Computer Related Questions - Volume 59 - Dynamic Dave

******** This thread now closed. Please see Volume 60 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33512

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 59. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Flickering Display - none
I have a fairly new HP pavilion computer and a 2yr old Relisys 17" CRT monitor.
Recently, for about 15mins after starting the monitor clicks and the picture narrows by about 1/2" each side. Sometimes the whole picture shrinks by about 1/2" top and bottom and each side. This happens 5 or 6 times within the first 15mins, switching between full screen and shrunken mode. With the last click the display settles down into it's normal size and is OK for the rest of the time it's switched on.
I don't have another monitor to substitute, and before I dig out my old computer I wondered if anyone could help ?
Flickering Display - Altea Ego
It is something to do with the monitor switching modes. The "click" indicates it is dropping into a diffrent refresh rate / mode. (ie say going from 1024*768 into 1254*950 or similar.

Now question is

Is it your video card, your monitor, or your software that doing it (all can switch modes)

I suspect its a monitor problem.
Flickering Display - Stuartli
It also might just be a component on the blink or its duties/characteristics changing as it warms up.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
dvd+-rw - Civic8
Is it possible to completely erase one of these discs.All I seem to be able to do is a quick erase.which only erases table of contents.If not is there a reason why not?

TIA
--
Steve
DVD decoder - borasport20
my PC is now fitted with a DVD writer, for backup purposes.

When I try to view a retail DVD (The Simpsons, as you asked !) Windows Media Player tells me some guff about reducing the definition, but if you follow it through, the problem is I dont have a DVD-decoder.

Can anyone recommend (a) a good, free one and failing that, (b) a good one. I did try downloading a free one from tucows, but it had masses of 'spyware' functionality.

ta
Arithmetical Formulae on Keyboard - drbe
Is it possible to get the arithmetical formulae of:- divide, square root, squared and fractions?

I can see, or improvise +, =, x, %, ( ), -, but the others I can't see.

This relates to a brain teaser I am emailing to friends, if you would like to try it, send me an email.

Thanks Don
Arithmetical Formulae on Keyboard - borasport20
Don

slash / usually = divide
backwards slash \ = integer divide
caret ^ = to the power of, so ^2 =squared, ^3=cubed

square root oftem abbreivated to root or sqrt

whether your friends will know the conventions or not is a different matter

p.s. - I think you have my email addy - send us a copy ?
ta

Arithmetical Formulae on Keyboard - borasport20
of course. it's never that simple -
the exclamation mark ! can also mean 'to the power of' in some syntaxes (syntii ? syntices ??) but, if memory serves, in 'O' level maths, it means factorial

Arithmetical Formulae on Keyboard - drbe
of course. it's never that simple -
the exclamation mark ! can also mean 'to the power of'
in some syntaxes (syntii ? syntices ??) but, if memory serves,
in 'O' level maths, it means factorial

Thanks for that borasport.

I have since managed to find and download - Microsoft Equation Editor and Mathtype. Both of these are far more complicated for my needs, but don't seem to have the very simple symbols that I want, such as the "divide by" sign ( a dot above and below a dash )

Don
Hotmail - Adam {P}
I swear to God, it's doing my head in. Because I use it with Outlook Express, I keep having to "log in to Hotmail" and view these stupid pictures and try and decode them to prove I'm not a computer. All in the interest of preventing spam supposedly.

Well - it's annoyed me for the last time. Who can recommend a decent POP3 email account service. I've had a glance but there's a limit on a lot of them to stop spam so I guess I'll have to pay.

Any ideas?
--
Adam
Hotmail - borasport20
Adam - cannot comment on the value-for-money aspect, but these people have been my ISP since the internet was clockwork

Mike

Hotmail - borasport20
in case you couldn't read the text that was the same colour as the background, I meant THESE people

www.freenetname.co.uk/services/justmail/

Hotmail - frostbite
Yes, been with freenetname for about 3 years - not perfect but pretty good.

Support always answer mail within 24hrs and they've even phoned me twice.
Hotmail - Adam {P}
In what way "nor perfect" frosty?
--
Adam
Hotmail - frostbite
In what way "nor perfect" frosty?

So minor, I can't honestly remember now. 'Nor' am I likely to.
Hotmail - Adam {P}
Oh good. Methinks I'll sign upto it then.
--
Adam
Hotmail - frostbite
Have you thought of a good name for your free site?
Hotmail - Adam {P}
Nope.
--
Adam
Hotmail - frostbite
www.bootedfocus.co.uk
Hotmail - Adam {P}
You swine. I just knew I was walking into something!
--
Adam
Hotmail - frostbite
Bet it's available though.
Hotmail - Adam {P}
Oh dear. Do you know what? It's taken.

Damn.

;-)
--
Adam
Hotmail - borasport20
Have you thought of a good name for your free site?

www.adamssaloons.com
www.ireallywantedamondeo.co.uk
www.ireallywantedamondeoTDCI.co.uk

;-)

Hotmail - Adam {P}
Orrrrrr,

www.iknowwhereyoulivemike.com
www.imgoingtopayyouavisitsoon.org
www.sostickthekettleon.net

;-)
--
Adam
Hotmail - Adam {P}
Thanks Mike. If I don't have to decipher stupid pictures to access my mail, 20 quid sounds more than worth it.
--
Adam
Hotmail - DavidHM
Much the same service is offered by NetIdentity in the USA - I've been with them for about 7 years.

They do firstname@surname.net type addresses as well but I think you'd have to go for the full domain name - $30 a year including e-mail and a website.
Hotmail - Welliesorter
If you don't want to pay, Gmail gives both web and proper POP3 access for free. It also has a neat little notifier that sits in your Windows tray area and checks for new messages.

The only snag is that you currently have to be invited to join by an existing user.

I can send you an invitation if you want one. You'd possibly need to check your junk folder in Hotmail for it, as invitations sometimes fall foul of spam filters.

I also have a Netidentity account that works fine, but keep meaning to get rid of it, as it seems a bit pricey for an option where you don't own the domain yourself.

Hotmail - Adam {P}
Welliesorter,

Believe it or not, I actually have a GMail account that I never use. I wasn't aware I could get POP3 access on it.

I'll have a fiddle around with it now,

Cheers,
--
Adam
overactive hard drive - tyro
Not sure if this is a problem, but it does puzzle me.

I have an old Toshiba laptop - Pentium 2, running Windows 98. Sometimes,usually after it's been on a while, the hard drive starts getting rather active, even if I'm not doing anything - i.e. it makes the "hard-drive-at-work" noise, and the "hard-drive-at-work" light comes on. I have Norton Utilities installed, and it indicates that CPU useage, which normally would be at about 0% when I'm not actually doing anything, is about 20%-30% or more.

Has anyone any idea what is going on, and whether I should be concerned? My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I don't think the machine was doing this 6 months ago.

Thanks.
overactive hard drive - Ex-Moderator
Is the disk getting full or particularly fragmented ? It could be having issues with the size/location of its pagefile.

I presume that you have checked for virus or spyware activity, both of which could load your CPU.

Or have you installed something which continues to run in the background.
Thanks Mark

I do have Norton Utilities running (in the background, I guess. Would it really do nothing much for the first 20 mins the computer was switched on, but more active later? Can't think of anything else.

The machine doesn't have a modem, so I very much doubt that there are viruses or spyware there - besides which, I'm not sure about how I would check for them.

Disc probably is fairly fragmented - I've had difficulty trying to defrag. Could this really cause these symptons? I'm talking about leaving the computer for an hour, and coming back and finding the hard drive working away.
overactive hard drive - Ex-Moderator
It could be a combination of things;

Given that the machine has no connection to the outside world, then I agree spyware or viruses are unlikely. Unless you have loaded software from dodgy or copied disks ?? That could soon get you something.

What happens if you switch off Norton Utilities ?

Why are you having a problem defragging ? Have you checked the disk for errors ?
overactive hard drive - Citroënian {P}
Does 98 have a task manager? I can't remember off the top of my head. If it does (CTRL-SHIFT-ESC) look at the performance tab and see of the commit charge is above the physical memory. If you need more memory than you've got physically in RAM it'll swap out to hard disk to extend it, hence the activity.

You could then check the processes tab and see what processes are running to cause the activity.

I would suspect a scheduled check of some sort, be that AV or system tools.

-- Lee .. A festivus for the rest of us.
quick update.

I decided to check the health of the disk. Tried running scandisk, but got error message after a few minutes which said "ScanDisk has restarted 10 times because windows or another program has been writing to the drive. Quitting some running programs may ...."

Well, I couldn't think what might be running, so I uninstalled Norton Utilities, Freezeguard, etc - and tried again. Got same error message.

This time I entered it in Google, and got taken to a helpful microsoft page which suggested a few things to try. So I removed all the items on the quick launch toolbar and turned off the quicklaunch toolbar. (never use it anyway). AND I discoverd that if I pressed CTRL + ALT + DELETE I could find all the running programs. Microsoft told me I shouldn't touch Explorer or Systray, but that I should try pressing END TASK with the others. So I did - having been rather surprised to find all these programs running that I was unaware of. What they were, I don't know. I guess I should have taken a note of them, but didn't. I'm hoping that I won't find I've taken out something I need. HOWEVER, ending these programs may have sorted the problem with the overactive hard drive. For my next step I'll run scandisk again
overactive hard drive - Stuartli
It's a pity you don't know or take a note of which programs were running in the background - you might have some of them configured to automatically check for updates and if you are offline this will probably continue until the program(s) succeed(s).

However, if you haven't stopped them from opening (IIRC you have to do it from the registry in Windows98) they will be back again, although msconfig.exe will show you what is being opened when you switch on.
2nd update of Tyro Technophobe's Traumatic Toshiba Tales . . .

Well, I succeeded in running ScanDisk, and the hard drive seems to be healthy. I then started the computer in safe mode and defragmented the disk. All quite time consuming of course.

And yes, Stuartli, the programs running in the background were back again after I restarted the machine. As well as the above named, we had the following 5: Realplay, Ctfmon, Usbmonit, Irmon, and Mdm. Any idea what they might be - and which might be the culprits?
overactive hard drive - smokie
One of the "known killers" on Win98 was the Windows indexing service.

I don't recall the program name and none of the above spring ring bells but I'm sure someone will be along soon to name it. I also can't remember just how you turn it off but when I have a few more mins I'll have a looksee.

.*********

You don't say whether the problem is cured following your defrag etc...?

If it's still misbehaving do what you did before with ctr/alt/del and ending tasks, but do them one at a time (I'd start with realplayer, then mdm) and see which one has an effect...
I rambled for a whole paragraph above with no swearing. It's now stars. Wonder where that went?

Anyway, part of the ramble was what Mark said...Realplayer
overactive hard drive - Dynamic Dave
I rambled for a whole paragraph above with no swearing. It's
now stars. Wonder where that went?

Smokie, if you can remember what was written, email me with the word (or paragraph) that you *think* may have offended the filter and I'll look into it.

DD.
Thanks DD - it was a vaguely helpful ramble, doesn't matter.
overactive hard drive - No FM2R
kill realplay. There is no need for it to be running in memory. It is probably trying to phone home.
overactive hard drive - Stuartli
RealPlayer needs to be configured (i.e. pruned back dramatically) to do exactly what YOU want it to do, not Real...:-)

Cifmon.exe is part of Office. See: www.iamnotageek.com/a/ctfmon.exe.php for help.

Usbmonit is part of Scandisk's monitoring if you insert a USB flash drive. Try unchecking it in misconfig to see if you get any problems afterwards; if so, re-enable. If you haven't got a flash drive...:-)

Irmon is an infra-red port monitor - again if you don't use this facility try unchecking in misconfig.

mdm.exe is associated with Microsoft's Windows process debugging system, allowing a user to debug Internet Explorer errors by using a script interface tool. Non-essential process and disabling or enabling down to user preference.

Thanks very much all. Most helpful. I'll try things over the next few days, and let you know if I find anything.
Norton problem - BobbyG
Sure this will be straightforward for you experts.

Have Win98, Outlook Express for my email and have Norton Internet Security etc.

When I try and send/receive, box comes up telling me that

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: x', Server: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10054, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

However when I disable Norton for 5 mins, it works fine. I am sure there must be some sort of sccess tab or something that needs fixed but can't find. Any ideas?
Norton problem - Marky Mark
BobbyG,

Try this :-
tinyurl.com/ey6rk

(link to a knowledge base article on the Symantec website in case you're worried!)

MM
Norton problem - BobbyG
Marky, followed all the procedures from that including downloading the file but it still made no difference!
Norton problem - grn
Sounds like a firewall blocking port 110.

Be careful of disabling any firewall completely whilst online as you can acquire nasty unwanted trojeans/viruses within a verrrrry short time, and I mean seconds.

Could always use a free version of Zonealarm or similar if unable to isolate the outbound port 110 blocking that Norton appears to be using.
ADSL cross-over hiss - Roger Jones
Having tested my modem on another system in another house, I have established that there's nothing wrong with it, but using a brand-new BT telephone on the same line I am still getting cross-over hiss on the line, just as previously with an old telephone. I have changed microfilters three times -- no improvement. I have switched the modem between USB ports -- no difference. The modem and telephone are normally run off an extension socket, but I have run the telephone connection from the "external" socket at the front door, the one you expose when you take the inside cover off the unit -- no difference.

Not only do I get cross-over hiss -- which disappears when I disconnect the telephone cable from the modem -- but the Internet connection often (but not always) fails when the telephone rings.

Any clues, anyone? It continues to annoy me.
ADSL cross-over hiss - adverse camber
what sort of filters do you have ?
Are you using a filter on each extension ?
Any power supplies next to the cables ?
What sort of modem is it - sounds like it is not very good. I would always use an adsl router rather than a modem anyway.
ADSL cross-over hiss - No FM2R
I certainly agree you should switch to a router.

What is the history of the BT phone ? Is it a modern one from BT or is it of doubtful ancestry ?
ADSL cross-over hiss - Roger Jones
Thanks for that instant response.

Filters: Originally supplied by Demon, currently Excelsus Z-Blocker and ADSL Nation X-F1e. Filters on all extensions.

Modem: Thomson SpeedTouch 330. No cross-over noise when I used it in a friend's house, swapped with his newly installed identical modem. As Demon supplied it, I thought I'd better use it. OneTel have supplied that same modem to the friend referred to. Some months ago, I did actually get Demon, or rather Thomson, to replace it, as I thought the problem was originally attributable to the modem.

Power supply: Nearby, but telephone and modem cables deliberately routed away from them.

I now have a fresh thought: whether it could be attributable to the gain setting on the line, which I had maximized in dial-up days.
ADSL cross-over hiss - smokie
BT also used to use something called a DAX (IIRC) to split lines in the road to enable them to provide additional line capacity without laying new cables. It was a frequent cause of inability to run a 56k modem at anything like expected rate. ISTR asking BT to turn up gain was a possible assistance here, so it may be that you are on a DAX and your interference is as a result of that.

Then again, maybe not...
ADSL cross-over hiss - buzbee
Roger, I have recently had my BT line replaced due to line noise.

It was caused by a poor connection. Probably tree roots affecting an old joint repair. In other words, one of the wire-pair to my place had a poor connection.

If I listened to the line on a phone handset, I could hear the his/crackle. Picking up and putting a phone down a few times (puts the phone across the pair) would sometimes pulse the joint enough to make it work somewhat better for a while. But soon it was unusuable again.

My modem has a test console that will show me line quality (S/N) from it's test signals. Quality is normally quite good with a 30dB signal to noise ratio. When the phone went across the line that dropped to just a few dB and the ADSL modem became unusable. It confirmed what I thought about a poor joint.

Can you measure line quality with your modem and see if picking up a phone does the same? Don't measure DC line voltage because that drops from 50 volts to about 15V, or so, even when things are normal.
ADSL cross-over hiss - Stuartli
You can check line quality by dialling 17070 and selecting option two.

BT replaced my cabling from the house box to the Master socket about a year ago because of poor dialup connections; even raising the gain or returning it to the status quo didn't help.

They then checked my line from the exchange as I disconnected and reconnected various phone extensions and modem before giving the go ahead for the work, which a very thorough engineer did the following day.

Because it was attributable to BT's section of the line before the house box I fortunately didn't have to pay the £57.50 (including VAT) charge...:-)

ADSL cross-over hiss - buzbee
My repair cost someone a lot more than that -- several hundred.

Font garden dug up and a considerable length of the pavement. Laid new pipe/s from the junction box. Repaired pavement and reconcreted part of my drive etc. Two lots of two men, others, power tools, several days.

What I was trying to get across with the DIY test info. was, with a good line (mine now) you can pick up a phone and the S/N should not change significantly --- less than 1-2dB. I have just looked at mine and it is varying from 33dB to 36dB (modem will work when it is only about 10-12 dB) and shows the same variation with or without the phone off the hook. It would not do that before.

This sort of testing can save you money.
ADSL cross-over hiss - Adam {P}
Stuart, I dialled that and it said

"No CLI found".

What the hell does that mean?
--
Adam
ADSL cross-over hiss - frostbite
Customer line identifier?
ADSL cross-over hiss - frostbite
In other words, you withold your number (?) so it can't identify which one to test.

Try dialling 141 then the number.
Ahh - I forgot about that. It does it by default. dialling 1470 before the number works though.

Cheers frosty,
--
Adam
ADSL cross-over hiss - AlastairW
Try dialling 141 then the number.

141 withholds your number. Its 1470 to override a withheld number, i beleive.
Alastair
Frostbite got it in one re CLI. Using 1470 followed by a comma before your telephone number in your dialup modem's configuration assists ISPs, for instance, to check a subscriber's telephone is being used to access the service (it's the opposite of 1471).

But it's not wholly applicable in this case...:-)

I've just done a test to check it out.

You should hear a message stating: "This circuit is defined as.." (then your phone number is read out in numeral form), before going on to offer several BT Line Test Facilities.
That's what I got Stu.
--
Adam
>>That's what I got >>

...and do you have a quiet line?
I've no idea. I do the test, get nothing, and she chimes in again "Quiet Line Test".
--
Adam
>>I do the test, get nothing>>

Then you must have a very quiet line...:-)
ADSL cross-over hiss - harry m
it means you have your number with held automaticaly,dial 1470 before you dial 17070.
ADSL cross-over hiss - Welliesorter
BT also used to use something called a DAX (IIRC) to
split lines in the road to enable them to provide additional
line capacity without laying new cables.

It's actually DACS. It will give you a slow dial-up connection but it may improve reliability.

It's not applicable here because to have ADSL in the first place you need a continuous connection all the way to the exchange.

If Roger's line ever has been on a DACS, it would have been removed in order to provide ADSL.

There's a fairly accurate guide to DACS at frank.gwc.org.uk/~ali/dacs/

Bigger hard drive - J Bonington Jagworth
I just bought a lovely 160Mb hard drive for my PC (A Fujitsu PIII/933) and it works beautifully, EXCEPT that it takes forever for the BIOS to recognise it. I've got the most recent BIOS update (necessary to overcome the 137Gb limit) and have messed about with the jumper settings, but to no avail. Put the old 20Gb disc in and it leaps into life in seconds - put the new one in and it takes about 30 seconds to identify the HD and then nearly another 30 seconds to register the CD-ROM!

Any thoughts much appreciated - it's a bit of a disappointment, so far...

Bigger hard drive - Stuartli
Have you set the Bios to boot from HDD0?
Well, yes and no - it normally looks first at the floppy, then the CD, then the HD. I did try putting the HD at the top of the list, but with no perceptible change.

However, all is now sweetness and light in the BJ household, as I discovered that the behaviour was due to my temporarily using the power connection for my second CD driver (a writer) to run the new HD (which I didn't want to install properly until it was working!). This had the effect, not seen by me before despite having done this sort of thing fairly regularly, of putting the BIOS in a flap, as the second CD was still connected, just not powered.

Why didn't I use the power connector from the old HD, you ask? Because it was extremely tight and inaccessible! Still, a useful lesson to me and further proof, if proof were needed, that more haste yields less speed. Quite literally, in fact.
BTW, I can now unreservedly recommend the drive, a Seagate Barracuda (ST3160023A) with 8Mb cache, currently available from Maplin for just under £70. It is blissfully quiet, too.
Bigger hard drive - Stuartli
Further re bootup.

It's more rare these days to use a floppy to reboot a system, so it's more general to set the Bios to boot from CD first (in case you have to use an XP installation disk for instance), then the hard drive and finally the A drive.

If you set the A drive first, CD second and then the hard drive, the system takes time searching in turn for each before booting up.

It is, of course, straightforward to (temporarily) reset the sequence in the Bios if you do need to use a floppy or CD for any reason.

By the way, Seagate hard drives are excellent as you say, although I'm a Western Digital Cavalier SE fan myself - came with a three year warranty on OEM versions ending with model number JB when I bought my last two drives.

However, WD changed its warranty provisions around last October and in some cases it's up to five years.
Bigger hard drive - Dalglish
Seagate Barracuda (ST3160023A) with 8Mb cache, currently
available from Maplin for just under £70.

>>

btw, google or ebuyer or kelkoo or pricerunner or dealtime will bring up all inclusive delivered prices below £60.
e.g
www.pricerunner.co.uk/computing/storage/harddrives...s
www.dealtime.co.uk/xPC-Seagate_Barracuda_7200_7_Pl...A

and seagate barracuda have "Manufacturer 5 years warranty ".

I know I could have got it a few pounds cheaper elsewhere, but the bird-in-hand principle took hold this time - also the fact that Maplin are very good about taking things back if they don't work for you, as opposed to being downright faulty.

Less than 50p/Gb is still a fair deal, IMHO!
Bigger hard drive (PS) - J Bonington Jagworth
One thing worth mentioning is that a new HD is probably the most cost-effective upgrade going for any PC that is more than a year or two old, as not only do you get oodles of extra storage space, but everything happens a lot more briskly (notwithstanding my original problem!). I took the easy route of 'ghosting' the contents of my old drive straight across, but if I had done a clean install and removed all my clutter, things would be happening even faster.

What is easy to forget (and computer salesmen don't tell you) is that however fast your HD, it remains the biggest bottleneck in the system, so any improvement there will be more noticeable than faster chips/busses/motherboards elsewhere. I wouldn't argue against more memory, of course, but right now I'd certainly recommend a new HD as the most bang for your buck!
Bigger hard drive (PS) - Stuartli
Fair comment, especially as storage space these days costs buttons.

Four years ago a 6.4GB hard drive cost around £65 - today you can get 160GB including a faster spin speed and bigger cache for that price or even less.
Bigger hard drive (PS) - adverse camber
I have to say I think memory is the most cost effective performance upgrade. I have seen far too many systems with win xp and only 256mb memory crawling and swapping. 512ddr for under £30 makes lots of difference.
>>with win xp and only 256mb memory crawling and swapping>>

I've got XP Pro and, guess what, 256MB of RAM.

There's certainly no crawling and swapping in my case and I've got a lot of stuff on my system, including Google Earth and Nasa's World Wind 1.3, a PCI Freeview TV card etc...:-)

It all works in harmony although, to be fair, I wouldn't say "Go away" to another 256MB of RAM that found its way onto my desk....:-))
Bigger hard drive (PS) - carl_a
Fair comment, especially as storage space these days costs buttons.
Four years ago a 6.4GB hard drive cost around £65 -
today you can get 160GB including a faster spin speed and
bigger cache for that price or even less.
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

4 and a half years ago I bought a 30 GB for £84 and a 20 GB for £65, I'm not sure if it was you before Stuartli but someone was quote huge prices for stuff in the past that just wern't true true. If your going to quote prices at least get them right.
>>If your going to quote prices at least get them right.>>

On average I've bought a new hard drive every two years and, on average, they have cost me around £65 - I paid £66 to dabs.com on July 17th, 2003 for a Western Digital WD600JB (i.e. 60GB).

It replaced a 20GB drive acquired a year previously obtained by a £30 cash plus 6.4GB Fuji HDD swap with a pal; the Fuji had been obtained a year or so earlier at a price of £64 from a local computer outlet. The reason for the swap was because the buyer was a computer newbie and didn't require such a "large" hard drive at the time.

Some other purchases (usually on behalf of my son who's out at work all day and obviously can't be in to collect deliveries at his home) include a 41GB IBM Erricson 7200rpm/2MB cache HDD which cost £104 plus £18.20 VAT on June 19, 2001; a D-Link DSL-504 ADSL router with 4-port 10/100 switch for £156 on March 7th, 2002 and an OEM version of the Pioneer 106 DVD recorder for £109.78 plus VAT on August 15th, 2003.

Just for further interest, I have a September 1995 copy of the Action catalogue; some of the prices are almost unbelievable.

A Toshiba T2100 notebook series cost from £1,535 to £1,969 + VAT (hard drives from 350 to 520MB!); the Toshiba Satellite Pro 400CDT with CD-ROM and 810MB hard drive was £3,149 plus VAT.

In the desktops area, a couple of examples. An IBM Pentium90 with 8MB of RAM and 540MB hard drive was £1,479 plus VAT and a Fujitsu iCL ErgoPro Pentium90 with 16MB of RAM and 540MB hard drive £1,699 plus VAT (monitor and keyboard extra!).

External hard drives cost £349 plus VAT for 420MB and £579 plus VAT for 1200MB; 4MB SIMM memory (matched pairs for Pentium required) £135 each, 8MB £259 each and 32MB £795 each (plus VAT).

If you were really with it, a Panasonic CD rewriter was £509 and individual Maxell CD-Rs £10.45 (Sony £13.90), all plus VAT; CD-RW disks were roughly three times more price wise....

So don't complain about computer systems, components, hardware etc prices today - in real terms they have dropped dramatically whilst specifications and quality have risen dramatically.

Bigger hard drive (PS) - J Bonington Jagworth
"in real terms they have dropped dramatically"

You're not kidding. The original subject of this discussion holds some 5000 times as much data as my first hard drive, bought about 16 years ago for about 4 times the money! Seven or eight years before that, the firm I worked for bought a 30Mb Winchester disc (as they were then called, having originally been the product of the gun maker) for their minicomputer, at a cost of £5000. It came in a separate cabinet, on castors...
Bigger hard drive (PS) - Citroënian {P}
carl_a

I think that's a bit harsh - Stuartli contributes some excellent advice in the backroom, but especially around in CRQs - I've learned a good few things from him, and I've got more qualifications and experience in IT than you can wave a stick at. He gives good advice in good faith.

Now come on, play nice.

SMS.ac Invitations - Adam {P}
Bit of a long shot but I was wondering if anyone had heard of email invitations from SMS.ac.

To explain, I'll get an email with the title Little Red Riding Hood's Invitation (Obviously with normal names though) and the body of the text says:

Did you know that you have 1 friend(s) that invited you to join their mobile friends network.

Friend(s) waiting for you to accept include:
LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD

* Send text messages (SMS) to over 400 wireless networks worldwide.
* Meet new friends by searching over 30 million members on the world's largest mobile network
* Build your own mobile homepage
* Upload, store and share unlimited photos in your Mobile Photo Album
* Join a Club and message people who share the same interests as you
* Get the world in the palm of your hand by subscribing to Mobile Alerts for movies, music, games, sports, news and more

It goes on, with a link whereby I have to register along with my mobile number.

I got a few of these ages ago but I ignored them as I didn't recognise the names. However, a few of the names I recognise and I think the names I never recognised in the first place, I do actually know. I keep getting invitations now every day but it looks a little dodgy to me.

Any thoughts?

--
Adam
SMS.ac Invitations - No FM2R
Yeah, Adriana gets the same and if you could work out how to stop it I would like to know. On some of them it says something along the lines of "text nnnn to stop" or something like that. However, I am wary that that is merely a way of confirming the numbers.
I *think* I've just found a way.

If you click on the link in the email, it takes you to the register screen. If you look at the bottom in the tinest font is "Unsubscribe" which I swear I had never seen before until today! Click that, and it should say,

"YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS has now been blocked from receiving SMS alerts".

I'm glad I've never registered - it's based in America and these are people who I've not spoken to in years.

Hope you get it sorted though - it sounds too easy/good to be true.
--
Adam
SMS.ac Invitations - Dalglish
it's based in America

>.

don't know if this will be of any real help, but maybe worth a read anyway:

www.dma.org.uk/content/Prf-Introduction.asp
"The Email Preference Service is a global service managed by the DMA in the States which allows you to register your email address so as not to receive unsolicited sales and marketing email messages. "

www.icstis.org.uk/icstis2002/default.asp?node=11
"Unsubscribing from services
To unsubscribe from any reverse-billed service you simply need to send the word STOP to the short code number (e.g. send the word STOP to the number 82828). It does not matter if you use capital letters or not. It is important that you only send the word STOP - any other word, phrase or characters may not work.

If sending the word STOP does not work, we want to know about it, together with the other necessary information detailed above. We will then be able to find out why the command has not worked and, if necessary, take action against the company responsible."

I'll try that if this "unsubscribe" thing doesn't work.

Thanks,
--
Adam
Sound Card missing? - Happy Blue!
Come back from holiday and no sound from the computer. Look in Sounds in the Control Panel and it seems to think no sound card is installed? Help!
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Sound Card missing? - Stuartli
Have you checked the card's Properties in Device Manager (I'm presuming it's a sound card rather than onboard sound)?
Sound Card missing? - Happy Blue!
Thanks Stuart.

Installed updated driver off t'internet and all fine now.

All I want to do now is get the little digital camera for £9.99 working in sync.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Backing up my hard drive - dieselicious
What's the best way to back up my hard drive - i just want to ensure that the digital photos and a few work files are stored elsewhere safely.

Any ideas gratefully received......
Backing up my hard drive - Stuartli
I have both a separate partition on my hard drive (done with Ghost) and also back up important files regularly to multisession CD-Rs (two copies each time); don't use CD-RWs as their reflectivity level is very much lower than that of a CD-R and cannot always be read on other drives.

Backing up my hard drive - No FM2R
Do multi-session CD writers actually write the files to the disc at the time, or do they merely add a flag which will be completed when you complete the CD ?
Backing up my hard drive - Stuartli
>>Do multi-session CD writers actually write the files to the disc at the time>>

The multisession mode is available in Nero (and I presume in other similar burning programs); you keep adding files to the disk until it is full and then Finalise it just before the last files addition. You can use the disk in the normal way until it is full.

Each multisession is done via a Nero created Folder. You just drag and drop whatever files are important into the Folder and then burn to disk each time. It is important to remember to Save each new multisession file additions otherwise the Folder and disk are messed up...:-)

I'm talking about My Documents and similar files in this case - anything else is updated to the partitition every so often.

If the worst came to the worst I've still got all my documents etc which are the most important items to me - the rest can either be reinstalled or taken from the partition.

I also have an ever growing set of multisession created CD-Rs holding a wide range of programs, applications and utilities which can be used to install them on other systems as necessary or update firewalls, AV programs etc.

These are merely tagged Various and then each is numbered in sequence i.e. Various One, Various Two and so on. These titles are, obviously, used as each appropriate multisession folder's name.

Sounds complicated but, in actual fact, it only takes two or three minutes overall to add say an 8MB file to a disk.

People think broadband is quick but a rewriter even at a modest speed of, for instance, 16x write is even quicker...:-)
Not really a question........ - No FM2R
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Just before you send an e-mail, especially from a work/office account, consider whether or not you are happy for it to be printed, your name written across it, and it then pinned to a public noticeboard.

If you're not, then don't send it.

Ditto your internet logs. If you're not happy for the fact that you visited a website to be known, then don't visit it.
And don't think they can not be monitored, that they are not monitored and that they cannot be recovered.

Don't think that deleting an e-mail actually means its deleted.

These things so easily turn up where you least expect them and that can so easily end your career.

I'll never cease to be amazed at the stupidity of people with computers, or the nature of some of the things they share, browse or store.

And just so's you know - there is no crime in receiving material that you did not request, whatever its type. Its what you do with it after you've received it that matters.

A general guide would be...

Not reporting it - a little bad
Not deleting it - bad
Re-filing it - very bad
forwarding it - really very bad
Not really a question........ - Citroënian {P}
Interesting posting - what's prompted that?

It's good advice though - it amazes me what people try and do with their computers at work, and the excuses they come up with when they're (invariably) caught in the act.

Not really a question........ - J Bonington Jagworth
"the excuses they come up"

Have you got some to entertain us? It is Friday... :-)
Not really a question........ - J Bonington Jagworth
"...come up with" Damn!
Not really a question........ - No FM2R
>>"the excuses they come up"

By far and away the most common are those of ignorance.

i.e. "I didn't realise it would be against company rules to....."

where frequently it is against the rules of humanity, never mind internal procedures.

But every now and again you get a decent bloke who ruins his life for doing no more or less than 1,000 others, except he did it with a work computer or in the company environment, or publicly. And where it is a family man who manages to lose his job, wife, kids, car, house etc. etc. through a moment's stupidity its sad.

So, hence my note :- think before you e-mail, visit, write, share.
FM2r wrote
>>But every now and again you get a decent bloke who ruins his life for doing no more or less than 1,000 others, except he did it with a work computer or in the company environment, or publicly. And where it is a family man who manages to lose his job, wife, kids, car, house etc. etc. through a moment's stupidity its sad.

Yep, I know that one of the first things some HR depts do when looking to put pressure on someone is to dig through the logs for something to kick them with (hasten to add, not at my current place)
"I didn't expect (red hot fluffy dice) to be that kind of site."
Doesn't explain why they've spent two hours a day there the past three weeks

Not really a question........ - smokie
That's coincidentally timely. The forum which I moderate has, amongst others, a serving police officer. The guy is a great laugh but doesn't say much about his work. He only posts on two forums.

Someone has reported him to the authorities for the tone of one of his posts (at the moment we don't know which) and he is now "under investigation". Presumably whatever he wrote was considered by the complainant as inconsistent with what an officer should say.

So you can never be too sure who is watching.
Not really a question........ - Adam {P}
Very true. As if you could trace what I say on here. I mean, it's not like you know..my...real...na..

oops.

::runs off
--
Adam