Removal fo Front Wing Merc E class - Motormark
Morning all, hope you had a pleasant weekend
Washing my '98 E Class Estate last night and horror of horrors the offside front wing wheel arch is nearly rusted through.
Can you advsie if it is a bolt on/off item and can I do it myself. I would of course have to get it sprayed professionally.

Thanks in advance
Removal fo Front Wing Merc E class - Aprilia
Arghh,,, not another one rotting out! The W210 is turning out to be a real rot-box!

You *can* get the wings off these yourself, but to be honest a new one would be awkward to fit and getting it to line up is not easy for the inexperienced. Given that you need to have it professionally painted anyway, the extra money to remove-refit is not that much. I would get it all done professionally, assuming you want it to look 'spot on' afterwards.
Thanks Aprillia, thats what I was afraid of.
Ive got the dreaded rear hatch rot to but its not noticable. Any idea how much im looking at?
You mean for the wing? If you intend to use a genuine MB panel (advisable) then I guess you're looking at around £500 for the job, depending on where you live and the particular labour rate charged.
Removal fo Front Wing Merc E class - joshL
I thought mercedes had a 30 year perforation warranty? I guess this only applies if you have had the car serviced at MB dealers!!
Removal fo Front Wing Merc E class - Roger Jones
Motormark

Have you talked to an MB dealer about it? Whether or not you acquired the car from a dealer, there's just a chance that they might be receptive to a call for help. MB have been hit right, left and centre with W210 corrosion (including the car owned by the MB Club chairman) and I cannot recall any reports from within the club of dealers (on behalf of MB) being difficult or denying responsibility. In other words, your problem is fully acknowledged by MB and there are thousands of precedents that make a helpful response from MB more likely than you might imagine. If no luck with a dealer, trying contacting MB HQ in Milton Keynes.

As for the 30-year warranty, I do believe that it was introduced as a damage-limitation gesture when the W210 problem manifested itself. No doubt they were also influenced by the howls of disbelief from the German taxi community.

And it's not just the W210. A couple of weeks ago I posted this on the MB CLub forum: "I've just been chatting to my car valet, here doing the Golf at the moment. He has a client with a 2001 S55, which is corroding at the wheel arches. So it's not just the W210 then, and the MB bodywork problems persist. It really is astonishing for quality standards to lapse this way on a premium marque."
It is possible that MB may rectify the corrosion - however it is very much a case of having the dealer 'on your side' and fighting the battle for you. If you have a good relationship with the dealer then they are more likely to help you.

About 18 months ago I bought/sold a 1998 C-class. A couple of months ago the purchaser came back complaining about bad corrosion on the front lips of the rear wheel arches. It was bad and all the paint was dropping off.

The car had been serviced by MB from new, but because it was a three owner car the services had been done by different dealers. I lobbied the local dealer on behalf of the purchaser, but got nowhere.

I rang MB (UK) and had a 'discussion' with them. The end result was the comment that, 'its an old car, what do you expect'. I told the lady that I had been working on Mercs for 20-30 years and used to regard a 6-7 year old MB as being relatively new. 'Old' ones were 20+ years old. Obviously things have changed a bit.
Thanks for all the responses.
Had thought of approaching MB direct but decided that the likley outcome would be as Aprillia described. I bought from local MB specailaist so car out of dealer network, so didnt expect any help there.
Migh be worth a letter to MB headquaters. Does anybody have an address?
Removal fo Front Wing Merc E class - Altea Ego
Customer service For customer enquiries, please call:00800 1777 7777 or email:CustomerService.uk@cac.daimlerchrysler.com
Removal fo Front Wing Merc E class - madf
I've never seen so many Mercedes of around 5-9 years old with paint peeling/lifting at the seams of the front wings or round the rear wheel arches.
Reminds me of Ford Fiestas of the early 1990s (the Mark 3).
Modern Mark4/5 Fiestas of the same age as those Mercedes are in better condition as are Peugeots, GM cars etc..

I think there is a saying about taking decades to build a good reputation and destroying it in years. Mercedes ae certainly having a good attempt at proving that saying.

madf

Removal fo Front Wing Merc E class - Roger Jones
Dealers and MB HQ: no harm in asking, and indeed laying it on thick. The deterioration is a disgrace. Audi can certainly do better, as I know from the remarkable condition of the paintwork on the one I had from new in 1989 to sale in 1999.

I now own two old MBs. I like them so much that I shall probably run them until either they or I give out. What I've said in the past about not buying a new MB even if I win the Lottery is no longer a joke.
Removal fo Front Wing Merc E class - MW
Good luck. My 13 year old W124 has a few bubbles around the aeriel and nothing else. This problem has had a massive airing on the Mercedes Club forum in the UK and Germany. It scares me crazy that such a brand image, based on real solid values has been thrown away. I think in business there is a saying that a new customer costs 4-5 times as much to acquire as to keep an old one. Mercedes are throwing away long term profit for short term gain.
This strategy is madness because the game has moved on with most manufacturers producing good 10 year+ cars with no rust. When even FIAT can do this, the game has not moved on, but passed you by.
This week its body, next week gearboxes and electrics, and in a month.....
My next car.... sadly a Toyota. Or not sadly, as I will have a car, a life, and some money.
Sadly in the mid-1990's MB were persuaded to adopt 'modern' 'Anglo-Saxon' management techniques. Lots of German managers were sent to do US-style MBA's and 'shareholder value' became more important than producing good cars. Now we see the result.