VW Passat Whirring! - summerflame
I have a whirring noise coming from back nearside. Got the wheel bearings checked - these are fine. When reaching 70mph there is slight vibration felt but not in the steering. Also at this speed the noise gets louder. Any ideas? Thanks
VW Passat Whirring! - JohnM{P}
Are your rear tyres worn unevenly?
See
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=65...5
VW Passat Whirring! - Bill Payer
Never seen that post before but I had *exactly* the same thing on a Peugeot 406 (leased company car). The Firestone tyres had worn every alternate block. It was only noticed because the dealers very zealous MOT tester failed it - he had to point out the problem to both me and the service manager before we could see it.
Anyway, replacing the tyre cured the 'bearing' noise that had got steadily worse over the preceeding few months.
VW Passat Whirring! - El Dingo
Could be a siezed rear caliper, causing the (totally worn out inner pad) to make the whirring noise - metal to metal against the disc...

El Dingo.
VW Passat Whirring! - Civic8
only as mentioned wheel bearing,unless you have tyre out of round but this makes the car vibrate usually.would think its wheel bearing.due to noise
--
Steve
VW Passat Whirring! - Mondaywoe
Not something as simple as a stone/nail stuck in tyre or inside a wheeltrim? Have you tried swopping the wheel with a front one to eliminate the wheel / tyre?

Graeme
VW Passat Whirring! - Civic8
depends on bearing installed,compressed bearing is not easy to notice if worn.taper type adjustable from nut/unless badly worn can be adjusted.certainly sounds like wheel bearing.
--
Steve