Renault Laguna timing belt - Bigbird
I had my timing belt replaced two weeks ago on my 1800cc 16v laguna estate we and had done about 400 miles when the car lost power.
On initial investigation it looked like the fan belt had split and got under the timing belt and caused it to slip, the mechanic who looked at it initially was sceptical as to wether the belt had actually been changed due to the condition of the bolts that would have to be removed.

I have recovered it to the garage and they are replacing the rockers covers !!! as well as the timing belt. Is it likely that any other damage was caused, the garage says that te pistons are ok. When it happened there was no major noises exept the shredding of the auxillary belt.
Should the garage have replaced the auxillary belt when they replaced the timing belt ?

Has anybody had a similar experience, any input appreciated.

Thanks
Renault Laguna timing belt - Xileno {P}
"the garage says that the pistons are ok."
Maybe, but what about the valves? Assuming this is an interference engine (most are), they are likely to have taken a thump as the pistons rise and whack the static valves.

"Should the garage have replaced the auxillary belt when they replaced the timing belt?"
Depends what they were asked to do when you took it in.

Was it a Renault garage?

Renault Laguna timing belt - Bigbird
They were asked to do an mot and a timing belt change, surely they should have checked the auxillary belt as well as they would have had to remove it to chang the timing belt ?

No its not a Renault garage.

Thanks
Renault Laguna timing belt - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I would have thought they would have changed the aux belt as a matter of course. I know on some earlier renault engines the rockers tended to be sacrificial in the event of a belt failure to protect the valves but as far as I know the Laguna has the cams acting directly on the valves so it has no rockers, I stand to be corrected. You can easily see if the belt has been replaced as there are two round seals on the gearbox end of the head which have to be prised out to fit the cams locking tool. They have to be replaced so should look new. How do they know the pistons are ok? On other engines I have seen after belt failure the contact between valve and head has resulted in the top piston ring being pinched in its groove.I'd be sceptical and recommend you keep poking your nose in and checking whats going on. Ask them to keep all the displaced parts for you. Finally if they skimped on the aux belt did they fit new tensioner and guide rollers??
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!