectra.
And, and, and is it reliable? What Car? place Vauxhall 19th
out of 30. Which? says the Vectra is unreliable. Is it
Omega size/based?

The only thing unreliable are those reports. What those reports don't take into account is the amount sold compared with those that go wrong. If Vauxhall sell 20 million cars, then of course some of them are going to potentially go wrong. If someone like Toyota sell only 100,000 cars, then less are going have potential problems as it's a smaller ratio of sales compared to problems.
The only thing unreliable are those reports. What those reports don't
take into account is the amount sold compared with those that
go wrong. If Vauxhall sell 20 million cars, then of course
some of them are going to potentially go wrong. If someone
like Toyota sell only 100,000 cars, then less are going have
potential problems as it's a smaller ratio of sales compared to
problems.

There is a flaw in your argument, if only I could think what it is.

Ah, yes, I know. The reliability rates are just that - they are rates, they record that the Vectra for example has - say - 25 faults per 100 cars, whilst the Avensis has a fault rate of - say - 2 per 100 cars.

The number of cars sold is not relevant, provided sufficient numbers of each model have been sold to make the figures statistically valid.
Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo? - turbo11
As a Mazda 6 owner,I would recommend it.Very reliable,great handling and economy.Just make sure that the ride is not too firm and sporty for you.
Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo? - Happy Blue!
As said above only the Mondeo does diesel and auto.

Mondeo TDCi is a loved car in this forum! but all the others are good cars and the Honda is probably the best although some people have issues with economy of the diesel.

However, as the car must be auto, and assuming a petrol engine - it's Honda all the way. It is way ahead of the others.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo? - nutty_nissan
Go for any of the Jap models. Fords are reliable, but Japanese are even more reliable. Look at any owner satisfaction survey. The Honda is a class act, but take a drive in the Avensis, the ride is very comfy, but still handles good too.
Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo? - Quinny100
The auto version of the Mondeo TDCi isn't all that brilliant. As a manual its great but the autobox is rather laggy which is a PITA when trying to make a quick getaway from a junction or onto a roundabout.
Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo? - blue_haddock
I'd go for an Avensis T4 2.2 D4D over the others but it isn't available with auto. If you want auto more than diesel i wouldn't look at the Avensis autos as their not particularly quick or economical in auto form
Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo? - bikemade3
Jason Dawe in Sundays paper had Nissan Primera's at good dicount.Link to you to New Car Contract had Primera 2.2DCI SX 138 5 DOOR @£12922 inc 3 years warranty, 12 months RFL,12 Months breakdown assistance,supplied from UK dealer.

Don't know if it's good but seems OK to me.
Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo? - midlifecrisis
I've driven tens of thousands of miles in a Vectra under the most extreme conditions. They've proved so durable, I went out and bought one for myself!!
Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo? - Vincent de Marco
I'd take Vectra & Signum (though mind you, facelifted only!).
Ave is pretty OK, but also getting old, will be facelifted in Spring 2006 I guess, which is a shame as it needs a decent make-up right now.
- - - - - - -
I am the only Pole over here.
Hmm, I've just noticed they dropped that awesome 3.2 V6 beast and introduced a twin-turbo 2.8 V6. Not bad...
- - - - - - -
Hmm, I've just noticed they dropped that awesome 3.2 V6 beast
and introduced a twin-turbo 2.8 V6. Not bad...
- - - - - - -

Which model are you refering to? I mean, Vectra, Signum, or what?
>> Hmm, I've just noticed they dropped that awesome 3.2 V6
beast
>> and introduced a twin-turbo 2.8 V6. Not bad...
>> - - - - - - -
>> I am the only Pole over here.
Which model are you refering to? I mean, Vectra, Signum, or
what?

Vectra & Signum.

- - - - - - -
Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo? - tack
The Avensis is very big. If SWMBO is not happy with a car larger than the average, may have trouble.
Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo? - Gazza
Please note that the autoboxes for Ford FWD cars are not very reliable, maybe you get 100k out of it but more likely 70k.

Autobox for RWD Ford are more reliable though!
Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo? - aylesby
I have a manual Mondeo 2.0 Dtci 130 Ghia X. Over two years and 40,000 miles from new it has been trouble free and a pleasure.
I like the Primera SVE but have heard the diesel is not so good on fuel consumption so consider petrol.
The Honda is too tight in the back for three so a none starter for me.
The newer Mazda diesels may have clutch problems. This is a good looking car.
Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo? - Smileyman
Primera has cruise control + sat nav as standard, auto option and diesel option, although not sure if diesel is from Renault.
Avensis, Mazda 6 or Mondeo? - IanJohnson
I looked at estates 18 months ago but for a company car and test drove several (some for 2 weeks)

Mondeo (Mk1V) was fine if a little too common, can't stand the cream oval clock in the Ghia or the four spoke steering wheel. The cruise switches click when operated and drove SWMBO up the wall. Driving gently (60) on the M1 in December the TDCi 130 would not keep the cabin warm.

Mazda was discounted due to high emissions and poor option availability - do they only do one colour interior?

VW was getting a bit expensive on lease (outgoing model) and dealer service is awful (was getting rid of a Passat)

Don't like the look of the Avensis and the trim spec I wanted was not done in the diesel.

Vectra - dreadful interior and still the 2.0/2.2 diesels then so emissions were awful - too much tax.

Laguna - from our fleet experience I would not have a renault - I like to know that I am going to get home at night.

Honda is nearly as big as the Ford inside, good spec and handling, good emissions (not relevant for a private buy) and still relatively unusual. With that much torque you hardly need the gearbox. 48k miles in 18 months and I love it! Only issues are that with 1/3 of the rear seat folded only one of the seatbelts is usable and the CD does not have a shuffle button.