Does anybody here use TeleAtlas map CDs? - Timaru
Hi - I've just replaced my Navteq CD with a 2005 TeleAtlas and while the routs it provides are fine it seems to have some strange ideas on the location of town names.

I was coming along the coast road from Dover to Arundel the other day and while passing through Hastings, the guiding was fine, it was telling me that I was on such and such road which was right but not once did the town read-out show Hastings, in fact for most of the sea front the town read-out was showing a place that I think is in Norfolk. As soon as I passed the sign saying welcome to Bexhill, the town read-out changed to Bexhill - Hooray! This was not an isolated incidence.

Has anybody else found this or have I got some kind of bug in my system?
Does anybody here use TeleAtlas map CDs? - Altea Ego
what system?
Factory fit VDO Dayton MS5000.
Cant confirm that error, not used that system there in that location but same system with the latest Navtech maps is ok elsewhere.

I can only think the errors are on the disk - if I put in my partners post code the correct road appears and the route takes you straight there but it gives the town as Mount Pleasant, Southampton, which is 12 miles from where she lives and I doubt if anybodies called that area of town Mount Pleasant for 50 years.
Tele Atlas has some strange naming anomolies on TomTom as well. The roads are accurate, but names can be wierd.
Does anybody here use TeleAtlas map CDs? - philipb
On my VW Tele-Atlas CD, the names are often slightly out. St. Helen's comes out as Saint Helens which just looks wrong.

By and large it is very accurate but it does get itself confused when coping with the "spaghetti junction" near Old Trafford as the A56 meets the A5063 and a few other roads besides.

It is still far better tempered than my wife when asked to navigate!
Does anybody here use TeleAtlas map CDs? - Zippy123
Was it reading St Leonards On Sea? This is a suburb of Hastings used to be a new town in the 1800's and has its own postal area so is still known as St Leonards. Most of the sea front from the pier west is St Leonards.
Does anybody here use TeleAtlas map CDs? - Adam {P}
St Helens comes out as Saint Helens on mine too.

I call it S'int ellins anyway!
--
Adam
Zippy - You could be right, St. Leonards does ring a bell. It's nice to see somebody trying to preserve these old names even though it's confusing the hell out of me!

I've got to the point now where I only put the address in if I know the first 5 digits of the post code.
Does anybody here use TeleAtlas map CDs? - henry k
it seems to have some strange ideas on the location of town names.

It is all part of the challenge.
I note that Google Earth cannot pinpoint the Sphinx and I understand that has been around for a little while.
Does anybody here use TeleAtlas map CDs? - Colonel Panic
Yes, I borrowed a Teleatlas disc, I only have a basic system and found it too hard to enter an accurate destination. When I couldn't enter my own address I ditched it and got another Navteq one. It was also a shame how when you swap from one to another, your addressbook entries are incompatible.
Mmmmm....... I think I'll keep an eye on ebay and try to pick up a cheap 2005 Navteq disk. It's a pity as there seems to be more detail on the TeleAtlas - there are a couple of small lanes around here that weren't on my old Navteq but are on the new TeleAtlas.
Does anybody here use TeleAtlas map CDs? - Colonel Panic
Yes there is a man on ebay tinyurl.com/a4fdw
if you message him, he is very helpful about sending cheap ones of whatever you want.
Thanks for that I'll send him a message.
Does anybody here use TeleAtlas map CDs? - No FM2R
From an e-mail I received today about the latest maps available for VDO Dayton...

Navteq

France: 99% coverage (previously 73%), 325,000 POI (previously 211,000)

Ireland: 31% coverage (previously 18%)

Italy: 90% coverage (previously 58%)

Scandinavia: DK, S, N and FIN 99% (previously DK and S 99%, N 25%, FIN 20%)

Spain: 51,000 POI (previously 39,000)

Czech Republic: 68% coverage (previously 48%)

Tele Atlas Europe package

France: 234,000 POI (previously 172,000)

Italy: 93% coverage (previously 85%), 230,000 POI (previously 150,000)

Germany: 350,000 POI (previously 262,000)

Scandinavia: DK, S, N and FIN 99%(previously 50% in FIN)

Czech Republic: 82% coverage (previously 39%)