VTEC engines, does pushing them hurt them? - Alex M
Hi all,

As the owner of a 2001 Honda Accord 2.0i VTEC I was wondering how tough the engines are.

The VTEC is clearly designed for economy above performance (certainly as it's tuned in the Accord), and as a result the power only really kicks in from 4000rpm to 6000rpm, which is higher than you'd ever see in a normal day's driving.

I like to get a shift on, so it's been seeing quite a lot of 4000rpm+ action, is this going to have a serious effect on the engine's longevity or are they designed to be pushed a bit? I'll be getting it serviced, including an oil change with high quality synthetic oil every 6000 miles or so (2000 less than Honda's recommended).

Cheers,

Alex.
Re: VTEC engines, does pushing them hurt them? - T lucas
Ive sold plenty of Prelude 2.2 Vtec and think that the more you rev 'em the better thet are,remember Honda build loads of bikes and they rev so high they make your ears bleed.I think Honda engineering is fabulous,just remember,dont skimp on oil&filter changes.
Re: VTEC engines, does pushing them hurt them? - G
I used to have an Integra which revved to 9,000 so I wouldn't worry.
They love it!
I wouldn't change the oil more than as per service book, that just wasting money - it's got an (excellent) 3 yr warranty after all and they don't break anyway....

Cheers

G
Re: VTEC engines, does pushing them hurt them? - Andy P
Honda engines are recognised as some of the best and most reliable fitted to any cars. My father has had various Hondas for the past seventeen years, and has never has anything go wrong with any of them. Pity I can't say that about my last car (a Cavalier).

Andy
Re: VTEC engines, does pushing them hurt them? - David W
Alex,

Superb engines. Just keep to the schedules and use a decent oil. Then feel free to use it hard.

Having said that I don't like that type of power delivery because it can tempt you to drive like a Max Power reader.

David
Re: VTEC engines, does pushing them hurt them? - Samantha Stylle
I have been driving mine hard and putting it away wet for 3 years without a hint of trouble. Regular maintenance and keep one eye on the rear view mirror ;-)
Re: VTEC engines, does pushing them hurt them? - Charlie Dimmock
How do you tell if a Honda engine is a VTEC? Mine is 13 years old and won't rev above 2000rpm. Still cuts the grass well though.

CD
Re: VTEC engines, does pushing them hurt them? - G
MAtron !!
Re: VTEC engines, does pushing them hurt them? - Mark (Brazil)
Clearly Minnesota has changed somewhat since I was there.
Re: VTEC engines, does pushing them hurt them? - Samantha Stylle
Pardon Mark?

Sam
Re: VTEC engines, does pushing them hurt them? - Mark (Brazil)
Urban Ear is in the Twin Cities, is it not ?
VTEC engines, does pushing them hurt them? - David Lacey
I'm lost...