citroen ax washer problem - cmm
Hi All,

My windscreen washer is not working properly: I have to press and hold the washer stalk for the tiniest amount of water to come out - and there is no power behind it, so the only way I can get the water up the screen to wash it is if I head down the motorway at 50-60 mph! No water comes down the back screen either.

I have checked the fuses and they don't look like they've blown, and put a needle into the jet nozzles to check that they aren't blocked. There is a faint sound like an electrical noise when I press the washer stalk.

Can you advise on what may be wrong, please?

Thanks in Advance,
CMM
citroen ax washer problem - Peter D
I suggest you check the connector on the washer pump motor, these often corrode and the pump just does not spin up. clease lube and replace. Regards Peter
citroen ax washer problem - mjm
It sounds as if the system is clogged up with old screen wash/general muck. It may pay to empty the bottle completely(remove it?) fill with plain water, remove the outlet pipe from the pump and run it until the pump clears itself. Then reconnect the pipe and pump the water through the front and rear pipes with the jets disconnected to clear them. Then reconnect the jets and add some screen wash to the bottle.
citroen ax washer problem - cmm
Hi

Thanks very much for the hints, will try clearing it out before going to the mechanic,

Thanks
CMM
citroen ax washer problem - mjm
One thing I forgot, there is usually a non-return valve in the pipe close to the jets. It looks like a plastic "lump". these clog up as well. When they do I either replace them with a joining piece or prise the body apart(if possible) and throw away the spring and rubber washer inside. The fluid then drains back into the bottle but with a clean system it only takes a second or so to pump up again.