Postcard from Moscow - SjB {P}
I have been working in Moscow this week, so after jumping through the necessary 99 visa hurdles in advance, wife and I came out a few days early to do a spot of sightseeing as well. Sticking to a motoring theme - I could else be here all day describing the parallel universe that I found ? following are impressions formed over five days.

We were met at Sheremetyevo II airport by the driver my host had booked, his car surprisingly (to me) being a Rover 75. Moscow was the last place I expected to find such a car, but in fact they are reasonably plentiful along with MG ZTs (though not a single Tourer, ZT-T, or other MG Rover product could be seen).

We found the roads to be in a dreadful state, and driving hierarchy to be clearly driven (excuse the pun) by the size of engine, cost of car, and blackness of window tint, in that order. In other words, from extreme arrogance, through mere forcefulness, to meek compliance if your car has none of the aforementioned attributes or is of local construction. Think aggressive boy racer in tarted up and blacked out ten year old Five Series, and you are thinking of a mere beginner at the game. Undertaking, overtaking, weaving from lane to lane, all conducted with binary approach to throttle and brake, and at great speed along what were once impressive (and still are for sheer scale) boulevards. The masses of locally built cars and a reasonably smattering of mass market cars that we would recognize serve merely as mobile chicanes. Our Rover was being driven at up to 70 MPH through the city, undertaking and overtaking in the process, with us in turn being passed either side. Oh yes, along the dueled sections there are U-turners queued up in the outside lane to avoid, too. I have seen more (all of these cars painted black, of course) Porsche Cayenne Turbo 4x4s, current generation 750iL and V8 X5s, A8 W12s, Bentleys, and even Hummers than I have seen in the rest of my life, all adorned with acres of that aforementioned black tinted glass plus huge, usually chrome, wheels and rubber band tyres. Makes Prague and Shanghai (where I had previously seen such cars in their droves) look poor. If Saturday was typical, at night around the Kremlin and city centre, Japanese and Italian sports bikes are brought out to play, most on race exhaust pipes. The riders are usually without helmets or gloves and are stunt monkeys just out to show off. The police? From my own observation they stand and watch. Believe me UK Speeding Do Gooders worried about 32 MPH in a 30 limit or the need for yet another speed bump in your town, you already live in Utopia! Moscow would give you a coronorary!

Anarchy reins, if you have enough money; I saw many "ordinary" motorists ?pulled? for extremely trivial "offences". The police are allowed to supplement their poor income with fines, so it is apparently better just to cough up 150-200 Roubles (less than a Fiver) and be done with it. Oh yes; as an alternative to sports bikes, I've even seen and heard a deafeningly loud subwoofer equipped Honda Goldwing motorbike for the first time, with the 'three piece drum kit' (luggage) on the back converted to powerful speakers and amplifiers.

The Moscow Times yesterday reported Toyota investing US$140 million at a plant to be built near St Petersburg, with Ford already building the Focus, Renault their CEE market bargain basement models, and GM some Chevrolet cheapies in and around St Petersburg and Moscow. A few pages later, the subject turned to whether it will be sustainable growth for all (?An economic miracle? as it was captioned) or Big Time Bust. I look forward to reading the article properly when I have time to do so as my immediate impression is of plundered wealth being carved up between few. I saw hundreds of vans and minibuses that appear (from a quick Google) to be the GAZ Gazelle, a locally built, last-generation Ford Transit with locally sourced engines (from the different note) and a mild front end ?lights and bonnet? job. Otherwise identical to a Tranny, and with every standard Ford variant represented.

Connecting motoring with transport in general, the 'circle line' on the Metro is the line that has the famous stations that once would have looked fabulous; Beautiful marble, ceramic tiles, gold leaf, and crystal chandeliers. Now they are but a dirty, worn out, and shabby image of what they once were. To Moscow's credit though, the Metro is by far the best run I have ever used with trains every 45-60 seconds throughout the day. Cheap, too (about 25p regardless of journey duration), but I guess that's because those with dosh take the Beemer. All the station names (and city street signs) are written in Cyrillic alphabet though, so this is not a western tourist friendly place. To add to complication, station names change according to the line being used, so I would be totally stumped without my Czech, Russian second language, wife!
Postcard from Moscow - Adam {P}
Whether you meant to or not SjB, you made Russia sound like a much better place to drive than over here!

Great story though. Thanks.
--
Adam
Postcard from Moscow - iceburn
My first post. Just to add couple things about Moscow which I notice when I went there with my Russian Wife who was from Moscow. The motorways are huge even in the centre of Moscow. Can be if I remember correctly 6 lanes in size in each direction. Not the 3/2 lanes like in UK. They have two bus system in Moscow. The public one which even have TV on (at least the one we caught near the circus going to her Grandma house. The second is small I think they are like ford Transit vans where you pay a small fee and they take you to places. They follow the same bus route but cause of size they are quicker. (they are like poorman version of taxi.) For the underground they also do not "RUN" down the stairs like they do in UK and like the original poster said they are always one around the corner. You can buy a month pass for £1.5. At the supermarkets they got "HUGE" range of food, much more than my local Tesco store has, and even got huge LCD screens, computers etc (about 4 years ago) which is just coming to UK now. And they even make turtles, birds, Corodolle, etc out of bread which is amazing how they do it. But I have to say like the original poster I was also suprise about the cars as well.

Now for the original poster, there are a chain of resturants in Moscow called Fiki Palki. It is quite expensive compare to local standards but for our standards (about £2) it is dirt cheap. The food is lovely, local russian food in huge buffet style, worth stopping there to have a fuelstop. Also if you get a chance visit the Moscow state cirus (different to the one that come to UK) and the cat threate.
Postcard from Moscow - RichardW
I visited Moscow on a school exchange in February 1992. The driving sounds much the same, except: there weren't that many imported motors, it was necessary to remove your windscreen wipers when parked or someone would nick them and, best of all, it was -20°C or colder most of the time, so the roads were like ice rinks. Didn't seem to slow them down, or make them take more care, though! Not normally a nervous passenger, I was glad to get out of my host's car at their flat in the south of city - a fair drive from the airport!
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Postcard from Moscow - Orson {P}
The thing I noticed when Mrs O and I went to Moscow in February was that there were almost no lane markings of any description at all. There was the central Politburo/Mafia lane, but other than that, it was all a free for all. We were visiting a friend who works out there, and she had a flat on Kutzuovsky prospect (sp?) which, as reported elsewhere, has room for about 9 cars abreast in each direction. having been in the back of a Lada in the snow heading towards an oncoming wall of cars, it's quite "exhilarating!"

It's an incredible place, and absolutely fascinating. My best bit was being inside the Kremlin, and watching all the traffic outside stop, the traffic lights inside the Kremlin go green, and a convoy of large black cars (mostly BMWs, but I think there were a couple of Zils there as well) come shooting past us whilst the Kremlin guards snapped to attention.

O
--
Jaguar XJS V12 - comes with free personalised oil tanker.
Postcard from Moscow - SjB {P}
To add a few comments to iceburn's, opening up from the 'motoring only' theme I started with;

We indeed visited the circus, thanks. We went to the 'old' Bolshoi circus as it came highly recommended, and were not disappointed. One act involving chimps that I found cheap aside, it was a phenominal display of ability, skill, courage, and trust in equal measure. We also went to the Bolshoi Theatre to watch ballet, La Sylphide to be exact. Again, quite fantastic, though hideously expensive; We purchased a couple of the best seats in the house via the hotel concierge, just before the performance. With his cut, and the tout's cut, they cost £166! Worth every penny though, and we are so glad we didn't pass up the opportunity, especially as this is the last season before the theatre closes for several years of refit. No chance of a visit to the Cat Theatre though, as I detest the creatures!

Regarding supermarkets, on the flight home I sat next to a senior project manager with one of the Western European retail chains making huge inroads to the Russian Federation and China. He explained how with no existing infrastructure to have to upgrade, and Capitalist money backing up Communist "If we have to relocate a whole neighbourhood, so be it" approach (no public enquiries), they are implementing new ideas faster than in the rest of Europe. For a brand new superstore, highly equipped and with the huge range of products you mention, they plan on a return on investment within EIGHT MONTHS...!

If I go back to Moscow (50:50), I'll look out Fiki Palki, thanks. The best food I had on my last visit was Ukranian and Georgian.
Postcard from Moscow - mare
my 2p worth

I spent some time in Leningrad / St Petersburg in early 90's. What prompted my post was the Metro system. Fantastic vaulted stations, free of advertising (well they were then). Only snag was that because SP is built on a marsh, the Metro is very deep underground and travelling down to the station could take a few minutes. On more than one escalator, you couldn't see the bottom.

As for cars (motoring), one of my hosts neighbours had imported a late 70's Jag, but to keep an eye on it had arranged various mirrors so he could watch it from his TV chair five floors up.

At that time, it was a seriously surreal place, with the inflation and all.

The language is easy to learn though.