Gardens...going....going.....gone? - tack
Interesting article in the Evening Standard tonight about front gardens making way for cars.

They reckon half the front gardens in London (and probably elsewhere too) have gone as families have more and more cars. I know the feeling. Me, wifey daughter (and son when he was at home) have our own cars. With most of my neighbours having two or three cars, parking was becoming a nightmare. So, we had the old crazy pave job done to get two cars on drive and one out front.

Made an effort at greenery by having a curved bed with green stuff in it and a couple of evergreen tree things. But, looking down my road, its all a bit messy. Some have laid loose gravel which has decanted into the road and on the pavement, one has simply concreted (not very well)and painted it tile red, some have got cars longer than their drive, so hang over the pavement.

When you look at old black and white pics of suburban streets and see just the odd ghostly Ford Prefect to the whole street, it makes you hark back with misty eyes.

Can't give cars up, but......if only!
Gardens...going....going.....gone? - AlastairW
Its the same up here too. I think its cos being able to say 'Off Road Parking' in estate agent particulars helps you sell the property - its certainly someting I look for.
Also, a lot of people just dont like gardening - one less lawn to cut if its concreted over!
I think one of the problems is that people get very possessive about the area outside their own home and think they actually own it. I know a couple of people who don't own cars who have paved over their gardens and paid to have a ramp put in, just to stop people parking outside their house. I even know of one person who has a car, a ramp and a driveway, but insists on parking his car outside next doors house (who own three cars but don't have a driveway!) God, how complex can it get?

I guess we are possession rich and too time poor to keep a garden up too? Easier (and slightly more fun?) to pressure hose the drive off, rather than cut the grass and prune the rose bushes.
Gardens...going....going.....gone? - $till $kint
I think one of the problems is that people get very
possessive about the area outside their own home and think they
actually own it. I know a couple of people who
don't own cars who have paved over their gardens and paid
to have a ramp put in, just to stop people parking
outside their house.

Well that's a fruitless exercise. If there is no car in the driveway I don't believe an offence is committed by blocking the access. Depends on the road markings though.

Parked with my wheels inside the white lines at the edge of a drop kerb when visiting friends the other day, but my rear bumper overhung the line by 6 inches. Chap comes home in his enormous.... Yaris and proceeds to make a right porcine hearing organ out of getting into his driveway. I was just leaving my friend's place and indicated that if he waited 20 seconds my car would be gone and he could continue his display of appalling driving ability in private.

He leapt out and started yelling all kinds at me. I pointed out that my wheels were within the white lines and got a tape measure out to show that a) my rear bumper was 6" over the line but 14" from the lowest part of the dropstone and b) his car was 2'9" narrower than his driveway. I was in that kind of mood.

I also politely suggested that if he can't park a Yaris in such circumstances he really ought to consider handing in his licence.

Monkey. Absolute monkey.

I await the ritual flaming I'm no doubt due for that one.
Gardens...going....going.....gone? - Adam {P}
Far from it.

What was his response?
--
Adam
Gardens...going....going.....gone? - $till $kint
Far from it.
What was his response?
--
Adam

Oh, the usual. His forehead bulged, his skin darkened, I tilted my head to one side and enquired whether he had a medical condition and would he like me to call an ambulance. He then screamed a load more obscenities so I suggested an anger management course provided he took public transport to get to it. Eventually he stormed indoors, I got in my car and drove away with a cheery toot and a wave.

The chap was in his early 30s and clearly had "issues".
I would have paid good money to see that!
--
Adam
Gardens...going....going.....gone? - Altea Ego
I have the "loose gravel which has decanted into the road" feature
Gardens...going....going.....gone? - Pugugly {P}
Talking to an MP recently (who has some power) he was musing about multi-car taxation when talking about some terraced streets on his patch. I dropped the phrase "the voters will never wear it in" but didn't phaze him. Remember where you read it first.

PS
Anubody want to buy a recently restored BMW Touring ?
Gardens...going....going.....gone? - teabelly
I'd support parking permits for all areas for the limited amount of on road parking available. Being a bit of a wotsit I'd make sure I bought the area outside my house so I don't get any berks parking so I can't see to get out of the drive safely! I own several cars but I have off road parking for them all. I wouldn't buy any house that didn't allow me to do this.

There are roads in stoke which are so bunged up with cars fire engines have been unable to attend to fires properly. I'd be insisting on double yellows being put down so that people were no longer allowed to park anywhere which would cause an obstruction.
teabelly
Having taken 20 minutes to shift the cars just to move the bins out, there is talk of making our front garden into a "run off" drive so that at least one car can be left there when getting the furthermost one out.

As it stands, in order to get to the garage, or if someone wants to go out and their car is at the back, it's a pain.

I find myself leaving my car on the front if I get home late as I can't be bothered shifting them and sorting them out. (I know I shouldn't do this but I move it first thing in the morning).
--
Adam
Gardens...going....going.....gone? - Colonel Panic
I (quite cleverly) designed a sort of skewed leaf-shaped drive which lies diagnally across the plot. This allows three cars to come and go without moving the others. Was lucky to have just grass to start with, Levelled it with digger, and then drove cars on and off until perfect shape was found and marked in tyre tracks!
Sorry for any typos Im very long sited
Gardens...going....going.....gone? - Baskerville
It's not just how it looks either. All that run-off puts more pressure on the drainage system and contributes to flooding.
Gardens...going....going.....gone? - Avant
In many case this is because peope won't use their garages for the obvious purpose. I still can't see the logic of a garage full of worthless gubbins and thousands of pounds-worth of cars outside. But thse of us who put our cars in the garage are definitely in a minority.
Gardens...going....going.....gone? - Pete M
Houses with garages seem to be in a minority in the UK. In the five years I was there, both the houses I lived in had OSP but no garage. Friends with a garage had it filled with junk and a motorcycle or two. Most of the garages I saw in the UK were so narrow that the driver must nearly touch one wall to be able to get out. Here in NZ, I have 2.5 car garaging (2 cars, 1 mini, 1 motorcycle, 3 bicycles, barbecue, workbench, garden tools etc.) When looking for another house, we will only consider those with 3 car garaging space. There's no shortage of them either. I certainly don't miss doing major repairs outside in the UK winter, either.
Gardens...going....going.....gone? - holly1
The estate agent paperwork for our house stated it had a garage, and sure enough the building at the bottom of the drive certainly does look like a garage. However, its impossible to get a car down our driveway as its so narrow. It was only after talking to a neighbour who had lived in the street for many years that we discovered the so called "garage" was in fact the old laundry room. It never has been nor was it ever intended to be a garage.

Gardens...going....going.....gone? - machika
Houses with garages seem to be in a minority in the
UK. In the five years I was there, both the houses
I lived in had OSP but no garage. Friends with a
garage had it filled with junk and a motorcycle or two.
Most of the garages I saw in the UK were so
narrow that the driver must nearly touch one wall to be
able to get out. Here in NZ, I have 2.5 car
garaging (2 cars, 1 mini, 1 motorcycle, 3 bicycles, barbecue, workbench,
garden tools etc.) When looking for another house, we will only
consider those with 3 car garaging space. There's no shortage of
them either. I certainly don't miss doing major repairs outside
in the UK winter, either.

I understand that land is a bit cheaper in NZ.
Gardens...going....going.....gone? - Dude - {P}
>>>> I'd be insisting on double yellows being put down so that people were no longer allowed to park anywhere which would cause an obstruction.
teabelly.>>>>>

I`m with Teabelly on this issue and feel strongly that cars should not be allowed to obstruct busy traffic movement, particularly as many have small front gardens that could be easily converted to off road parking.

Too many people IMHO seem to forget that the road space outside their homes is not their property and should be charged for paking and obstucting the public highway.
Gardens...going....going.....gone? - Dude - {P}
The R key seems to need "oiling" - that should of course read "parking and obstructing"
Gardens...going....going.....gone? - Big Bad Dave
"Here in NZ, I have 2.5 car garaging"

The garage under my apartment holds 90 cars

In your face!
Gardens...going....going.....gone? - turbo11
My friends in Hersham,Surrey have removed their wall and gravelled their front garden.They were fed up with coming back from work or the supermarket in the evening and being unable to find a parking space in their entire street.All the roads around where they live are victorian terrace houses.
Gardens...going....going.....gone? - Vansboy
Just had a lady come & view our house & wan't ver keen on he garden!!

Trying to be clever, we've graveled the entire area(low maintainence they say) with double gates, thus creating aditional parking araa. Add this to the double garage & parking area infront of this, in theory you could park 5 vehicles easily.

Pity her kids don't drive - just want to play on the lawn - which we don't have!!

Hope the next people have grown up kids!!

VB

Gardens...going....going.....gone? - Robin Reliant
My first job when I moved to my present address was to dig up the lawn and pave the front garden. We can comfortably get two cars on now, three if we don't shut the gates. The back has been partially paved and the rear door of the garage widened so the bike can be wheeled out and cleaned and tinkered with.

Not having to store gardening gear has enabled the shed to be turned into a bicycle workshop. SWMBO has gradually come round to my point of view that gardening is the most usless waste of time ever devised.

Bliss.
Gardens...going....going.....gone? - MichaelR
Don't have too many parking issues - spacious double garage you can fit two cars in and open the drivers door as wide as it'll go, and plenty of drive space. Still, with 4 cars it comes in handy. Means nobody needs to move a car to get another out.
so......the final decision is.....we don't want gardens?

Funny though, when I go for a walk in the evening I walk past some lovely front gardens, really well kept. Then I walk past a nice looking house with 3 ugly cars on the drive clogging it all up. I think "Ugh, horrible" Then I get home and look at my drive and think "Ugh, horrible, would be nice to have a garden, but where would I park?" DOH!