VAG PD diesel engine--injector cleaner - 130hp golf
Hi all,

can I use a cleaner such as Millers power plus injector cleaner in my 2002 130hp Pumpe Duse diesel Golf?
I am worried in case it damages anything as these engines are so specific with regard to oil grade due to the v high injection pressure.
There is nothing wrong with the car just that with previous low tech diesels I have owned I have run a tankful of cleaner through every 10k miles or so.

Cheers
VAG PD diesel engine--injector cleaner - JohnM{P}
Power Plus is an everyday fuel treatment, not a periodic injector cleaner.
(see www.millersoils.net/index2.html , Automotive, Fuel Treatments)
A recent post suggested that it should not be used in PD engines, but there is no mention of that in the above link. (I'll be interested to see other posts to this thread)

I've followed the many posts on this forum, plus references in Diesel Car (when run by diesel enthusiasts); it seems that benefits vary car by car. Personally I've never noticed obvious benefits in VAG TDi's, but I'd agree with another recent post that its use, if you use supermarket diesel, is probably a good idea if you intend to keep your car for the duration...

JohnM
VAG PD diesel engine--injector cleaner - DL
Personally, I wouldn't use it.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
VAG PD diesel engine--injector cleaner - Roly93
Personally, I wouldn't use it.

On balance I agree.

On my previous car- Saab 93 2.2Tid it did help with the fuel consumption a bit, but when I was using my remaining supply in my A4 130 BHP I could see no discernable difference. I think Millers is just a mix of light hydrocarbons which help give a more powerful bang when injected, therefore I think the claims that it protects injector pumps etc is overblown.

You can beat just buying quality diesel eg Shell/BP and then giving it a good hard motorway thrash !
VAG PD diesel engine--injector cleaner - Dave N
As others have said, I reckon it just ups the cetane rating a bit and adds a bit of lubricant. Probably just as good with a dose of paraffin and a glob of oil.

I know the petrol fuel system cleaner is simply a mix of xylene and acetone. May as well use the wifes nail varnish remover and a bit of hammerite thinners.
VAG PD diesel engine--injector cleaner - Stuartli
The VW Pumpe-Duse engine is regarded at present as state of the art diesel engineering technology and I wouldn't, in that case, use any form of additional substances unless they are specifically approved.

Some info on the engine (from www.newcarnet.com/NCN_286_roadtestdetail.html although there are many others):

"PD stands for 'Pumpe Duse' and translates as 'unit injector' - a device that supplants the old distribution pump as the source of back-pressure at the injector nozzle. In effect, PD injectors each have their own little cam-operated pump to produce even higher pressure (30,000 psi) than a common rail system, which uses a thin, tubular reservoir to contain pressurised fuel for feeding on demand to each of the injectors in turn.

"The higher the pressure, the more effective and leaner becomes the upper-cylinder burn. Consequently unit injectors (PD) produce more power and torque for a given measure of fuel without cost to fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. As an example, the 130 bhp TDi PD engine in the test car, for the same 1.9 litres as the TDi unit it replaces, generates 13 per cent more power (130 bhp) and nine percent more torque yet returns an identical 52.3 mpg on the combined cycle."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
VAG PD diesel engine--injector cleaner - Rubberdubber
Hi,
I have a Golf 115Pd, 2000 model which actually produced more black smoke than my previous 90BHP Mk3 Tdi, that was until I starte using Millers power plus and it is noticably better. I have been using it now for about 10,000 miles interesting to hear I shouldn't be, I would like to know the reasons.
Rubberdubber
VAG PD diesel engine--injector cleaner - wantone
mk5 gttdi
my owner manual prattles on about when and when not to use petrol treatment but no points for what it says on diesel additives. correct, do not use additive or fuel treatments on diesel engines?
reasons why i havent a clue, im just a boring ole do as it says on the tin sort of person so i dont use them.must say i fill up with ultimate though not supermarket fuel so it shouldnt need a cetane boost, which supermarket fuel is supposed to be lower on!!
VAG PD diesel engine--injector cleaner - 130hp golf
Is branded fuel really much better than supermarket stuff?
I don't have any facts to hand but seem to remember that supermarket fuel comes from the same refinery's as branded fuel.
Do the brands then add their additives before sending it out?
Are they effective at keeping the diesel injection system cleaner?

My nearest station is a Morrisons so I fill there often but want to keep my engine in good condition.
I don't notice any mpg difference between brands, the only differece (2-3mpg)is when they change to a winter blend combined with a slower warmup/lights/hrw etc.

Does anyone out there have information from the fuel industry about this?

cheers.
VAG PD diesel engine--injector cleaner - wantone
only info i know is that ultimate is 5p ltr dearer than normal branded diesel(probably 7,8p dearer than supermarket)so it can make you cough when you fill up!!
VAG PD diesel engine--injector cleaner - OldOiler
Have used Millers Power Plus only for Cetane improvement when using Supermarket fuel - raises Cetane value by about 2.5..
Otherwise I use BP Ultimer.
If you use the car for short trip's then a good run at the weekends would benifit.
(130 sport plus Upsolute chipping)
K2