Which angle grinder for car? - Tony Soprano
I have some old cars which I want to get rid of legitimately;cutting them up into little pieces seems like a good option,but which angle grinder do I need?Will the smaller size angle grinder with 4 and a half inch discs be enough to get through all parts of the car, or will I need the larger 9 inch one to do de job?
Which angle grinder for car? - jc
The biggest you can get hold of;the small one won't go thro some of the double skin panels.
Which angle grinder for car? - Simon
Why don't you ring your local car dismantlers and see if they will collect them for free? It would save you a lot of hassle, time and money in buying an angle grinder/disc cutter (+ discs) and even when you have cut them up you would have to dispose of the pieces.
Which angle grinder for car? - cjrt35
Don't know about free but even if they charge you £20 or so it's worth it- you'll probably spend that much on discs, they wear down quite fast! Not to mention your time- (and definately 9"- you'd be there all week with a 4.5"). At one time B&Q were doing a very cheap 9" 'performance pro' grinder for £30 or so- I've got one and it seems to work pretty well if they're still doing it.

Some local councils will charge a nominal £10 or so to collect cars (they contract dismantlers to do it)- this is often cheaper than getting a dismantler yourself- worth it for the council to reduce number of abandoned cars. Sometimes they even have an amnesty and collect them for nothing. There can be a bit of a wait for them to get to you though.

Good luck

Chris
Which angle grinder for car? - rg
Screwfix were doing one for under £10.00.....

I've got one, and it's perectly OK for DIY/occasioanl professional use.

rg
Which angle grinder for car? - martint123
I find a hefty arc welder is the easiest way to cut metal.

You could use it as an excuse to buy a plasma cutter?
Which angle grinder for car? - John S
I have done just this in the past using a combination of the smaller grinder plus a bolster chisel and hammer. This will effectively cut through car bodywork.

You'll probably find the smaller angle grinder is more useful for other jobs after you've disposed of the cars.

JS
Which angle grinder for car? - bert-j
There are considerable environmental restrictions on disposing of old cars - you could get into serious trouble with environmental health people. Also consider the neighbours; cutting up old cars is not the quietest of pastimes!
Which angle grinder for car? - sierraman
I once had to dispose of a container(the sort that goes on the back of a truck)that was in a square surrounded by buildings.It would have needed a crane to get it out,which was beyond the means of the organization involved,so I cut it up with a Stihl saw.It took all day to get it into liftable pieces,used a few discs too,the diamond ones for an A G would be more economical.
Which angle grinder for car? - Dave - Northampton
Tony Soprano wants to cut up and dispose of some bodies. He claims they are car bodies but is anybody else thinking what I'm thinking?
Which angle grinder for car? - Adam {P}
I thought that too. Start worrying if he posts about replacing car carpet or even in the IHAQ thread for the biggest rolls of rugs/carpet money can buy.

You were warned.
--
Adam