VW Bora steering wheel shakes violently. - ColmD
Hi,

I have a 2000 VW Bora 1.4 petrol. I'm experiencing a very strange vibration in the steering wheel. It happens when the engine is idling in traffic. The car needs to be well warmed up. For about 10-15 seconds the steering wheel will shake violently. Nothing I do will stop it once it starts. I can rev the engine, which sounds fine, or pump the clutch. It doesn't matter if I'm in or out of gear or on the hand or foot brakes.

Someone suggested the power steering fluid but there's plenty of it there. The only other opinion I've heard was there's something wrong with the timing belt but I'd always heard that by the time you think anything is wrong with it your engine is already an expensive door stop.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Colm.
VW Bora steering wheel shakes violently. - Civic8
Dont know the Bora.So may be wrong. But may be the pump.or drive belt loose.Just a thought?
--
Steve
VW Bora steering wheel shakes violently. - Peter D
Check you fluid leaks on the power steering pump that may be contaminating the belt, check belt condition and tension. If all else fails get the engine hot and then remove the pump belt and let it idle if no problem then the pump may be to blame. Regards

Peter