Aux. Input to car radio - Big Mack
Does anyone know if it is possible to connect an auxiliary audio input to the radio in my 54 reg Vectra so I can plug my PDA/MP3 player in? The unit is the standard fit CDR2005. What I envisage is a 3.5mm jack socket mounted on one of the spare switch plates around the radio unit.

I also want a DAB radio, but think it's probably a lot cheaper to rig an aux input and just plug in a portable DAB unit.

Thanks in advance.
Aux. Input to car radio - strowger
A portable DAB unit isn't going to get a good enough signal in most circumstances.

I've got a Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB52. It's very nice, although quite expensive. One of my colleagues was impressed by it and has bought a DAB54.

If you do go down that route, two things:

The glassmount DAB aerial isn't really adequate, whereas the stick-on boosted one ("windowmount") is amazingly good.

The Goodmans DAB car stereo unit is woefully bad - avoid.
Aux. Input to car radio - AngryJonny
The Toyota Aygo has one of these on the front of the stereo. Why on earth no-one's done this before I have no idea.
Aux. Input to car radio - GolfR_Caravelle_S-Max
I had the same problem recently. I have an MP3 player I wanted to play through the car stereo. Unfortunately, I have an in-car CD player (Standard Fiat thing so no MP3).
I took it out hoping to find an AUX IN or a headphone type socket.. No luck.
So.. searched EBAY for "Car FM transmitter" and for about £6 plus around £5 P+P you can get a gizmo that will plug into the headphone socket of any music device and will transmit on an FM frequency that you can tune your radio to.

Potential for tuning to Radio 1 and speaking over the radio of the car next to you is an endless source of amusement!

Be aware though!
1. Gen up on Wireless and broadcasting act as they might be in a legal minefield

2. Some have "four fixed frequencies" others can be adjusted in 0.1 increments between 87.5 and 108FM. Definately go for the latter and find a clear frequency for your area..

Quality (If we assume I bought one last July) is pretty good.
Aux. Input to car radio - Adam {P}
I have read that these FM transmitters are illegal but I have no idea as to the credibility of the source.
--
Adam
Aux. Input to car radio - blue_haddock
Yep i'm fairly certain these transmitters are illegal as they could interfere with other stations or emergency services frequencies.

My aftermarket Panasonic Headunit has an Aux-in on the front of the headunit - much more useful than a rear mounted socket.
Aux. Input to car radio - Altea Ego
They are not legal under any circumstance.

but hey who cares!
Aux. Input to car radio - colinh
This firm does an interface for most makes (except Vauxhall, apparently!)- mimics a CD changer, etc.

www.icd-ltd.com/main.html

Aux. Input to car radio - Stargazer {P}
This firm does an interface for most makes (except Vauxhall, apparently!)-

Or Volvo

:-(
Aux. Input to car radio - henry k
This firm does an interface for most makes (except Vauxhall, apparently!)-
mimics a CD changer, etc.
www.icd-ltd.com/main.html

And the price is ?
Aux. Input to car radio - Adam {P}
That box is very similar to the one I bought. It's called an "adapter" and it's made by Soundlinx. It looks identical to that and allows me to connect my 6000 stereo up to an Alpine cd changer.

Cost? £50. It's a box with a few wires in.
--
Adam
Aux. Input to car radio - Bill Payer
Yep i'm fairly certain these transmitters are illegal as they could
interfere with other stations or emergency services frequencies.

They're widely on sale in the US, including what look like good quality ones in the Apple stores, to use with iPod's. I know they could still be illegal here, but the FCC is a very fierce organisation in the US and I don't imagine they'd let them go if they caused real problems.
...Aux-in on the front of the headunit - much more useful than a >> rear mounted socket.

Oo-er missus.
Aux. Input to car radio - Dynamic Dave
Does anyone know if it is possible to connect an auxiliary
audio input to the radio - The unit is the standard fit CDR2005.

AFAIA, there are no auxiliary inputs on this stereo.