Astra 1.6 estate - Cambelt? WOMAN WARNIN - MrsH
Hey there, I bought a second hand Astra 1.6 estate Vreg last October - its an Automatic and I love the car.

Yet this morning there was a noise from under the bonnett, like a whirling noise when I accelerated off. Although it did sound different when stationery too.

I peaked under the bonnet having absolutely NO CLUE what i was looking at and at a guess the noise seemed to be coming from this belt that was going round. Is this is cambelt?

I know on Astras they suggest you have them replaced every 40000 miles my milage is currently about 36000.

Does this sound like it could be the problem? if it is I hear it is very bad to leave it as if it breaks then valves can buckle etc.... But is it ok to drive around for a few days?

HELP IM A WOMAN any advice would be good.

Thanks
Astra 1.6 estate - Cambelt? WOMAN WARNIN - Blue {P}
Don't panic! :-)

The cambelt is inside the engine and you can't see it, this sounds more like the fan belt or alternator drive belt to be a bit more precise.

It should be relatively cheapt to have replaced, especially compared to a cambelt which would break the engine if it broke.

I would hang on a while longer until someone more mechanically minded than me can give you an idea of cost though...

Blue
Astra 1.6 estate - Cambelt? WOMAN WARNIN - MrsH
Oh wow thats so good, so hopefully it should be ok to drive to my dads who will know what he is looking at tomorrow.... i will avoid the motorway though....

Your message was really helpful and stopped me 'panicking'
THANKS
Astra 1.6 estate - Cambelt? WOMAN WARNIN - Altea Ego
The belt you can see going round is not the cam belt. The cam belt is under a cover. Its probably the alternator belt you can see spinning.

1/ If a cam belt breaks it will damage the engine badly. They are changed by mileage or time. Your time is up. get it changed fairlyy soon

2/ The noise could be anything. get it checked out. Probably the alternator belt or bits to do with it, Not fatal but will cause oyu a breakdown if it goes.