Oil for pd TDI VWs - Rubberdubber
I have a 115bhp Tdi Vw which is on the 10,000 mile service regime and so uses 505.01 spec oil. What I am wondering is could I use the higher spec 506.01 long life oil which I believe is fully synthetic as opposed to the 505 oil being semi-synthetic. Also where is the best place to buy these oils now?
Thanks
Rubberdubber
Oil FOR pd TDI VWs - Alec
From VW :
Up to MY 01 for TDI PD, ONLY use 505.01.
From MY 02 on use 506.01 for TDI PD.

506.01 cannot be used prior to MY01.

Look for the VW spec on the oil you buy and find the cheapest source. I tend to get mine from German & Swedish but it's probably lazinessconvenience.. :-)

You can get a full list of VW approved oils from the erwin web-site:
erwin.volkswagen.de
You need to create an account first but that's free.

Rgd
Alec
Oil FOR pd TDI VWs - alan kearn
Look up your local stockist on the web site below. Some will stock Millers equivalent of 505.01 and 506.01 .The price at my local stockist for 505.01 is £17.95 for 5 litres at the main VW dealers it is about £8 per litre as you are probably aware.

www.millersoils.net/index2.html
Oil FOR pd TDI VWs - Roly93
Look up your local stockist on the web site below. Some
will stock Millers equivilent of 505.01 and 506.01 .The price at
my local stockist for 505.01 is £17.95 for 5 litres at
the main VW dealers it is about £8 per litre as
you are probably aware.
www.millersoils.net/index2.html

The 506.01 oil is hard to get hold of generally, however I noticed that our local Sainsburys SavaCentre filling station had the Castrol SLX Longlife II in stock at £12.99 per litre.
Oil FOR pd TDI VWs - trancer
"506.01 cannot be used prior to MY01."

How very strange, can't say I have ever heard that one before. As I understood it, variable servicing required 506, while 505 was ok to use for fixed servicing intervals. I wonder what engine changes happened in 2002 that prohibited the use of 505 and what has been added to 506 that makes it prohibited to use in a 2001 engine.

Where is sean to explain to use how these engines have changed (assuming they have) from MY 2001 to MY 2002?.
This VW Maintenance document is a pain to interpret. Let me try again.

To simplify things let's restrict ourselves to PD engines in Passats as per the OP.

MY >99 cannot use 506.01. Only use 505.01
MY >00 can use 505.01 or 506.01 but only has time and distance service intervals.

MY 01> uses 505.01 or 506.01 for time and distance or 506.01 for variable.

There are several paragraphs that do not seem consistant, they change the model years, but that my best shot. ( My excuse and I am sticking to it ;-))
I do understand what you are saying Alec, but what I do not understand is what is in the 506.01 oil that prevents it from being used in a pre-99, and how has the VAG PD engine changed from MY99 to MY01 that somehow makes 506.01 recommended for one engine, but prohibited in another.
Oil FOR pd TDI VWs - alan kearn
The VW group specification oil 505.1 and 506.1 was specially developed for TDI PD engines for the VW group. It has been and should be the only oil used in this type of engine . Use any other type of oil can apparently have serious consequences for your engine.
Oil FOR pd TDI VWs - Stuartli
This VW diesel engine history link could be of interest:

media.vw.com/print_doc.cfm?article_id=9386

These links may be of use:

tinyurl.com/d3k9n

tinyurl.com/dy3zy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
I do understand what you are saying Alec, but what I
do not understand is what is in the 506.01 oil that
prevents it from being used in a pre-99, and how has
the VAG PD engine changed from MY99 to MY01 that somehow
makes 506.01 recommended for one engine, but prohibited in another.

>>
I think the step change was when VW went from TDi to PDi ie when they started using cam-driven unitary injector assemblies. This is when it became critical to use the 506 spec oil for increased lubricity. I dont think its a case of can't use before 99 it more a case of 'theres no point' in using it before MY 99, as if the viscosity of the oil is adequate, having more lubricity shouldn't be a problem.
The VW documentation says specifically that use of 506.01 in pre-MY00 vehicles will cause engine damage !!!
Oil FOR pd TDI VWs - JohnM{P}
"The VW documentation says specifically that use of 506.01 in pre-MY00 vehicles will cause engine damage !!!"
- perhaps they say that as pre-MY00 didn't have the extended service interval monitoring capability? (bar scene: 'It's brill, that long-life 506.01, - put some in my 1999 Golf 50000 miles ago and it still hasn't told me to change it'...)
Excellent way to put it, JohnM, I honestly hadn't thought of that scenario. As with many other things, the oil isn't the problem its the person pouring it in. 8-)
Oil FOR pd TDI VWs - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My local Millers agent charged mr £25 for 5l of the VW505.01 stuff.
Might be that little bit dearer but you do get the chance to drool over (well near to) his immaculate Lister Jaguar racer.
As driven by the late Gerry Marshall.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
"The VW documentation says specifically that use of 506.01 in pre-MY00
vehicles will cause engine damage !!!"
- perhaps they say that as pre-MY00 didn't have the
extended service interval monitoring capability? (bar scene: 'It's brill, that long-life
506.01, - put some in my 1999 Golf 50000 miles ago
and it still hasn't told me to change it'...)

>>
Do you really mean 50,000 miles !!
Oil FOR pd TDI VWs - Ivor E Tower
I have spoken to the Castrol Technical helpline on this one; they developed the long-life oil for VW (506.01 for extended drain intervals), and told me NOT to use it in my TDI PD 115 of mid-2000 manufacture. Apparently manufacturing changes to the engine were made later on; 506.01 is too thin or something - and doesn't provide enough protection in early PD engines. I don't have Castrol's technical number to hand but I am sure it will be on their website - try a quick Google.