Vectra 3.2 GSI? - pablohoney
Hi

Been getting quite interested in possible getting one of these. They seem a cheap way of getting hold of a 154mph V6 engined car that will do 60 in 7 seconds and is only group 14 insurance. They seem to be well equipped, refined and spacious. Been looking around and you seem to be able to get a good one for around £9k. I know the Mondeo probably handles a little better but I want refinement and comfort over absolute agility. The hatch versoin also appeals since more prestige brands are all saloons which limits practicality somewhat.

The Vauxhall image is a bit of a problem but when I see a GSi I always think they look pretty good. The other concern is the famously bad Vauhall dealers and reliability problems. but the new Vectra seems to be a lot better than the old model.

What do people think of the GSi? Can any owners / drivers give me any feedback?

Cheers
Vectra 3.2 GSI? - smokie
There's a few relevant comments in this current thread tinyurl.com/9upag
Vectra 3.2 GSI? - midlifecrisis
I drive them everyday at work and we have no problems at all. Pretty much bomb proof. However, they are very,very thirsty if driven hard. (It only got to 138mph by the way!!)
Vectra 3.2 GSI? - Dynamic Dave
(It only got to 138mph by the way!!)

When I previously looked up the specifications for the GSi on the Vauxhall website (in the 159 mph police driver thread), they said it could achieve a top speed of 154 mph.

Thought that is was higher than group 14 insurance as well, but maybe it depends on the insurer?

There's also mention that the Mondeo ST220 is faster than the GSi Vectra in this thread. From googling, the top speed of the ST220 can vary from 151 mph to 155 mph depending on which site you take the data from. In other words, the spec of both cars is pretty much equal.
Vectra 3.2 GSI? - Marc
Go for it. I've got a Vectra 2.0T SRi and rate it as the best car I haved owned. They look and feel like a quality product especially if you get leather inside. Only thing that lets the cabin down is the "aluminium effect" plastic (don't know if that applies to the GSi)

Check out carsurvey.org. Pretty sure I've seen some owners views on the GSi there.
Thanks for the helpful replies. The fuel consumption doesn't bother me really since I don't do many miles and I could spend loads more one a more expensive car to begin with. Pleased to see that no one has come back and say they are a load of trouble. Vauxhall's image seems ot be improving all the time with the sport hatch astra and the new VXR turbo.

Does anybody know whether xenons are standard on the GSI. I think sat nav is an option too. Does anybody know whether it is anygood?
Vectra 3.2 GSI? - midlifecrisis
I've got the colour sat nav in my Vectra SRi. It's not bad, but like all systems I suppose, it can be frustrating. Still, better to have it than not.
Vectra 3.2 GSI? - daveyjp
A neighbour has just taken delivery of a Vectra 2.2. He seems to find 'lemon' cars - even the Celica he swapped for the Vectra was in and out of the garage on a regular basis.

If there are problems with the Vectra he'll find out pretty quickly and I'll let you know - for some reason he seems to enjoy telling me what his latest car problem is.

His first problem is that it doesn't fit in his garage!
I think the Vectras do look pretty big when compared to older cars of the same class. They can't be much smaler than an e39 BMW 5 Series. People aren't really downsizing it is just that cars are getting bigger!

Anyone know about the xenons on the GSI?
Vectra 3.2 GSI? - Xileno {P}
It's a great car, shame it's not RWD like the Carlton 3000 GSi though :-)
Vectra 3.2 GSI? - dilbert
I traded my E46 BMW for one last year. I like the Vectra anyway and the performance and low price appealed too. However, I find the auto box a bit of a clonker and I also think it's too big and too powerful to be FWD.

I kind of get the impression that no-one in the trade really wants anything to do with these cars - so sure you can pick them up cheap, be aware that you'll be selling it at an equally low price. As long as you go in to it with your eyes open, I don't think you'll go far wrong.

I can't comment about a long-term experience as I'm afraid to say that I really didn't get on with mine and so I sold it after less than two months. The whole ordeal cost me a fortune but to be honest I was glad to be out of it. I bought another BMW.

I believe xenons are standard (mine certainly had them) but they're easy to spot as xenon-equipped cars have bumper-mounted headlamp washers. Sat nav is an option.

Vectra 3.2 GSI? - MichaelR
Mondeo ST220 is faster, better looking, cheaper, better specified and better handling.

Bit of a no brainer really. Better residuals also.
I wish you could edit posts here, as I just worked out half of what I said was wrong :p
Vectra 3.2 GSI? - cheddar
Mondeo ST220 is faster, better looking, cheaper, better specified and better
handling.
Bit of a no brainer really. Better residuals also.

Certainly not cheaper particularly if buying at one year old, an low mileage 1 year old ST220 is going to be as much as 5 grand more than an equivalent Vectra GSi.
Crikey you are right - £12.5k gets a less than a year old one from a main dealer. That's SERIOUS depreciation - mate of mine is now selling his near 3 year old ST220 for not much less than that.

I guess, technically, it makes the Vectra more expensive, as the only way is down for that price, and a lot faster than the ST220's. You can get a brand new ST from a broker for £18k.
What has the ST220 got on it which the GSi hasn't? I can't see how the St220 is faster. The vectra is supposed to do 0-100 in around 19 secs and 154mph. Surely the ST220 isn't faster. Also noticed the St220 is in a higher insurance group.

As for look I guess it is all down to taste but I like both of them although the St220 looks more in your face to me.
A decent chassis - doesnt matter on the Motorway but with a sporting car like an ST or a GSi its quite important. The GSi is also.... just a Vectra. It doesnt look different enough, and this is reflected in its residual values. The ST is noticeably different to regular Mondeos.
A decent chassis - doesnt matter on the Motorway but with
a sporting car like an ST or a GSi its quite
important. The GSi is also.... just a Vectra.

You're not comparing the handling of a 1.8 Breeze with that of a GSi - surely? The Gsi has been tweaked, lowered, breathed on by the handling deparment, as well as Lotus twiddling with it as well.

As for the styling, ever heard of the expression "wolf in sheeps clothing"?
Suppose it depends on what you want if you want refinement and understated looks go for the GSi if you want ultimate handling and sporting looks go for the St220. I think the St220 would have to be a lot better to justify an extra £5k though. Most of the time you can't exploit handling becasue there is too much slow traffic around anyway
Vectra 3.2 GSI? - Marc
Another thread hijacked by the Mondeo Enthusiasts Club...
Vectra 3.2 GSI? - cheddar
Free speech and all that .......
Vectra 3.2 GSI? - rcspeirs
I?ve got the 3.2 Elite, rather than the GSI. I think it is insurance group 15, not 14.

I picked it up, at nine months old, for about half the official list price. No doubt the eventual resale value will be poor - but then I didn?t pay much for it. Came with lots of toys. The traction control is much less annoying than in my previous car (Mondeo 2.5), but as it's FWD you will find it kicking in if you try to use the power in anything less than bone dry conditions. Make sure the suspension mod has been done - see the article in HJ?s ?car by car? summary. The dealer fixed modified mine without any bother - though it took a month for the relevant parts to come in.

The only faults are that the fuse box cover sometimes works loose and the cig lighter has stopped working. (I don?t smoke but I did use the socket to power my portable sat nav).

The engine is a peach - lovely. On the rare occasions when I can really hammer it, it makes a satisfying growl. Consumption is OK - despite lots of slow use in town and ?positive? driving out of the city, it returns mid 20s and into the low 30s mpg. Suspension is OK, but not as good as a Mondeo (No - I am not a member of Mondeo owners club!). The stability control works well - I?ve deliberately provoked it on an empty wide road to see what will happen, and it was very impressive at stabilising the car. Safe - but not involving. However - if you?re after a GSI, it?ll have a firmer set up to my Elite spec. It?s extremely quiet - at all speeds.

The indicator design is stupid - utterly stupid. But you eventually get used to it - just. A stupid design and I don?t understand why more and more manufacturers are inflicting it on us.

Mine is the 5 speed auto, and that is the weak link. Smooth enough in normal driving, but try to drive hard on a twisty road and it is very dumb witted and rarely does what you want. Even if you resort to using the tiptronic feature - it is still very slow to react. However - before the Modeo fans chirp in - the auto box on my previous car (the Mondeo 2.5) was also the weak link - it blew up. (If only I?d read HJ?s article before hand?.)
'The indicator design is stupid - utterly stupid. But you eventually get used to it - just. A stupid design and I don?t understand why more and more manufacturers are inflicting it on us.'

I've read this before what's stupid about it?
'The indicator design is stupid - utterly stupid. But you eventually
get used to it - just. A stupid design and I
don?t understand why more and more manufacturers are inflicting it on
us.'
I've read this before what's stupid about it?

Some people are finding it hard to figure out that if you tap the stalk lightly the indicators will just flash 3 times and self cancel. If you tap the stalk harder (as in the conventional way) then they'll stay on until you either turn the steering wheel or self cancel them yourself. If you self cancel them and are a bit heavy handed you can make the mistake of indicating in the other direction, thus confusing others around you as they don't know where you're going. Takes a little getting used to, but hardly rocket science ;o)

BMW are also using the same set up as well. Not sure how many other manufacturers are following suit?
Vectra 3.2 GSI? - SjB {P}
The VW Shuttle I drove had the same setup.
I made the mistake once, then twigged.
Mistake never made again.

Hardly tricky.
'Overtaking indicators' - as fitted to my Audi and I think they are brilliant. Never had a problem when cancelling them.