Preserving unused tyres - RichardP
Hi,
I've recently obtained a good (only done a few hundred miles) spare set of TRX tyres on rims (rims a bit scruffy) for my 1982 Granada. These tyres are hard to come by and if available are approx. £150 each!
Therefore I wish to store these tyres for about 5 years or so, when my current set will probably be worn out. I'm planning to take the tyres of the rims and store the tyres in the loft (I figure a dark, dry place is prbably best? Or should I leave them on the rim and pump them up extra hard? Is there any treatments I could spray on that could help preserve the rubber?
Also, anyone know of a good alloy wheel refurbisher in the Warrington area? I'm thinking of getting my spare set of TRX rims refurbished ready for shows next year.

Thanks

Richard
Preserving unused tyres - nick
Dark and dry off the rims is probably the best, though 5 years is probably pushing it. Many people recommend changing tyres after 5 years regardless of wear. It'd be interesting to hear from someone who knows.
Preserving unused tyres - Adam {P}
Re alloy refurbisher, take the trip to Prescot and use Pro Clean.

Absolute legends at what they do.
--
Adam
Preserving unused tyres - Quinny100
Any contact details for them Adam?

I could do with my front 2 refurbing - how much do they charge?
Preserving unused tyres - Adam {P}
Can do,

61-63 Houghton Street, Prescot Merseyside. L34 5RS

0151 292 5526

Ask for Paul.

When I got mine done, it was 30 quid a wheel but it looks better than brand new. I can personally guarantee their work as do a lot of other people judging by the amount a surprisingly new BM's and Mercs they have in to refurbish.

--
Adam
Preserving unused tyres - Number_Cruncher
If you keep them pumped up, store the tyres by stacking the rims sidewall to sidewall.

If you take them off the rims, store them with the tyre in its normal attitude, and rotate every month to avoid flat spotting.

Keeping the tyres in a dark place is a good idea.

Putting them in a vacuum bag to prevent ozone/oxygen attack is even better. Structural rubber parts over 100 years old have remained servicable when operated in dark air free conditions.

Number_Cruncher
Preserving unused tyres - none
Dark, dry and cool is best. If you store them off wheel, keep them upright, and it wouldn't hurt to turn them every now and then.
If they're stored flat for any length of time, the walls tend to settle towards each other, making bead sealing very difficult.
Preserving unused tyres - Happy Blue!
As oxygen and sulphur in the air attack rubber, the best way to preserve rubber is to put the tyres in a dark plastic bag and suck out the air. I would also coat the tyres in a silicone grease but not vaseline as this may attack the rubber.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Preserving unused tyres - Andrew-T
Within the last 12 months I have recovered the original spare tyres on a 99T 306 and a 2000W Clio, paired them with new equivalents, and put them into circulation. Both looked good as new, having been untouched in the dark, either in or under the boot. No point in scrapping them!
Preserving unused tyres - lezebre
Lofts can get very hot on sunny summer days. I kept my tyres under the spare bed until Swmbo's nose began to twitch!
Preserving unused tyres - RichardP
Thanks for your prompt replies! Maybe I could make a feature of them in the house?! The loft is well insulated and also has insulation on the underside of the sloping roof itself and is well ventilated. I thought that the sun would do considerable damage to car's tyres? I think I'll take them off the rims and store them upright, possibly in sealed up plastic bags (bin liners?!) and send the rims to Pro clean - I really fancy the 'diamond cut' finish as on their site. Then I'll probably stick my other set of tyres on the refurbed rims - then I'll have a spare set of rims...not sure what to do with those?!
Cheers
Preserving unused tyres - L'escargot
See www.michelin.co.uk/uk/auto/auto_cons_bib_stk_pne_h...p

This is an extract:-

Following these few storage precautions will enable you to keep your winter tyres in perfect condition for when you come to use them again next year:

- Before taking your wheels off, note their position on your car. This will allow you to swap your front tyres to the back next winter, to balance their wear.
- Clean your wheels and tyres with water and dry them well to limit any corrosion.
- Remove stones etc. trapped in the tyre grooves.
If your tyres are mounted on rims, store them hanging up or lying down: if they are de-mounted, store them standing up or flat.
- Store your tyres away from light, ideally in a cool, dry area and above all, do not store them near solvents (fuel, oils etc).
--
L\'escargot.