Focus TDCi smoke problems - Blue {P}
Hi all, further to my post in discussion, I've just picked up a 53 reg Focus TDCi that seemed to smoke quite heavily when accelerating under load, especially in second.

On the way home we got stuck in a bad traffic jam that took the best part of 2 hours to cover 6 miles, whilst in this jam I noticed it was even worse, emitting huge clouds during the little bits of progress that we made, as I put it into second (at quite a low speed) and put my foot down, out came all the smoke.

I rang the garage that I used to work at and arranged to bring it in and show them, but I couldn't get it to make quite such a bad repeat of this trick on the way in. I spoke to the mechanic there and we reckoned we would be wasting our time taking it out if it wasn't smoking so he said give it a week of your own driving and see what happens. If I'm not happy he can then update the ECU with all the latest codes etc.

Now then, after doing a forum search, I'm pretty sure that there's a new EGR valve design, does anyone have info on the TSB relating to the EGR problem and also any general information that I may not be aware of.

The car drives otherwise fine and acheived 42mpg on a 250 mile tank, of which about 2 hours was virtually stationary, the rest was wildly fluctuating speeds between 65 and 80mph, I was following my dad and we didn't travel at a very steady speed at all.

The power also seems very lacking before 2,000 rpm, but that's about right on this engine from the very little that I remember of driving it, isn't it?

Any help appreciated!

Blue
Focus TDCi smoke problems - Chips with everything
I'm not sure what the TSB code is, but the guys at www.ffoc.co.uk will.

HTH,

Chips.
Focus TDCi smoke problems - cheddar
Should pull well from 17-1800, is it a 100 or 115? Try a few tankfuls of BP Ultimate or otherwise add some Millers Diesel Plus (suggest not adding Millers to BP Ult, reckon they use the same or similar additives) and use the revs.
Will try a tank of BP ultimate the next time I fill, from what I can see the car has probably been run on Shell fuel anyway from new so I think it's been well looked after on that score. The only reason I'm guessing this is because the closest fuel station to the guy's house was a reasonably priced Shell one, not exactly comprehensive proof, but I know where I would have bought my fuel if I was him.

It's the 115 unit, and it does start to pull reasonably at around 17 - 1800 I think, although you really notice the power when you hit 2,000. Will take proper notice of exactly when the power kicks in next time.

Blue
Focus TDCi smoke problems - pug3
I have copied the TSB below.The copy did not transfer clearly as some info is in boxes which will not copy straight over. i hope you can find the information you require

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN No.107/2002
Car and Light/Medium Commercial 24.10.2002

Section: 303 - 08B

Model: Focus with 1.8L Endura-DI engine (75/90 PS) or 1.8L DuraTorq-TDCi engine built from 01.2001 to 07.03.2002 (build code 1J to 2S)

Markets: All

Subject: Excessive black smoke from the exhaust; loss of power/performance

Summary

Should a customer express concern that there is excessive black smoke from the exhaust or that the vehicle is showing a loss of power/performance, the probable cause is the EGR valve sticking in the open position. To rectify this concern, a modified intake manifold/EGR valve assembly should be installed.

The modified EGR valve which has a protective sleeve to prevent it from sticking has been installed in production after 07.03.2002 (build code 2S).

Parts Required
ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿
³ Description ³ Finis Code ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ Intake manifold/EGR valve ³ 1 219 722 ³
³ assembly - DuraTorq - TDCi ³ ³
³ engine ³ ³
³ Outlet pipe, charge air ³ 1 201 246 ³
³ cooler - DuraTorq - TDCi ³ ³
³ engine ³ ³
³ Hose assembly, charge air ³ 1 139 450 ³
³ cooler - DuraTorq - TDCi ³ ³
³ engine ³ ³
³ Tube assembly, EGR - DuraTorq ³ 1 137 048 ³
³ - TDCi engine ³ ³
³ Clamp - DuraTorq - TDCi ³ 1 079 902 ³
³ engine ³ ³
³ Intake manifold/EGR valve ³ 1 207 194 ³
³ assembly - Endura-DI engine ³ ³
³ Nut (1 off) ³ 6 076 340 ³
³ Bolt (2 off) ³ 1 595 004 ³
³ Bolt (4 off) ³ 6 175 265 ³
³ Gasket, intake manifold ³ 1 113 080 ³
ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÁÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ

Labour Time
ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿
³ Exhaust Gas Recirculation ³ 2.3 hours ³
³ (EGR) Valve - Renew ³ ³
ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÁÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ

Repair Code
ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿
³ Causal Part: ³ 21183 ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ Defect Code: ³ 41 ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ ACES Condition ³ 41 ³
³ Code: ³ ³
ÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÁÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÙ

Production Action

A revised EGR valve has been installed in production on 1.8L Endura-DI and 1.8L DuraTorq-TDCi engines built in Dagenham from 08.03.2002 (build code 2S).

Service Instructions

See summary

EGR valve - renew

Vehicles with 75 PS or 90 PS diesel engine

Note:
Install a new intake manifold gasket (see Parts Required).

1. Remove, discard and install a new intake manifold/EGR valve assembly (see Parts Required). For additional information, refer to Focus Workshop Manual Section 303 - 08B.

Vehicles with 115 PS diesel engine built up to 03/2002

Note:
Install a new intake manifold gasket, EGR tube, outlet pipe and hose assembly (see Parts Required).

2. Remove, discard and install a new intake manifold/EGR valve assembly (see Parts Required). For additional information, refer to Focus Workshop Manual Section 303 - 08B.

µ 3. Using a suitable sharp implement, cut the vacuum line, reducing its length by 200 mm and attach to the charge air cooler outlet pipe.
Thanks for that Pug3, sorry it's taken me a while to reply, I didn't realise that you had posted that.

I've just had the software upgraded today, apparently there was an upgrade available which my dealership have zapped onto it.

I couldn't see any smoke at all on the way home, but I wasn't sure if the car was also a bit less powerful.

Apparently the software upgrade keeps the EGR valve open for longer, if anyone happens to know what the upgrade to the software actually does then feel free to let me know!

Blue