Trailer Insurance?? - Hugo {P}
OK now I've sorted the goat issue, without resorting to the sheep someone mentioned here, I have another pressing problem.

I need to find competitive insurance for my trailer.

I'll be fitting at least 2 forms of security to it, probably a hitch lock and a wheel clamp.

It is an electric tipper, with a replacment value of around £2.5k.

The vehicle insurance has 3rd party cover for towing it. I am advised to steer clear of insuring it on the towing vehicle policy, even if they would consider it, as a claim on it would hinder the NCD. Apparently a stand alone policy wouldn't.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to underwriters or brokers?

H
Trailer Insurance?? - SlidingPillar
I belive there is stand-alone trailer insurance, but I never bothered chasing this as mine is covered on the Land Rover policy with NFU. I think it costs me in the region of £40 or £50 extra. Only requirement is a hitchlock although I have other security measures.

A trailer claim on this policy does not affect the vehicle NCB.

One trailer security measure I will pass on, is with a small drill, I drilled holes to spell my postcode, and put this next to the trailer plate. If I move, I don't mind explaining it, but it does make the thing less attactive to a thief.
Thanks

Do NFU do the stand alone trailer insurance, or is that another company?

H
Further to this post I have delved a little deeper. I haven't yet contacted NFU, as per SPs suggestion but.....

I contacted 2 brokers today. One quoted £215 for the year, which seems disporportionate for the risk involved (well I think so) The trailer is £2500 worth.

The broker I get my Public Liability insurance through said they were getting minimum quotes of £500!

I'll be on the phone to NFU tomorrow, but in case this bears no fruit, does anyone else have any suggestions??

H
Trailer Insurance?? - martint123
Round here trailers, horse boxes and quads get nicked considerably more often than cars - maybe the premium reflects this?
Trailer Insurance?? - local yokel
Agree, trailers have a habit of going missing. Friend of ours lost a horse trailer - which had the post code painted on the roof (why not paint yr post code on the underside of yr tipper?) - was spotted from a nearby M way bridge in a traveller camp. Police refused to go in to recover it, said claim on yr. insurance!

Another tip - get an axle stand, and remove two wheels from one side if parked for any length of time.
Trailer Insurance?? - Cliff Pope
Another tip - get an axle stand, and remove two wheels
from one side if parked for any length of time.

One is supposed to do this anyway, for all wheels, to stop the tyres developing flat spots. Who bothers, though?
Trailer Insurance?? - RichardW
I know it's heresy on here, but you could try the caravan insurers. I know, however, that my Dad pays more in insurance for his 'van than both of the cars put together.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Thanks for all the replies,

I phone NFU today but their computers were down, so I am expecting a call tomorrow.

It seems they will do the separate cover though.

H