2.0 litre petrol Zetec engine - which oil ? - Billsboy
We have just acquired a Ford with 2.0lt Zetec engine. It was bought privately and as the oil level was slightly low, I topped it up with Ford Spec. E oil 5W/30 as recommended by Ford.
The service history has now been sent on and although the first two services were at Ford Dealers, the latest was at a garage who used Magnatec.
I feel I should now drain and refill, but with what?
My inclination is to use the Ford oil as I seem to remember reference on this site to valves sticking if any other oil is used.
If I do this should it be flushed in any way after draining the mixed Magnatec and Ford oil currently in the sump?
Any advice would be welcome

Thanks.

Edited by Pugugly on 25/01/2009 at 21:16

Zetec Oil - J1mbo
Its the grade which is important rather than the brand. Rapid Fit use Magnatec.
Zetec Oil - Billsboy
Thanks for the advice, I'll look out for the Texaco equivalent, probably cheaper.
My main concern was that I thought Magnatec was synthetic or semi synthetic, and would there be any ill effects having topped up with a standard oil.
BB
Zetec Oil - Stuartli
My son buys his 5w-30w semi-synthetic for his Zetec engine from a local motor factor (Unipart) for just over £13 for five litres.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Zetec Oil - Chas{P}
HJ is indeed correct about Texaco producing Ford's own Formula E oil.

When I was mystery shopping Ford service departments, on behalf of Ford, all over the country a few years ago most service advisors were totally clueless about what the correct oil was to use. This was despite the fact that 5W 30 oil has been mandatory to use for most Ford cars built from 8/98 onwards.
Zetec Oil - madf
Magnatec is a straight mineral oil...

madf

Zetec Oil - Dalglish

>>

madf - you made this same statement here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=32348&...e

but it would be interesting to know whether you are prepared to defend this statement in court.

why ? because according to castrol, it is definitely not "straight" mineral oil. they claim that the various grades of castrol
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=32348&...e
all contain a "a unique synthetic ester".
so is that straight mineral oil?

Zetec Oil - J1mbo
Nope, its a semi.
Zetec Oil - Dynamic Dave

Try emailing Castrol and ask them, like I did, and see what answer you get.
Zetec Oil - Quinny100
5L of Ford's own oil is only £14 inc VAT from the local dealer.
Zetec Oil - Ian D
I believe Magnatec is semi-synthetic, and available as 5W30 as well as 10w40...
Zetec Oil - Stuartli
Castrol's website contains no specifications information (as far as I can ascertain) about its products, so this may help:

www.honest-johns.co.uk/acatalog/HONEST_JOHNS_CASTR...l

The name is a coincidence (I presume)..:-)
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Zetec Oil - L'escargot
www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?catego...0 should tell you all you need to know about 5W-30 Magnatec.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Zetec Oil - Stuartli
Well done L'escargot...:-)

I got to the right website (tinyurl.com/8otxb ) but missed the Worldwide link...:-(
What's for you won't pass you by
Zetec Oil - madf
From someone more expert than I:
tinyurl.com/9bzdp

"nubbin said:What's the deal with Castrol Magnatec? Is it good, bad, indifferent, clever, or a bit of a con? How does it work? (Or, does it work? )

Its no great deal.

The Magnatec is a hydrocracked mineral oil with some ester added to make it polar, it is then very cleverly marketed.

For ester to be affective in an oil you will need 20%+ content, the Magnatec contains only a few.

You can buy better for less.

madf

Zetec Oil - L'escargot
The Castrol website says that Magnatec SAE 5W-30 complies with ACEA A1/B1 API SL/CF ILSAC GF-3 and meets the requirement of Ford WSS-M2C913-B.

My Focus Owner's Guide states in the engine oil change section that "Alternative engine oils with the viscosity SAE 5W-30 meeting the requirements of Ford Specification WSS-M2C913-B may also be used."

I've no doubt that there are better oils than Magnatec but it certainly seems to have Ford's blessing for us in the Focus.
--
Zetec Oil - L'escargot
>>..Ford's blessing for us in the Focus.

I meant to say "use", but for us Focus owners "us" is just as appropriate!

--
Zetec Oil - madf
A variety of semi synthetic oils meet the Ford specs?: and are MUCH cheaper than Magnatec.
As a Scot I will not pay top price for a technically inferior product.

madf

Zetec Oil - L'escargot
A variety of semi synthetic oils meet the Ford specs?: and
are MUCH cheaper than Magnatec.
As a Scot I will not pay top price for a
technically inferior product.

Chacun a son gout, or as you Brits say "Whatever lights your candle"!
--
Zetec Oil - Dalglish
A variety of semi synthetic oils meet the Ford specs?: and
are MUCH cheaper than Magnatec

>>

madf - there are different grades of magnatec. as i see it, your statement that magnatec is "straight" mineral oil has still not been justified.
the "expert" you linked to writes as opieoilman and sells oils.

the expert on this (hj's) website posts as "oilman" and has said
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=32348&...f

"Group III
These are derived from petroleum but are the most refined of the mineral oil basestocks. They are not chemically engineered like synthetics but offer the highest level of performance of all the petroleum basestocks. They are also known as ?hydrocracked? or ?molecularly modified? basestocks.
They are usually labelled/marketed as synthetic or semi-synthetic oils and make up a very high percentage of the oils retailed today."

"A group III oil is fine for normal road cars in normal situations.
I always advocate the use of proper synthetics for performance cars, modded cars, cars used on track or cars on variable service schedules."

"I believe that the 5w-30 may well be a semi in the sense that it contains some group III basestocks. This is logical from a spec point of view as a pure mineral oil would struggle to meet the 5w cold crank requirement of -30degC without turning to candle wax!
I have only seen chemical analysis on 10w-40.
I would also guess that the 5w-30 carries Ford specs and is aimed primarily at the Zetec engine where 5w-30 is specified.
Cheers
Simon"

i wonder if opieoilman and hj's oilman are one and the same.

madf - please tell us what oil it is that you say is cheaper and better, and where to buy it.

Zetec Oil - Dalglish
p.s.
madf - by the way, your expert opieoilman's website
www.opieoils.co.uk/lubricants.htm
has information about old castrol products but not about the current magnatec nor slx-longlife-2 products.

Zetec Oil - ford-fiesta
Hello there, i am currently using the 5w/30 for my zetec engine. I am quite confused when i read this discussion. Is this oil good for my engine?if not which one do you suggest to use??thank you
Zetec Oil - Blue {P}
Im not surprised that you're confused reading all that lot!

To put it simply, any 5W30 semi synthetic oil available on the market today will be fine in any modern Ford engine.

Zetec Oil - Pugugly
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=33...1

Have a look here !