A Fox or a Panda? - Nickdm
The outlaws are so impressed with the wife's Panda that they're going to splash out and buy themselves a car to use for trundling round Copenhagen in their retirement.

Before they make the decision & buy a new Panda - 1.2, mid-spec model - it was pointed out to them that the new VW Fox costs only UK£400 more (1.2, 3-cyl. motor)... Should they be tempted?

VW is supposedly the better brand, although plenty of us on this forum think otherwise based upon bitter experience.

Both brands have a dealership within a mile of their home, so no big advantages there.

Since they're buying cash, with nothing to trade-in, surely a 10% discount on either car is possible too?
A Fox or a Panda? - P3t3r
Definately the Panda!

The Panda is supposed to have a very good build quality, and VW have been going down hill, so I suspect that the Fox will be built no better than the Panda!

IIRC the Fox is slow, heavy, and thirsty. The Panda is light, frugal, and fun! I don't know the exact specs of the Fox, but I don't think you can go wrong with the Panda.

If you get the Panda though, go for the 1.2, not the 1.1. It's faster, and more economical too. I'm not sure what you want the car for, but the 107/C1/Aygo could be worth a look too. They are a similar price, but should be considerably cheaper to run.
A Fox or a Panda? - bartycrouch
Both are good enough new cars and a test drive should be taken in both, especially if it is only a mile to each dealer!

After that if they are still decided they need to think how long they want to keep the car. A couple of years, take the Fox, longer then the lower cost of the Panda may appeal.

Since they're buying cash, with nothing to trade-in, surely a 10%
discount on either car is possible too?

A lovely idea, but cash is probably the least attractive option to the dealer. Finance makes them money and a good trade-in car is also an opportunity to make a profit.

You could get them to mention to each dealer that they like the other vehicle and the deal will all come down to price. I would not expect any real discount on the Fox.

A Fox or a Panda? - Shaz {p}
How about a Citroen C2 or C3 - should get them at a good price - better value then the C1/Toyota/pug thingy, slightly bigger, nippy, fun, cheap too.
A Fox or a Panda? - hillman
Given that it gets pretty cold and snows every year in Copenhagen why not advise them to go for the 4wd Panda ?
A Fox or a Panda? - Vansboy
& if they're advancing in years, bet the Panda is easier to get in & out of!!

Panda, it is then!!

VB
A Fox or a Panda? - P3t3r
Given that it gets pretty cold and snows every year in
Copenhagen why not advise them to go for the 4wd Panda
?

Much slower (too slow)
Consumes much more fuel
Looks to tall
More roll in corners
Probably doesn't handle as well
It costs more to buy

That's why!

Of course, if there is a lot of snow, then a 4x4 may have some benefits. I'd only get a 4x4 if I was desperate.
A Fox or a Panda? - barchettaman
Yep, having driven both 2wd and 4wd I would concur. They will use winter tyres up there and never need 4wd. The 4wd Panda was the slowest car I´ve ever driven (had one on hire for a couple of days) and used a huge amount of fuel.
The 2wd is an absolute hoot. Car with a personality - not many you can say that about.
A Fox or a Panda? - PandaFan
I have a Panda (the 1.2 Dynamic SkyDome) and have driven over 15,000 miles since I bought it new. Brilliant car - great to drive, around 55mpg, group 2 insurance - I absolutely love it - thoroughly recommended!
A Fox or a Panda? - Nickdm
- 4WD not worth the extra £££ layout, and besides looking at the Fiat Denmark website I don't think it's even offered in that country. (Small market).

Everyone has winter tyres over there - the garage will keep a set for them as part of the deal and swap them over each Autumn/Spring. And it's a flat country, so no big hills to navigate!

Bear in mind the 100%+ car tax in Denmark, the 1.2 2WD will be setting them back almost UK£12K s it is..!!

They are in their late-60s, won't be driving great distances and will keep the car for several years, so resale value is not top of their list.

I imagine the Fiat is cheaper to maintain too? I just paid barely UK£60 including fitting and VAT for a new door mirror for the wife's (don't ask...).

I think Panda is the best choice too, I was just curious to see if the Fox had any admirers (yet).