Strained noise from mondeo normal? - jamoor
The dealer assured that the noise is just normal but on cold starts especially there is what i can only describe as a vibrating type sound coming from the engine, kinda like something is loose maybe?

its a ghia x tdci 2005.

also when driving the car i have managed to stall it 3 times, 2 of them dangerously, ie junction.
does the car need loadsa gas to get going or is it my car that is messed up, if i let the car drive forward with no revs slowly the revs dip suddenly and then just before the car stalls they shoot up to stop it from stalling, is this normal?
Strained noise from mondeo normal? - rtj70
Initial thoughts on the noise... you're joking about not knowing why it sounds "like a diesel" right? Your description is how any diesel might sound when cold. When they are warmed up the "rattle" diminishes and on the move at decent speed I'd say my diesel is quieter than a petrol - 70mph at 2000rpm.

When I test drove a Mondeo TDCi (mine is one also - I liked and got one) I stalled it all to easily at the outset but with well adjusted seat (and right foot) never had the problem in the one that I got new almost 2 years ago.
I own 2 other diesel cars so its not that
its a rattle thats coming from the engine. like something is loose?
i havent actually checked what goes on when warm so i will report.

gotta get used to the clutch now and stop making dangerous manouvres!

Alot different to driving my other 2 toyotas which just go with no gas!
Strained noise from mondeo normal? - rtj70
You do know the Mondeo TDCi engine is built on the same production line as the Transit diesel.... Same engine block i think. It is rattly until warmed up and I think that's what the dealer is saying maybe?

Once warmed up it's a lot better. At cold not as good as some of the competition maybe.

Assume the test drive vehicle had similar problems unless maybe they pre-warmed it?
Strained noise from mondeo normal? - Blue {P}
If the noise that you describe isn't the Diesel sound, and it goes away when you dip the clutch, then it is just the clutch release bearings and it is perfectly normal.

As for the stalling, it is vaugely possible that the car might need some sort of ECU tweak, but it's unlikely. I used to stall the things all the time, that was when I used to be in and out of different cars all day long, when I got in a Mondeo TDCi I invariably stalled it. They just do need a lot of right foot to pull away with.

In the period that I have owned my TDCi Focus I have adapted to this and haven't stalled it for a while, I think that once you drive the car day in day out you will adjust quickly.

Enjoy it anyway, it's a great car!

Blue
Crap, i have to drive 3 different cars,
will i ever get used to it :D LOL
Strained noise from mondeo normal? - Blue {P}
Forgot to add, the clutch release bearing noise affects most late model Fords, including the petrol ones. Try pressing and releasing the clutch whilst in neutral and stationary and I'm sure you'll hear what I mean.

Blue
Strained noise from mondeo normal? - cheddar
It is easy to stall a TDCi until you get used to it's charateristics, I stalled the 3 or 4 times though have not had any probs in 95k miles in my own.

I would say that mine is pretty quiet from cold, better than a 320d and Golf 2.0 TDi that I have come across recently. However there is a know issue, the auxliary drive belt can occelate on idle, requires new pulley, belt and tensioner, covered under a Ford TSB, I would expect a 2005 car to have the modified parts fitted though ask the dealer.

Regards.
Strained noise from mondeo normal? - prm
The stalling issue is a pain with these cars, put me off getting one, got a new shape Vectra instead, much nicer in traffic just lift the clutch and creep forward, no throttle needed.