Biodiesel and VAG cars - Dr Rubber
In light of the current cost of diesel, I was considering using Biodiesel in my 1.9 TDI Touran. A quick look at the user manual suggests a modification may be required, but other than that not a problem. The dealer however looked on their technical documentation which said biodiesel should not be used in a Touran at all (and Golf V, Golf plus and New Passat). This he explained to due to the fuel filter being too fine and/or the particulate filter.

A couple of questions:
Anybody else heard that a fuel filter can be too fine?
Also, on the continent, in many contries all diesel is 5% bio. The dealer thinks that this is also a no-no! Any comments?

I think the dealer is getting confused :-(

Joe
Biodiesel and VAG cars - prm
It says the same in my manual for a 2.0dti Vectra c, what if you want to drive abroad? i'm confused. And what damage can biodiesel do?
I know biodiesel is a better solvent than the standard stuff, so it will slowly disolve in-compatable rubber hoses and seals. It also gels at -10 deg C (like summer diesel). Whats more anoying is that older VAG diesels would run on 100% biodiesel without a problem, you just altered the maintenance schedule slightly.
Joe
Biodiesel and VAG cars - Aprilia
IIRC 2003-on VAG's will not run biodiesel unless they have the factory-fit biodiesel fuel system option - which presumably very few have.
Biodiesel and VAG cars - Zippy123
According to the brochure for the Touran 1.9 TDI 105 they can :

www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/pdf/touran_brochure.pdf

Look under engines 1.9TDI

I take no responsibility for any damage to your vehicle though.
Biodiesel and VAG cars - Aprilia
Copied of channel 4 car website:

"Until mid-2004, the Volkswagen Group warranted its diesel engines to run on biodiesel (from an accredited source and conforming to the DIN 51606 standard), but concerns over the sensitivity of the latest-generation Pumpe-Duse and piezo-injection fuel injection systems and the quality of the biodiesel fuels available have resulted in a change of policy. It now only warrants its diesel engines for a 5 percent blend. Owners of older VW Group diesels may find their cars can run on biodiesel - but must call their relevant customer services department and quote an engine code to check this for certain."
Biodiesel and VAG cars - Cyd
Same goes for Land Rover - 5% max
Biodiesel and VAG cars - defender
and to think they call it progress
Biodiesel and VAG cars - Collos25
What do you mean by the continent ,if you mean europe than diesel is the same as it is here. You have theoption to buy bio diesel in some places it is 95%normal diesel and 5% bio mix.
Biodiesel and VAG cars - wd 40
All french diesel has, for a number of years, been at least 5% rapeseed oil or similar.
Now on one hand,I cant see VAG producing a different engine for the french market, on the other I can see that the PD engine seems to have a different set of requirements, and if somebody told me that VAG only sold non-PD engines in france, i'd believe them. But if that was an issue, presumably VAG would have to tell everybody they sold a car to, never to fill up with french diesel, and I can't really see that working, given the amount of cross border driving that goes on these days

p.s. - I have run my 1.9 tdi (ALH engine, non pdi) on a mixture of garage stuff and the local cash and carry's best cooking oil (20%) without any problem

Biodiesel and VAG cars - andymc {P}
VAG don't produce different engines for the French market. However, the 5% biodiesel added to French fuel (biodiesel rather than straight rapeseed oil) is still within the 5% warranty conditions for the PD engines. In any case, 5% biodiesel blend falls under the EN590 standard, just like ordinary diesel - all diesel engines are designed to run on fuel that meets that standard, whatever the monkeys on the end of the Customer Service line of (insert manufacturer here) might tell you. However, the fuel used for the biodiesel portion must meet the EN14214 standard.

Non PD VAG engines run fine on 100% biodiesel made to that standard (which has now replaced the German DIN 51606 that used to be the accepted standard across Europe). My Leon TDi 110 has run for nearly 60000 miles over the past 4 years on the stuff since I bought the car was brand new, and the Passat TDi 110 I acquired at 90k or thereabouts is now closing in on 120k having been run almost exclusively on biodiesel throughout my ownership.
My father has just purchased a new Cordoba with the 1.4 PD engine and wants to use 100% biodiesel, in spite of the 5% warranty condition. As a precaution, I have advised him to mix at least 25% derv with the biodiesel to ensure that viscosity is not an issue. It shouldn't be, as biodiesel made to the EN14214 standard has a viscosity measurement that overlaps that of mineral diesel.

I know I've posted this before, but the table on this link should be of interest for comparing the two fuels (scroll to the bottom, and treat with caution the list at the top of the page as some of the information there may be out of date).
www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/approvals.htm

By the way, Peugeot's HDi engines are warranted for using up to 30% biodiesel blended with derv. Those engines are fitted to many Ford cars - as well as the Jaguar S-Type.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Thanks for the reply guys.
Doing some more digging, it would appear that the option to run on 100% bio is not available in the UK, or if it is I can't find it on any UK pricelist. Looks like I'll either have to do some DIY blending (if I can be bothered) or stick to Dino diesel :-(
Next time I'll specify the right code on the order form!
Joe
wishing for that doughnut aroma....
Biodiesel and VAG cars - JohnM{P}
I've looked at the German VW website; the option to allow bio-diesel to DIN EN 14214 down to -10 degrees C costs 195 euros.
(Golf 105 TDi price list; btw, in addition to the Sports suspension option, there's also a 'Bad roads' option that raises the suspension by 20mm - the corresponding 'Speedhump' option is another that is not offered in the UK!)
Biodiesel and VAG cars - andymc {P}
If you browse through the site I posted a link to, you will see a list of biodiesel outlets in the UK. There's also a firm that allows you to mail order the fuel. I get my biodiesel in Belfast, which probably isn't much good to you!
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Thanks Andy. I looked at the link earlier, and the place that mails orders it is not to far from me. I just can't use it!
Oh well, the biodiesel option joins a list of things I would like and can't get on a UK spec'd car.
Joe

Biodiesel and VAG cars - Collos25
All diesel in France is not 5% bio it may be 5%of all diesel sold .And on the production line there is no difference between cars for mainland europe and the UK only the obvious,there is an option in Germany I think for a fuel line heater as the weather in parts of Germany and Switzerland are far colder than the UK in winter.