Silly signs - frazerjp
Whilst travelling on the A41 today towards Waddesdon: I noticed a sign by the side of the road that read "Delicious Fuel Here!" written in vinyl on black background.

Surely the garage assistant must of had a heavy night on the tiles or something because i dont think we should be encouraging the public to drink unleaded instead of water or juice should we now??!! That would be a very silly thing to do!!

Has anyone else read any signs that seemed missleading?

--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Silly signs - Steptoe
Someone round here writes " RSPSA informed " on the temporary Highways Agency signs which state " Cats eyes removed "
Silly signs - blue_haddock
There is a "STOP" sign on one of the back roads in stoke which has been adorned with graffiti so it now reads "STOP hammertime!"
Silly signs - Colonel Panic
I once saw a sign that said
"CAR PARK - 50 YARDS 7 & 3/4 INCHES"
--
Sorry for any typos Im very long sited
Silly signs - Stuartli
There was a Soft Shoulders sign on a bypass near us - somewhat had added Warm Thighs in chalk underneath.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Silly PROPER sign - henry k
There was a proper triangular warning sign erected on the A312, in a 30 mph zone, at Feltham just by Heathrow.
Under the exclamation mark it had two words and no grafitti.

Trees
Removed

I was so amazed I took a photo of it.
I can only guess what the intention was.
The trees were originally along side the ramp of a railway bridge but had been cut down so the statement was true.
They would have acted as a natural barrier to prevent vehicles falling off the road.
Once the trees were removed there was an increased risk of a nasty drop off the road until bridge improvement were completed.

A sign as meaningless as that is a distraction.
Why not a more meaningful words like - Danger No Barrier and an image like the one for soft verges.
Silly signs - Stuartli
Presumably if you find some tasty sandwiches you tell the assistant that diesel do nicely?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Silly signs - tack
Presumably if you find some tasty sandwiches you tell the assistant
that diesel do nicely?

Bott, dat'll only be in Liverpool? Calm down, calm down!
Silly signs - Adam {P}
I don't know what's worse. Stuart's joke, the fact I've only just got Stuart's joke, or Tack's impression on one can only guess, someone from the best part of Merseyside ;-)
--
Adam
Silly signs - mfarrow
The A511 between Newhall and Burton northbound has countdown posts scattered along it (for no overtaking??) which read something like 532yrds, 298yrds, 163yrds. Taking accuracy to the extreme!

--------------
Mike Farrow
Silly signs - Dynamic Dave
One of the roads leading into Lambourne (famous for race horses apparantly) - someone once changed the "Kill Your Speed" sign to "Kill Your Steed"
Silly signs - THe Growler
I actually used to "collect" this sort of thing.

Two favourites from my Gulf days:

DANGER - MEN WORKING VERY SLOWLY - Oman

DO NOT TAKE SAND FROM HERE - Sharjah desert and the trackless wastes of Arabian sand as far as the eye could see. Underneath some wag (clearly expat) had added "Donated by the Empty Quarter Preservation Society".
Silly signs - sierraman
On the fence of the RSPCA kennels in Leeds 'no parking' had been altered to read 'no barking',
Silly signs - Armitage Shanks {p}
Many years ago, when I was working in Oman, I saw a sign some poor soul had had made up, in expensive neon tubes and obviously having consulted a dictionary, which said "New Electronic Balance Wheel Cars". It is alleged that there is a sign on the North Yorkshire moors saying "It is strictly forbidden to throw stones at this sign"
Silly signs - Bromptonaut
Local sub PO advertises services on its side wall; including National Lottery Tax Discs
Silly signs - No FM2R
"Delicious Fuel Here!"

By the Mazda dealer ? I keep meaning to go in and ask.
Silly signs - AngryJonny
As a kid I used to be hugely amused by a sign on the Manchester side of Woodhead (Hollingworth or somewhere I think) that read "Broadbottom 1 1/2 miles"

That's a very broad bottom.
Silly signs - Conditional Identity
Not misleading, but amusing.

A sign on the A27 (major dual carriageway along the couth coast): No racing by horsedrawn carriages

Edited by Webmaster on 26/10/2007 at 01:42

Silly signs - Stargazer {P}
Two signs that had me amused during my time in Oz, both from Far North Queensland (Cape York).

Yellow warning sign with text "Narrow road next 580KM"

Yellow warning sign "Slow Tree Kangroos crossing"

StarGazer
Silly signs - AngryJonny
Yellow warning sign "Slow Tree Kangroos crossing"

Reminds me of the sign that used to be outside the retirement home in my old village:

"Slow Old People"
Silly signs - BB
Transport related.....

In Sydney tube there is a sign that says
"At night travel next to the guards compartment marked with a blue light"

Clever tipp-exing made the signs read

"At night rave next to the guards compartment naked with a blue light"

Made me laugh.
Silly signs - Wally Zebon
Local to me there are lots of traffic lights where someone has taken a marker and drawn a frown face on the red :-( a blank expression on amber :-| and a smile on green :-)

The council will clean them off one day only for them to be drawn back on a few days later. My 7 year old thinks they're great!
Silly signs - 3T
Not misleading, but amusing.
A sign on the A27 (major dual carriageway along the couth
coast): No racing by horsedrawn carriages

>>
this has to do with the local population of a Chichester housing estate being fond of horse drawn transport,fairgrounds,spare tarmac to do your drive and old ladies with roofing problems ,if you catch my drift.

Could be a new exciting spectator sport,
' urban dual carriageway pony and trap racing '
Heats could be run at quieter times with the grand finale to take place coinciding with a major local event like Goodwood festival of speed, morning or afternoon rush hour must surely be the best times.

Edited by Webmaster on 26/10/2007 at 01:42

Silly signs - Clanger
From a recent Readers Digest;

On a large boarded-up Post Office window fronting the street.

"Business as usual

Please leave your car outside"

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Silly signs - martint123
"Danger - underground cables overhead".
Silly signs - Armitage Shanks {p}
In September a few years ago there was sign out at Waterloo station which said "Southern Region Winter Timetable out Now - £1". Some wag wrote underneath "Rush now to secure your copy of this outstanding work of fiction!"
Silly signs - THe Growler
LOL reminded me of my arrival at London Gatwick a few years ago to find "Network Rail" altered to "Notwork Rail".
Silly signs - rustbucket
Local council sign approx 3feet x5feet that says "do not throw stones at this sign"
--
rustbucket (the original)
Silly signs - Chris S
The US road-sign "Slippery When Wet" has also been the source of much amusement.
Silly signs - turbo11
"Farmers own seed" always makes me and the missus laugh
Silly signs - frazerjp
Well guys i today brought a book called 'the worlds most stupidist signs' much recommended, £4.99 from Otakars book shop.
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Silly signs - helicopter
I always liked 'Heavy Plant Crossing' which to me conjures up images of the day of the triffids.....
Silly signs - Hugo {P}
In St Just in West Cornwall (not Penzance but the Roseland Peninsular) there is the most beautiful church that over looks a river, plus a stretch of beach/landing area known as a bar.

You've guessed it, sign pointing in the direction "St Just Church and Bar"
Silly signs - AlastairW
Best peace of Church advertising I have ever seen (in August):-
'Come now, beat the Christmas rush!'
Silly signs - Dynamic Dave
I always liked 'Heavy Plant Crossing' which to me conjures up
images of the day of the triffids.....

Whenever I see "Mud on road" I wonder if I'll ever see them doing a rendition of Tiger Feet a bit further down the road.
Silly signs - Avant
In the old days garages used to have ready-mixed fuel for two-strokes, and you would often see the notice "2-stroke Toilets" on a forecourt.

More recently in the west of Scotland - Applecross I think - there was the wonderful unpunctuated message, vertically,

P
Free
Toilets

Anyone old enough to remember Beyond the Fringe, where they speculated on whether the equally unpunctuated message "Gentlemen Lift the Seat" was some kind of definition of a gentleman, or perhaps a loyal toast.
Silly signs - helicopter
SWMBO and I laughed when passing through Algeciras at a large illuminated sign for 'Hotel and Bumgalows'....

It made me think of a row of people strung up by their rear end.

Silly signs - Wally Zebon
In the old days garages used to have ready-mixed fuel for
two-strokes, and you would often see the notice "2-stroke Toilets" on
a forecourt.
More recently in the west of Scotland - Applecross I think
- there was the wonderful unpunctuated message, vertically,
P
Free
Toilets
Anyone old enough to remember Beyond the Fringe, where they speculated
on whether the equally unpunctuated message "Gentlemen Lift the Seat" was
some kind of definition of a gentleman, or perhaps a loyal
toast.

>>

In the same vicinity...

Strome Ferry
(No Ferry)

Silly signs - LHM
Several garages proclaim "Free Air".....

Must have escaped Gordon Bown's attention!!
Silly signs - LHM
and here's the 'r' from the last post. Sorry, Gordon.
Silly signs - oldpostie
Not a sign, but a few years ago I was solemnly handed a notice at a German campsite, which told visitors not to go to the toilet in their cars.
Silly signs - Adam {P}
Very sound advice I can assure you.
--
Adam
Silly signs - David Horn
The "BIKER IN YOUR BLINDSPOT?" signs put up on the A-roads in Devon. May I ask why one would be sitting in my blindspot on a narrow, twisty road, and even more importantly, why I should be responsible for someone overtaking recklessly and in most cases illegally?
Silly signs - Adam {P}
Because a biker's hardly likely to drive into you is he?
--
Adam
Silly signs - David Horn
Around here? More than likely, but it's usually because he's on the wrong side of the road coming around a blind corner.
Silly signs - Adam {P}
Fair enough then. Try not to drive into them though just to prove a point ;-)
--
Adam
Silly signs - Citroënian {P}
Saw this at the Southampton University this week :

"The School of Nursing and Midwifery -
Deliveries to rear"

-- Lee .. A festivus for the rest of us.