Selling a cosmetically challenged car - Biglig
Hi,

I wonder if you have some advice on a slightly odd situation.

I am unexpectedly about to obtain a new car (for complicated and boring reasons) and so find my current trusty 3-door R-reg Rover 200, which I had fully intended to run into the ground, surplus to my requirements.

However, since I had always intended to just keep it until it fell apart, and had no plans that I would ever sell it, I haven't bothered to keep it in good nick cosmetically.
I don't particularly care what my car looks like, and in fact I kinda like it looking rubbish, as then I'm never worried about parking it in dodgy places.

Mechanically it's fine. Rover serivced until it got too old to be worth the money, then looked after at a decent local garage. For me, the car is ideal, and in a perfect world I'd just SORN it and store it away as a sort of spare, but I'm shortly not going to have the room for that. (More boring and complex reasons)

So the question becomes how much work should I do on it before selling it. I'll get it nice and clean, of course (probably a first for this car) but, for example, should I fix the busted stereo? Get the dint out of the wing where a deer tried to headbutt the car? (the deer wasn't hurt, to my relief and astonishment) Replace that rear window washer unit that's never worked right since I had the back door replaced by some Insurance company recommended idiots a few years ago?

I've been umming and awing about this for a while, because it seems such a waste to sell it for peanuts when it's perfectly fine for me (and I suppose I'm a little sentimentally attached to it), but I'm getting the new car whatever I do and so I think it is time to bite the bullet.

Anyhow, any suggestions gratefully recieved.
Selling a cosmetically challenged car - Stuartli
You are emotionally attached - it proves expensive in the long run...:-)

Don't worry as there are many, many thousands in the same boat.

Advertise it in a local free rag and state no reasonable offer refused or something on those lines.

No doubt it would cost more to repair it than it's worth.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Selling a cosmetically challenged car - Thommo
In the current climate an R reg Rover 200 in perfect condition is pretty much worthless. One in bad condition, pennies.

If you can't store it then sell it for whatever you can get. Repairs will never recover the cost.

Selling a cosmetically challenged car - Happy Blue!
I would give it a good clean and get the radio and rear washer sorted. If the paint is not cracked maybe find a dentmaster type company draw it out, otherwise don't bother.

These will probably not have a great effect on value, but will make the car more presentable and therefore saleable.

Otherwise bung it in a local auction.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Selling a cosmetically challenged car - Jonathan {p}
This is probably a perfect example of a car that should be sold in ebay. Sell it with all its faults listed and see what you get for it.
Selling a cosmetically challenged car - madf
Keep it in the driveway until the tyres have gone flat, there is moss in the gutters, it has holes in the sills and it looks a mess. Then you will lose all emotional attachment to it and pay someone to take it away (it certainly will not be driveable)

:-)

madf

Selling a cosmetically challenged car - Adam {P}
I'm with Espada on this one. Get the washer and radio sorted and price up how much it'd cost to sort the dent out.

At the end of the day, you're trying to get the car sold - not make loads of dosh on it.
--
Adam
Selling a cosmetically challenged car - Adam {P}
Well it made sense when I typed it.
--
Adam
Selling a cosmetically challenged car - blue_haddock
Whack it on ebay - i recently sold an old rover 100 with various problems and it went for far more than i expected. If your Rover is ok mechanically it may be attractive to somone requiring mechanical parts - ie HG's gone and cooked the engine so they can make 1 good one from 2 bad ones
Selling a cosmetically challenged car - Hugo {P}
Whereabouts in the country are you?

I may know of a young learner driver who would be interested.

Otherwise do all the above but stick it on the HJ classifieds!