BMW E36 radio removal method - John S
Can anyone advise on the technique for removing the original BMW 'Business' radio/cassette from an E36 3 Series? The radio has a little flap on each side covering what I guess are the removal clips, but after fiddling round for a while I can't see what I need to do with them to release the radio. Thanks in anticipation

JS
BMW E36 radio removal method - elekie&a/c doctor
Hinge open the flaps & recessed you will find 2 hex drive allen screws (1 each side).Rotate anti clock quite a few turns to release the side sliders.It is a very small size ,approx 2mm.
Many thanks! I'll dig through the Allen key tin. I assume the radio simply pulls out once these have been released?

JS
Partial sucess. Found the correct size allen key and loosened the screws, but the radio seems firmly stuck in the dash and simply won't shift. Most of the problem is there's nothing to get hold of. Tried fingers in the cassette slot, and hooking Allen keys in the sides behind the flaps and pulling but to no avail. No obvious easy way of getting behind the radio. Any more tricks of the trade?

JS
BMW E36 radio removal method - elekie&a/c doctor
The allen screws have to be unscrewed at least 15-20 turns to release the radio from the aperture,then gentle easing with your fingers in the cassette slot & you should be able to slide the unit forward.
Ah! As many as that! Thanks

JS