What car should I buy - spikeyhead {p}
I've got bored with my Audi A4. A string of minor incidents, two punctures, the quarter panel being keyed and the nearside wing being dented in a pub carpar in the feww weeks that I've been driving it have made me realise its not the car for me. I'n convinced its jinxed so its got to go.

I'm currently back to driving my old Cavalier td whilst the Audi is in the bodyshop. I'll keep running that until I find soemthing suitable to replace it with.

Main requirements are that it must do >45mpg. I do 30k miles a year and need teh economy. I don't want anythign much bigger than the cavalier. Parkign behind my house is a tight squeeze and the A4 is about the largest car that can comfortably be parked there. I'd like a bit more grunt that Cavalier but I'm likely to buy another Caterham as well to have soem fun in, so ultimate performance isn't a necessity.

I don't want to have high servicing costs, £270 for an oil change and to have the rubbers on your windscreen wipers torn isn't my idea of good value for money, another reason why I'm not as keen on the Audi as I would be just frmo the driving experience.

I know I don't want a mundano, or even a Focs, so please don't suggest either of these.

The octavia is a possibility, and possibly a Leon.

Is there anythign else out there that I should consider?
--
I read often, only post occasionally
What car should I buy - chris_w
What's your budget to give us an idea?
What car should I buy - AngryJonny
What's your budget?
D'oh. Beaten to it.
You gotta be quick to win it!
Not really fussed, the A4 should fetch ~9k, so somewhere around that, though if I can find somethign that will be good for three years at £3 then I'll be just as happy spending that much. I'm more concerned with cost of ownership over three years.

--
What car should I buy - Happy Blue!
Can you find an older BMW 320d for that money?

How about Skoda Fabia VRs?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
I'd have thought anything from BMW or VAG would put you up into the realms of extortionate servicing.

Have you thought of something Japanese, like the new Avensis or Accord? Not sure what you'd get for 9k though.
The Accord is just too expensive - was going to be one of my rec's. You could get something like a Mazda 6 for 9k quite easily, have never driven one (apart from on my Playstation!) but hear that they are good cars.

There are always the French cars to consider (if you dare!) like the Laguna and the C5? Or alternatively an Alfa 156, which may go wrong occasionaly...
I've had a Fabia tdi. Lovely car apart from teh front seat adjuster that protrudes from teh front seat just where I like to rest my left leg occaisionally when I'm on a long drive. Its the only reason I sold it. Does anyone know if the Octavia is the same?
--
What car should I buy - DazSV
My sister's boyfriend has a Leon and he has never had any trouble with it whatsoever, and the fuel tank is huge, not sure how the economy is though.

Lovely looking car though, and not too slow, worth a further look into I'd say
Proud owner of Suzuki SV 650S with race kit.
0-60 quicker than a Lamborghini Murcielago
What car should I buy - dieselicious
my peugeot 406 2.0 hdi is for sale

51 plate with 43k on the clock, and 4 months peugeot warranty remaining..........

will average 45 easily, and is in excellent condition
What car should I buy - Xileno {P}
Rover 75 diesel? Nice BMW engine, well built, comfy, bit different. Just don't expect much resale value though.
Rover 75 diesel? Nice BMW engine, well built, comfy, bit different.
Just don't expect much resale value though.

Its too big
--
Its bigger than I'd like.

From the CBCB:-

"A sub-editing nightmare in the Which? Car office - there are more things wrong with the 406 than we could fit in our summaries."

--
What car should I buy - edisdead {P}
"my peugeot 406 2.0 hdi is for sale...
...will average 45 easily, and is in excellent condition"

I think he might want to go a little bit faster than that? ;-)
What car should I buy - dieselicious
i must have a fine example then..............

nothing wrong in 8 months of ownership.
What car should I buy - y2k+4
Toledo TDi. Though more difficult to source than a Leon, the fact that it's a saloon (as an A4 owner, I assume that it won't put you off) it will cheaper (thanks to being a saloon, and having already been replaced) and one of the last one's ought to have all the toys with the PD 130/150 engines...
The Toledo's looking possible. Its a shame that the 130/150BHP versions weren't available earlier.

How easy is it to chip one of the earlier 110s? anyone know?
--
What car should I buy - y2k+4
While I've no doubt it's easier to chip a 110, I don't think that's the only difference between the 110 and later 130/150 engines, as these use the later PD-technology...
What car should I buy - oldtoffee
>>How easy is it to chip one of the earlier 110s? anyone know?

Very easy. Lots of companies can change the chip or provide a tuning box. My local Skoda dealer upgrades them to 150 bhp with no qualms about servicing and warranty.
What car should I buy - Xileno {P}
Just remember to tell your insurance.
What car should I buy - andymc {P}
Can definitely recommend the Leon TDi 110 - have had mine from new for almost 4 years & still think of it as new. I will probably still have this car 2 or 3 years from now, I'm so happy with it. Still looks stylish IMHO even as a 6 year old design. Although less refined than the 130/150 PD engines, the TDi 110 may be less of a prima donna and can be chipped to 150 bhp without being overstretched. Remaps can be had from Upsolute for around £300 IIRC (which may be on the cards again this year if I can find an insurer willing to cover it without adding 50% to the premium ...)
All things being equal, the Toledo tends to be cheaper, so if you don't need a hatch (obviously you don't) then that would be the one to go for of these two.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...