Megane 1.6 plugs coils etc - spongefactory
My wifes Scenic (2002 1.6 petrol) has just been nursed home after developing quite a bad misfire. It's 1000 miles overdue for it's 36k service, so i'm not really suprised.I'm assuming for the moment that it's a plug (or plugs)and I've removed them ready for the new ones to go in the morning. The plugs didn't look too bad to my untrained eye, so I was wondering what else it could be. I'm thinking of changing plugs, then if thats no better, fitting new coils. I'm just looking to make the car roadworthy until it gets it's major service in a couple of weeks.
So...I'm wondering, should the coils be changed everytime new plugs are fitted, and are they expensive? Would a faulty coil cause a misfire?
Also, what should the gap be? I would have reset the gap and tried the old plugs again, but it's a sunday night, I'm cold and dirty and I don't know the gap anyway!
Cheers.
Megane 1.6 plugs coils etc - madf
Coils? Think again at this price
tinyurl.com/7qylr

(ebay is a great source - most things auto that break are sold ther!)

madf

!

(speechless)

I was thinking maybe £20...so £25 on Ebay doesn't look that bed...then I realised thats for ONE, not a set of four.

Hope it's Ok with four new plugs.
Megane 1.6 plugs coils etc - David Horn
Coils. Brother's Megane had same problem. Take it to local garage and ask them to interrogate the car's ECU. It'll tell them which coil has the problem, even down to the exact time and number of misfires.

You may in fact need to have the ECU reset after changing the coil, as the car notices that it's a different one.
Megane 1.6 plugs coils etc - Aprilia
£25 for a new plug-top coil is cheap. There are some that cost as much as a new telly!

In my experience, once you have one coil go the others follow not long after (assuming they're all the same age etc.).
Megane 1.6 plugs coils etc - Altea Ego
Coils? Think again at this price
tinyurl.com/7qylr
(ebay is a great source - most things auto that break
are sold ther!)
madf

Also most things auto that are broken are sold there!
Changed plugs this morning, didn't help. Bought new coil locally (genuine Renault, but not from a main dealer - £42)tried it on each plug and it turned out to be third one I tried. Car is fine now apart from a low tickover ( about 5-600 RPM) this could be down to the fact that I didn't gap the plugs. I'll do them at the weekend, and that'll do us till it gets it's service in a month or two ( when Mrs S has saved up).