Fast A2B car with good fuel range.Ideas? - livefortheday
I travel to the Welsh borders a lot and fancy the idea of a Focus RS, Subaru Impreza, Lancer Evo type car.

However, I am put off by reports that these type of cars have a limited fuel range.

My round trip is 320 miles approx and having to fill up more than normal is a pain. Ideally, I would like to complete the journey without eaking out the remaining fuel after a good blast!

Any ideas on a good, safe, modern, 4 seater B-road blaster that has a decent range?

Alternatively, can you get long range tanks like people used to do for Rnage Rovers and still do for BMW motorbikes?

Any help as always appreciated. Budget 18K.
Fast A2B car with good fuel range.Ideas? - blue_haddock
I know the Impreza has poor fuel ecomony and the Evo is even worse - i'm fairly certain that you would need to refuel on a 320 mile trip. I would think the Focus RS would be pretty bad on fuel economy too.

How about something like a Seat Leon Cupra or a Skoda octavia VRs? Yesterday i was talking to the owner of a modified Octavia VRs (Air filter, Exhaust and a Remapped ECU) He is now getting better fuel economy than he did on the standard car - He reckoned on about 25mpg on stop start round town and up to 40 on a run. I guess a fast A road run using the power would be somewhere in between the two.
Fast A2B car with good fuel range.Ideas? - local yokel
A4 2.5 TDi Quattro?
Fast A2B car with good fuel range.Ideas? - cheddar
Mondeo 2.0 / 2.2 TDCi, stonking performance (350 / 400nm torque) 550-600 mile range. Great fun cross country.

Also 320d, 330d, 120d.
Mondeo 2.0 / 2.2 TDCi, stonking performance (350 / 400nm torque)
550-600 mile range. Great fun cross country.

Come on the chap is considering Impreza's and Evo's, do you really think a diesel Mondeo is going to tempt him?
Fast A2B car with good fuel range.Ideas? - AK76
I would go BMW 330D Sport. Get it chipped to c.240bhp which would still be well within reliability limits and enjoy the torque. Superb car. Would also be a little more depreciation proof that the others.
Fast A2B car with good fuel range.Ideas? - cheddar
>> Mondeo 2.0 / 2.2 TDCi, stonking performance (350 / 400nm
torque)
>> 550-600 mile range. Great fun cross country.
Come on the chap is considering Impreza's and Evo's, do you
really think a diesel Mondeo is going to tempt him?

Soob's and Evos are clearly out on the mpg front, he should try a TDCi 2.2, have you?

Also it is easy to under estimate a Mondeo, I have driven a lot of different cars though my Mondeo is really impressive cross country, superb handling, brakes, stacks of torque to punch between corners without loads of gear changing, great fun and very rewarding.
I love the Mondeo also. Brilliant handling and good performance.

I think HJ said that something along the lines of it is a £5K car that costs £5K as opposed to BMWs for example that are £5K bumped up through image to £10K.

Sadly, I want something that has a bit more street cred. From a logic point of view though the Mondeo takes some beating.
Fast A2B car with good fuel range.Ideas? - Imagos
I love the Mondeo also. Brilliant handling and good performance.

How about a ST TDCi?
Fast A2B car with good fuel range.Ideas? - Mapmaker
>>Alternatively, can you get long range tanks like people used to do for Rnage Rovers and still do for BMW motorbikes?

Thinking laterally, you could certainly have an LPG system put in as well, which would increase your range. Save the LPG for the boring bits where tip top performance is not of the essence.

Brilliant idea!

Wish I had thought of that, especially as I have a kit I took off a Volvo in the garage (I know it might not work, but its a start).

As the journey is sandwiched by a fairly long M4 run, it should work well.

Thanks also for everyones suggestions re car.
Fast A2B car with good fuel range.Ideas? - Mapmaker
You could fit it to the AM & make it more affordable ;)
Fast A2B car with good fuel range.Ideas? - bradgate
My Impreza Turbo returns 22-27 mpg, depending on weight of foot. This gives a range of 240-300 miles. An STI or Evo would be thirstier.

I also think a 330D would fit your needs perfectly. The facelift cars have 204 bhp, easily modifiable to 240bhp plus. Would like one myself.

How about a Lexus IS200?
Fast A2B car with good fuel range.Ideas? - Mudguts
What about an Aston Martin Vantage?

Seriously, I would get the car you want and then have it fitted with an extra fuel tank. I recently saw a T5 with a huge tank in the back (don't know why). I doubt the cost of the tank would be that much and I'm sure there would be someone who could supply and fit these, possible even supplying a S/H unit, they could also remove the tank when you come to replace the car.

Here is some reading for you on the subject:

www.volvoclub.org.uk/roadtests/bifuel_01on_roadtes...l

www.hero.org.uk/info/appendixa.html
------
If you want to get ahead - get a Van!