Windows XP Home- all USB ports have died - Altea Ego
AS

Click to

start - control panel - system - hardware - device manager

look down the list for:
universal serial bus connectors, clcik on the + sign and tell us what you have.

Windows XP Home- all USB ports have died - Armitage Shanks {p}
I ave

4 x Intel Universal Host Controllers
1 x Intel Enhanced Host Controllers
5 x USB root hubs

In each case a right click and check of "Properties" says that the device is working correctly. The hepline got me to remove the 5 roots hubs and re-boot where upon they were recognised and the drivers were reinstalled.

On "My Computer" I am also missing drives E to I inclusive which are for a built in memory/camera card reader. This is just a conincidence I think. Thank you
Do you get the windows "bing bong" when USB devices are plugged in or the "Bing Bonk" when unplugged.

I assume that when you have USB devices plugged in they do not appear under the usb root hubs in device mangler?

Also your missing drives ARE related. These multicard readers are in fact USB devices and it will be plugged internally to USB Header pins on the motherboard.

What make is?

It does sound to me, if you want to pursue this under warranty, that you will have to do a recovery disk before they will pursue further. Its a kind of manadatory step.
If I knew what I was doing, I would open the case. Locate the usb cable from the multifunction card reader where it plugs onto the motherboard USB header pins, (noting which way round it went) remove it from the header pins and se if that cures it.

The card reader may be bringing the usb signals down.
Thanks for the comments RF. My PDA used to "bing Bong" when it was connected; I have never heard the noise at any other time as, basically all USB stuff lives plugged in all the time and I am fairly deaf. I am trying to force the stampers down of prices to give me a home call and, in the meantime, I think I shall either take it their nearest shop and get them to fix it there and/or get an opinion (for a fee) from a computer consultant who lives locally. My local computer shop, with whom I have a good relationship, said either try a new USB card (cheap option but I can't fit it) or they would look at it, for a fee of course. As I paid a staggering sum of money for a 5 year support package I really want the stampers to take it on, but I don't want to go down the clean reinstall route if I can avoid it although I hear what you say about this being their first option! It seems to me more like a hardware problem, bearing in mind that taking it back well into the time bracket where it was working properly, didn't fix it.
Just out of interest, do you have a memory card plugged into the memory card reader?
RF - no, no photocard in any slot. I visited my friendly local computer shop and, as I have got another computer which works slowly, gets me on line and prints stuff, I am going to give the playing up one to them to analyse while I am on a 10 day break in hot and sunny Tuscany. Plenty of pasta and vino collapso! I'll post the results of the investigation when I have them. many thanks for help to date!