Golf MKIII Electrical/Starting Problem. - jonathanw
I'm experiencing a strange electrical problem with my Golf MK3 (1995 Reg) and could do with some pointers...

The car was left unused for a while recently and didn't quite have enough battery to start up. It was just about turning over but wouldn't start. All other electrical features were sluggish but functioning. I took the battery out and recharged it fully.

Now when I reconnect the battery, the car won't turn over at all and the hazard lights come on intermittently, either periodically or when something is activated i.e. electric windows. The battery and starter circuit appear ok, as are all the fuses that I can see. I receive ignition lights as normal. All the electrical features function ok.

It appears that a previous owner installed a (now redundant?) alarm and immobiliser - I found 3 labelled fuses beneath the steering column. Perhaps the immobiliser is still located somewhere and has been affected by removal of the battery? Excuse my ignorance - I've no experience of immobilisers having owned crap cars!

Don't want to take it into a garage, so any help would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Jon.
Anyone there?...
Golf MKIII Electrical/Starting Problem. - Civic8
I could be wrong.But it sounds like the redundant alarm/immobiliser is still in operation though this wont explain why the starter wont work.How long has it been standing?
--
Steve
Golf MKIII Electrical/Starting Problem. - VR6
Check the earth strap on the starter motor. Mine (Mk3 golf) looked ok but on closer inspection was corroded just enough to stop the starter working.
Thanks for the response.

The car was standing for a week or so before I attempted to start it. It tried it's best to start - nothing unusual just not enough battery. Took the battery out and re-charged it and the symptoms started - not turning over and hazard lights coming on internittently.

How can I test to see if an alarm or immoboliser is still fitted?
Could the hazard lights be a sign of any other fault?

Thanks,

Jonathan.
Golf MKIII Electrical/Starting Problem. - Peter D
What is the standing voltage of your battery and what is it when you are trying to crank the engine over. When you say trying to start what do you mean, is it spinning iver and will not fire or is it groaning and really slow. It initally sounds like a faulty connect, earth or dead cell in the battery but you need to give us more information. Have you tried bump starting it ? Regards Peter
Golf MKIII Electrical/Starting Problem. - BB
You say that the problem started when you took the battery out to charge it. I am assuming that it is not turning over, is this correct?

I had a problem with my 95 VR6 a month ago. I got a new linkage for the gearbox, replaced the linkage then tried to start the car. Wouldn't turn over, but just clicked. Required new starter motor.

Does yours turn over or not? Good idea from Peter D to try bump starting it.