Audi A4 - norwittyoramusingname
I've been offered a 1996 audi A4 (1.6 poverty spec model) for about £2.2K. (About right according to the book). However I have a few concerns with it. According to the clock it's done 85K and the history says 65K up to two years ago (Believable).

However, the gear stick gaiter looks worn, the lacquer has started to peel off the drivers door handle and the steering wheel looks a little worn in places. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these cars and if that was typical for that kind of mileage and age. My Vauxhall Corsa has similar wear on it (the steering wheel is much worse) but

A) Its a Vauxhall corsa
B) Its done 111K miles.

Audi A4 - Avant
It should be "nor amusing"....!

I'd say the wear and tear are normal for age and mileage but there are more important things to look for, which you'll find out only by a test drive. Things like suspicious noises from the engine, feel of the gearchange, ride and handling etc. Also a full service history is vital. Someone much more expert than I am will be along in a moment, I'm sure, to give you more specific advice.

The 1.6 engine is underpowered in the solid A4 - better to look for a 1.8 or perhaps a VW Golf or Passat which would be cheaper, as indeed would a Mondeo or Vectra - it depends how important image is to you.

Good luck - personally I'd look elsewhere, but one point in its favour would be if you know who'd owned it and how it's been driven.
Audi A4 - MichaelR
You could buy a 1999 2.0 Mondeo or 406 with that mileage which will be newer, faster, nicer to drive than a 1.6, and have air conditioning, etc etc.
Audi A4 - Round The Bend
"However, the gear stick gaiter looks worn"

Don't worry about this aspect, I just handed back my VW TDi (same stable as the A4) and after 3 years/39k the gaiter was very very worn.
Audi A4 - Buster Cambelt
The first model A4 was pretty bomb proof and a good car. But the low spec ones are not that nice as they lack climate and the like. To be honest a 1.8 with SE spec would be a better bet I think.
Audi A4 - Happy Blue!
Nine years old and £2.2k?

far better with a newer Mondeo for similar money.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Audi A4 - norwittyoramusingname
I had been looking at Mondeo's/406/Omega's as they seem to be fairly plentiful at this kind of price, however there appears to be mixed feelings on their reliability.

Looking at the above posts, I take it the general feeling is that 1998-9 ish "rep transport" should still be sound cars.
Audi A4 - NARU
Looking at the above posts, I take it the general feeling
is that 1998-9 ish "rep transport" should still be sound cars.

Yes, especially if you buy it direct off the fleet.

You could go to someone like Joe Dowd www.auctioncarbuyer.co.uk/Freelance-Car-Buyer-Cont...m and get him to buy you a good 'un from one of the fleet auctions. He'll get trade commission rates so it won't cost a huge amount extra over you buying one yourself but lots of peace of mind.
Audi A4 - madf
has it had the front wishbones replaced? If not £250 each.
Cambelt changed? £250
New disks and pads £350+.

If none of the above expect to do them.
Has it A/C? If so does it work?

Frankly at this age and price you will be looking at £1k plus bills at 80k miles.

It may be an Audi but it's NOT unburstable, several well known faults and VERY expensive spares and servicing.

madf

Audi A4 - Aprilia
An old 1.6 A4 is likely to be a bit of a dog to be honest.

If you want realiable transport how about a '99/00 Toyota Avensis or Nissan Primera. Many about that have been privately owned and properly serviced.