Golf iv gti 1.8T ASR / traction control - perleman
Hi all,

My Golf has ASR, not ESP. It kicks in fine when the wheels are about to spin in the wet on straight roads etc - but if I throw it into a roundabout a little too fast, and the back starts to go, ASR does absolutely nothing at all, it doesn't even come on - is this normal? Is it the later ESP that would help the car out in a skid or do I need to take yet another trip to the dreaded VW dealership?

GOlf iv gti 1.8T ASR / traction controll - stan_deezy
ASR is just Automatic Skid Reduction which (IIRC) is triggered through the ABS and only on the front, driven wheels. It isn't ESP. Same system fitted to my Octavia. Works great in a straight line but won't do an awful lot when cornering. Sounds perfectly normal to me.
GOlf iv gti 1.8T ASR / traction controll - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My Passat 2002 model year, has ESP, DSC etc.Meant to work on all wheels.
Still apparently does little even when provoked on a wet roundabout or a snowy car park.Not brave enough to switch off the system and try again!
A little light has flashed momentarily,typically when hitting a puddle, presumably when a skid has started.
On the one occasion when I used the traction control for a lengthy period climbing up a long snowy hill from Bakewell, it cut out- presumably to avoid overheating the brakes.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
GOlf iv gti 1.8T ASR / traction controll - S.A.K.R
MY tt has esp. It seemed to work on all wheels perhaps because it was quattro.
Brilliant system, stopped me from going into a hedge on entering a corner rather too quickly.
I understand on a track it is a nightmare.