Citroen C3 XTR 1.4HDi Engine Problem - Miss P
In April I took delivery of a brand new Citroen C3 XTR 1.4 diesel and almost immediately encountered a problem with it. I live in a valley and the main roads I use involve having to go up and over a couple of steep inclines. Going up these hills it got to the point in forth or fifth gear that the engine started to labour a little (but not to the point where I needed to drop down a gear) and when it did there was a momentary drop in power and the engine warning light and alarm came on. It went back to the dealership four times and each time they claimed they had fixed the problem only for it to reoccur. They took that vehicle back and swopped it for a brand new version of the car. However, this has now developed exactly the same problem and so far it has been back to the dealership twice. Has enyone experienced a similar problem with this diesel engine or any other C3?

Citroen C3 XTR 1.4HDi Engine Problem - Altea Ego
Miss P.

I think you may be treating your engine with a little bit too much care. Does it have a rev counter? When climbing the hills and it starts to labour and the engine warning light comes on, what revs is it doing? Try the hill in a lower gear so the car is not labouring at all.

If all else fails, book the senior mechanic for a trip with you over the hills so he can see it happening.
Citroen C3 XTR 1.4HDi Engine Problem - Miss P
I thought I may have been a bit too reverential with the first car so with the second one I have been climbing the hills in a lower gear with more revs. However the problem has still occured and it has also occured when at higher revs you give it a bit more acceleration to go past slower moving vehicles. It has also happened when my other half was driving it and he is not not backward in coming forward as a driver !! The car has been delivered back today after yet another repair but if it happens again I will take your advice and insist on a senior mechanic coming to try it out over the hills here.