VW Servicing - John Doubledime
Dear backroom

Servicing time for Mrs Doubledime's Golf. It has covered 25,000 miles in five years. We have owned it since new.

The main dealer serviced it for the first three years. Last year a local non VW independent garage serviced the car and changed the cam belt. It took three days due to parts confusion.

This year a local VW independent is quoting £191 including VAT.

The main dealer is quoting the following on their website
Volkswagen £99 all inclusive full service ...

Offer includes:

* Oil Filter change
* Pollen Filter change
* Full inspection of vehicle which includes brakes, batteries, tyres, exhausts, electrics, hoses and cooling system
* Free replacement bulbs (except headlamps)
* All fluid levels checked and topped-up free of charge

50% off MOT with full Service

Which should I choose?

Regards

John

VW Servicing - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
A great offer. Hope my local dealer is as good next time.
Any chance of VW dealers name?
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
VW Servicing - Aprilia
Are you comparing apples and oranges?

The VW dealer is basically changing your oil & filter, plus pollen filter. He's then doing a few basic checks.

What is the independent doing? He could be also changing plug, antifreeze, brake fluid. I don't know - you need to know what the car's service requirement is at this age/mileage.
Aprilia

Thanks I can see now that I have confused my fruits.I have looked at the Service Schedule. What are your views on only changing the plugs and air filter every 40,000 miles as the schedule suggests.
Thos would be eight years on this cars average mileage.

Regards

John
VW Servicing - Stuartli
The £99 offer appears special but, in fact, is little more than a £15 oil filter and semi-synthetic oil change at National - even the pollen filter is less than £20...:-)

The difference is a lot of money for what is a very basic inspection and doesn't even include proper fluids or parts replacements, only top-ups or checks. The cost of bulbs will be minimal and obtained at trade prices.

Many independents around my way offer such deals under the banner of Silver, Gold etc to given an impression of a "proper" service, but they are equally poor value, to me at least.

Could you be sure too that such "checks" are actually carried out?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
VW Servicing - Stuartli
PS

National has a half-price MOT offer. I've had my VW Bora there twice since I acquired it and it's only cost me just over £20 each time for the MOT fee - nothing was required to be done. I get a reminder and the half-price offer just before the next test is due.
VW Servicing - Aprilia
I can get a 'Mann' branded (German) pollen filter for about £7. Takes a couple of minutes to fit.
Most of the checks you can do yourself. I am very keen on changing brake fluid and coolant every two years though.
Thanks Aprilia and Stuartli. I was quoted £18 for the pollen filter
by the VW independent.

Where is the best place to source a pollen filter for a MKIV Golf.

Advoce and comments much appreciated.

Best Wishes

John
VW Servicing - Sprice
You could try german, french and swedish

www.gsfcarparts.com/

Two pollen filters came up for a Golf IV, but the most was £8.25 (cheaper was 4.50).

The part numbers are 12356 (£8.25) or 12356A (£4.50), but not sure the exact difference!
VW Servicing - Stuartli
The key thing about GSF is that the vast majority of its spare parts and accessories products are original OEM supplied and yet are very keenly priced.

You can order a catalogue online.
VW Servicing - Aprilia
The 'A' part will be a non-OEM part. Go for the slightly more expensive one.