Worlds Greatest Motorbike? - helicopter
Anybody see this programme last night on Channel 5? Anything to get away from Wimbledon.

I liked the idea of fitting a Bell Ranger helicopter engine into a motorbike frame.I forget what they called it but it's apparently capable of 250 mph and they raced it against a jet fighter over a set course and won.

The story that the owner Jay Leno , the American chatshow host told of the curious biker coming up close behind him at the light to have a good look and having his front mudguard melted amused me ...

Then there was the Brough Superior rider who took his hands off the bars at 90 mph to demonstrate the stability of the machine.

Anyway the winner was the Honda 50 cc Cub , relegated the Harley Knucklehead into 10th place....

Sits back and awaits explosion from our far east correspondent...
Worlds Greatest Motorbike? - SjB {P}
The world's greatest motorbike is anything that Rossi rides!

BTW - Agree about Wimbledon clogging up the airwaves; almost as tedious as football, but I suppose at least it only lasts for a few days each year! ;-))
Of course I do force myself to watch Maria Sharapova when she plays but it was Lindsey Davenport last night..Not quite the same somehow.

Anyway I have to agree that Rossi is the greatest and Moto GP is far more interesting than F1.

Worlds Greatest Motorbike? - AR-CoolC
Yeh I watched it H, although I know little about bikes. IIRC Jay Leno was talking about a car behind that had it's front bumper melted by the jet bike.

And who was the bloke who built his own superbike in the garden shed, what a guy.

After it finished I flicked over to Discovery for an hour of American Chopper, and then an hour of Southern Chopper. Monday night's are great, the wife works and I get to watch geek stuff instead of soaps.
What a brilliant mind the guy had to absolutely redesign every part of the motorcycle.

He took on the might of the factory teams and won. Shame he died so young.

Worlds Greatest Motorbike? - trancer
That would be the Britten, built by the one and only John Britten. Apparently he died of lung cancer and its been said that he contracted that from working with carbon fibre and various compounds while building the bikes. If its true, then you could say that he died building his dream.
Worlds Greatest Motorbike? - trancer
The jet turbine engined bike is called the MTT (Marine Turbine Technologies) Y2K bike. It got the Y2K name because it was released in 2000. They had it on display at Daytona Bike Week a few years ago and it was amazing to hear it start up and build "boost".

It will run on jet fuel, kerosine, diesel, bio-diesel, cooking oil and probably a few other combustibles.
Worlds Greatest Motorbike? - THe Growler
Definition of "greatest" needed. Anyway my $0.02.......and something I always wanted.

BSA DBD34 Gold Star c.1961. Beautiful because it boasts nothing which is not essential to (very fast) locomotion, came out of the crate with close ratio gears ready to race and had looks to die for. Held the road like the proverbial to a blanket.

The Goldie defined the concept of motorcycle beautifully.

Alas let down by the garbage Brit poor quality engineering of the era (Lucas magnetos - say no more etc), but an icon nonetheless.

Worlds Greatest Motorbike? - Phil I
Just finished watching this programme, was out yesterday evening so recorded on VHS. Thought it was a v.good programme. Learnt something new (had never heard of Moto-Guzzi V8). If you want to see it Big G. give me an email and I'll post it on. About 20mins running time with adverts zipped away.

Happy Motoring Phil I
Worlds Greatest Motorbike? - Perturbed
Despite owning a few Jap bikes in the late 70's I always fancied a Triumph Trident, even though it didn't have the reliability. It was a great looking bike at the time and went well compared to the Bonneville
Worlds Greatest Motorbike? - cheddar
Agree re Goldstat even though it would stuggle to keep up with an '80s 250. Also I agree re Trident, additions to my list:

'72 CB750
'73 Z1
'74 750SS
'78 XT500
'79 RD250/400
'84 GPz900
'88 OW01
'91 FZR1000
'95 916
'96 ZX7RR
'99 R7
'04 R1
'05 F4 1000
Worlds Greatest Motorbike? - cheddar
Of course I meant Goldstar, also just noticed not to many trad/tourers in my list, perhaps the VFR is worthy of inclusion also the '80 Yamaha XJ 650 was superb in it's day, the first bike under 750cc to do a genuine 140mph and it was a shaft driven 650!
Worlds Greatest Motorbike? - Robin Reliant
Phil I mentions the Guzzi V8. I had heard of it, but last night was the first time I ever saw one. What an awesome machine, 190mph in 1955 was an incredable achievement.

It would be great to see Honda or someone build one today. With modern engineering standards it would work, unlike the original which suffered from materials and engineering which were not up to the job.

I was certain that the Fireblade would take the number one slot as it was basically about mould breaking machines, but with hindsight the Honda Cub was the obvious choice. It is the worlds best selling powered vehicle of all time, with 40 million satisfied owners.

Next weeks programme is about cars, any guesses for what will take the number 1 slot? I reckon the Model T.
Worlds Greatest Motorbike? - blue_haddock
Next weeks programme is about cars, any guesses for what will
take the number 1 slot? I reckon the Model T.

>>

Based on the way they came to decide on the cub it will probably be either the VW Beetle, the orignal mini or the Toyota Corolla.
Worlds Greatest Motorbike? - martint123
Any mention of a repeat??
I was offered a mint Goldie in 1971 for £50 and had a very enjoyable trial ride. It was a 10 year old bike even then and I just could not afford it at the time....

I wish I could get one for £50 today.
Worlds Greatest Motorbike? - THe Growler
We might consider the Scott Squirrel parallel twin watercooled two strokes, of course.

But this all subjective.

How about a thread on the World's Worst Motorbike?

I respectfully posit the rickety Ariel Bleeder (sorry, Leader) whose serried ranks used to be waiting outside our workshop while we awaited parts for their wretched Wipac ignition systems.