Golf Mk2 Carb Icing - Tony Soprano
I have a VW Golf Mk2 Driver,115k,G reg,solid reliable car most of the year round,except the winter months when the carb icing happens,where it will start fine from cold, but after several miles will splutter and lose power,then,after I stop the car for a few minutes,its all ok again.I have had some helpfull advice from people on this forum,but after checking the hot air intake flap,(which opens when I suck on connecting pipe)I was told to check following- "but is it getting a vacuum supply from the temperature switch sited on the side of the carb cover ? Simply, this switch should have a permanent vac supply from the base of the carb, and transmit said vac to the flap diaphragm when the intake temp is low. So, test for vac to switch, and on from switch when cold. If switch is suspected try car with flap diaphragm connected directly to source at base of carb - better to have permanant hot air than permanant cold." I cannot find this carb temperature switch,so where is it,and how do I test if its ok? Also how can I test the thermac switch inside the air filter?which could also be the problem?
Hope you guys can sort this one,Tony
Golf Mk2 Carb Icing - s2driver
Tony, just follow the vacuum tubing back towards the carburettor and you will find it. Bypass the valve with a direct line from the vacuum connection on the inlet manifold (IM). There is also an electric heating element under the carb inside the IM - from memory you can check it works using a digital multimeter on resistance. Make sure the tubing from the air intake to the top of the exhaust is intact or you will still be drawing cool air even if the mechanism is working correctly. Eventually the carb will stop functioning properly. Invest in a Weber replacement.
Golf Mk2 Carb Icing - jc
I've had carb freezing with a Weber.Check that there are no leaks in the hot air supply to the air cleaner.
Golf Mk2 Carb Icing - Tony Soprano
OK s2driver,Ive followed the tubing back to the carb,it then splits into 2,one hose go`s into what I think is the brake hosing,and the other go`s to a round plastic component on the carb,looking at pics of the pierburg 2e2,I think this thing is pull down unit,how do I check this?The tubing from the air intake on exhaust all looks fine.When you say "bypass the valve" can you be more specific please.I think there has been some messing with the vacuum pipes on this car as the vacuum reservoir has nothing connected to it,which surely cant be right?
Tony
Golf Mk2 Carb Icing - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Theres usually a 'map' of the vacuum hoses stuck to the underside of the bonnet. From memory there should be two little vacuum takeoffs from the brake servo pipe. One goes directly to the distributor, the other goes along the front of the carb to the green sphere. there should be a tee piece in front of the carb, connecting up to the choke pull down unit. the second pipe from the pull down goes to the base of the carb. Round the back of the carb should be a vac hose coming from the base of the carb which goes round to the thermac unit which senses the temp of the incoming air and actuates the warm air flap on the intake. Positioning of the vac hoses on the thermac valve is critical. If you observe (Assuming the valve is fitted the right way round!) the stub closest to the windscreen should have a smaller bore than the other, whichever way, the vac hose from the flap goes to the bigger of the two holes.
Good luck.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!