Zetec fiesta ignition - Peter Leech
Wife's 1998 1.25 Fiesta (32000) started misfiring and ground to a halt. Wouldn't start thereafter. AA towed home and suggested crankshaft sensor. Couldn't get any indication at the coil of switching(?) . I'm not too familiar with current ignition systems save that nothing seems repairable. The garage towed the car in and whilst doing so it bump-started and ran ok. However they replaced the crankshaft sensor as a precaution on the basis that you start with the cheapest bit first. The car was then fine for a week but the problem has now re-appeared. However whilst it ground to a halt again, it subsequently restarted but is now recurring on an intermittent basis (the worst kind I know!). Any known fiesta faults? If the fault is intermittent will a diagnostic check confirm the fault if it is not actually occurring at the time of the check? Presumably it is not the crankshaft sensor - what next? Is it likely to be the ecu or coil? If so what is the likely cost? Are Ford sympathetic? I have great faith in the back room experts and your usual constructive comments would be greatly appreciated. She loves her Fiesta but is a little disillusioned. Thanks for any help you can all offer.
Peter Leech
Re: Zetec fiesta ignition - T.r.y mybest
just a possibility but check the condition of the crank sensor to see if it worn ,if so it is just possible that the gearbox dowels are missing which causes the gearbox to move slightly.
Re: Zetec fiesta ignition - Eleanor Coughran
Could be the wiring loom somewhere? or a ECM fault. Once it gets worse it will be easier to find.

Eleanor
Re: Zetec fiesta ignition - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Unlikely to be ECU, more likely coil but I'd hedge a bet at the main control relay particularly if it has had a hard life around town, lots of stop-starts. When it has failed, without switching the ignition off check for available voltage at the supply terminal to the coil pack.
Not aware of a particular problem with the Yamaha engine re crank sensor but it is particularly troublesome on the old Valencia engine as the thrust washers wear it allows the flywheel to move away from the sensor a few thou'.
hth
Andrew
Re: Zetec fiesta ignition - Julian Lindley
Peter,

Over and over again, what appears complex is often superficial. Please check the quality of the connection to your crankshaft sensor before getting too deep in your problems analysis.

Of course this applies to all electrical connections, some connection designs over time just oxidise badly. Vauxhall in particular, have had regular problems in this area, particularly with sensors.

Regards,

Julian
Re: Hope you didn't pay them. - Dave N
Don't you just love it when garages 'replace the cheapest bit first, just as a precaution' and when it makes no difference as it was unlikely to be the cause anyway, they still charge the customer!

To the original poster, I hope you went and got your money back for the unecessary parts and labour?

I wonder if I can do this with my a/c customers? 'Just swap the compressor for you sir, just in case. Oh, that hasn't made any difference at all, that'll be £800 then'.