Corsa oil change rattle concerns - sutters
Hi,

I've got a 52 plate Corsa 1.0 12v 3cyl Ecotec.

It was dealer serviced approx 12 months ago at 6000 miles. I've just done an oil, oil filter and air filter change at 15000 miles.

At Halfords the fully synthetic 5/40w oil was on offer and so I bought this as it was an acceptable grade both in the owners handbook and the in-store guide.

After the change however, upon start up the engine has a very metallic rattle for 5 seconds. This was never present before the oil change. If I stop the engine and restart soon there is no rattle. My simplistic view / thought is that all the oil is draining from the camshafts when the engine is standing and needs to wait for the oil pump to pressurise.

Is this oil too thin ?? Or do I have a further problem ?

Please help if at all possible.

Thanks,

Sutters.
Corsa oil change rattle concerns - storme
sounds like this oil is much thinner then it should be,,or than is recommended
--
www.storme.co.uk
Corsa oil change rattle concerns - Number_Cruncher
This is more likely a problem with the oil filter rather than the oil. Did you use a genuine Vauxhall filter?

number_cruncher
Corsa oil change rattle concerns - Rishab C
When you put the filter in, I assume it was not filled with oil, therefore, it takes a couple of seconds for the system to become primed (ie the lines and filter filled). Perfectly normal. The noise you here is just the lash in the hydraulic lifters before it is hydraulically taken up.

The oil is a perfect weight...

vauxhall.co.uk/ownership/servicing/engineOils.jhtml
Corsa oil change rattle concerns - turbo11
Does the rattle happen every time you start up the engine from cold.I would of thought the oil would be ok.Make sure you have the correct filter.Is it genuine vauxhall or halfords own?.Does genuine filter have a non return valve inside?
Corsa oil change rattle concerns - bimmer-driver
These are the catridge type oil filters arent they? Do they have non return valves in them?
Corsa oil change rattle concerns - Number_Cruncher
Corsa-driver - you are right about the filters being cartridge type. I don't know how or where the non return valving works on these engines, I assumed it would be in the filter.

number_cruncher

Yes, the rattle happens every time I start from cold or if the car has stood for 30 - 40 mins.
Yes, its a paper type cartridge, it was not from Vauxhall, but did seem identical to the one I removed, with no visible non-return valve.
Thanks for the continued help !!
Sutters.
Corsa oil change rattle concerns - Peter D
Change the filter for a real one and try that and if not ok change to oil to a 10/40 semi. Regards Peter
Corsa oil change rattle concerns - Dynamic Dave
I *think* the problem is the fully synthetic oil. An unecessary requirement in this engine. As Peter suggests, change to either semi or mineral oil with a 10w/40 spec.

As also pointed out earlier, the noise sounds like it's the hydraulic lifters.
Corsa oil change rattle concerns - carl233
Personally I would not use a mineral oil in this unit as this little engine does work hard and the oil may emulsify under the heat. The semi-synthetic sounds the ideal way forward.

Vauxhall do not recomment a mineral oil.
Are you saying this is an incineratable paper element?
Get a new Vauxhall one, and ensure all o-rings and reals are present and no old ones are left in the filter housing or lid.
These housings are designed to stay filled with oil unless the lef is removed then it drains to the sump.
Good lick
Corsa oil change rattle concerns - Victorbox
We run our Corsa 1.0 litre on Semi Synthetic 10W40 from memory. Vauxhall's own brand semi syth is a good choice or Castrol Magnatec.
as i stated at the start of this thread,,,,it sounds like the oil is wrong,,so find a manual and use the recommended oil,,,and if you are worried about emulsifying oil,,,thats easy,,,just change it more than the recommended intervals,,,it cant harm the engine by changing more,,,only by changing by less than recommended
btw 10w40 sounds good to me for this engine
--
www.storme.co.uk
Corsa oil change rattle concerns - mjm
To be honest, a few seconds rattle after a fairly long stop sounds like a filter draining to me. I always use an oe filter after having a similar problem with aftermarket ones years ago.
Corsa oil change rattle concerns - edlithgow
Personally I would not use a mineral oil in this unit as this little engine does work hard and the oil may emulsify under the heat. The semi-synthetic sounds the ideal way forward.

Emulsify?

Heat does not "emulsify" oil, and if it did it would still need something to emulsify with.

Oil usually emulsifies with water, when the engine doesn't get hot enough to boil the water off (as in short-tripping), and/or when somethings putting more than the usual amount of water in the oil, such as a coolant leak, excessive blowby, or poor crankcase scavenging.

This is the "mayonnaise" sometimes found under the filler cap, and if the above conditions favour it it'll tend to happen with any oil, since its primarily a physical rather than a chemical reaction.

Heat carbonises and oxidises oil, causing varnish and coke/sludge formation. Mineral oil is generally more vulnerable to this so that's probably what you were thinking of.

Not relevant either way to the OP's fix though.

Edited by edlithgow on 25/09/2016 at 17:42

Corsa oil change rattle concerns - John S
Sutters

The oil is fine. Changing to a 10/40 won't help - in fact it could make things worse as it will take longer to circulate from cold. This engine needs at least a semi-syn. and fully syn is fine. I'd get the genuine Vx filter - they are not expensive. I run an Astra on Halfords 5/40 fully syn and have no problems, but always use the genuine filters.

JS
a little can of worms :)

so the thing to do is change the oil to the RECOMMENDED oil,,not what we say but,, what the makers of the car say
AND fit a genuine filter from the makers.......

1 last point,,,with my car,i have a canister filter,,,
i have to prime the filter b4 starting the car...

why not ask vauxhall what to do,,they will tell you the answer..

so both courses of action are correct,,despite our differences :)

neither will harm the car both will help
recommended oil and filter

--
www.storme.co.uk
I already posted Vx's oil page...

vauxhall.co.uk/ownership/servicing/engineOils.jhtml

You may as well get it from them, if you buy four 5l bottles, it's the price of one (well nearly) I think the semi-synth is £21 for 4, fullysynthetic £46 for 4.
Thanks to everyone for their help.
I changed the oil tonight to a semi-synth and fitted a Vauxhall supplied filter.
Once done I left it for 2 hours and restarted - No Rattle - GREAT!!
Thanks again,
Sutters.
well that is REALLY good news,,,nice one

as the BT ad says "its good to talk "

HJ rules........
--
www.storme.co.uk
Corsa oil change rattle concerns - keggy

I had same problem with my 04 Agila with same engine as yours. it was the filter, my local garage used one with non return valve. I changed it for a GM fully open one. problem solved

bob

Corsa oil change rattle concerns - Paulsxf

Daughter has one of these. Seems to be lots of debate about which oil to use but I have found 10w40 to be the best for oil consumption and rattling on startup.

Most of the oil seems to end up on the drive in any case!

regaurding oil pressure problems. Does anyone know what the spring loaded button in the bottom of the oil filter housing does. I'm thinking it's a non return valve. When new filter is inserted it pushes the button down. When the filter is removed the button comes up. Is this to stop the top end from draining.

does anyone know?

Bob

Corsa oil change rattle concerns - mfarrow

If it's the non return valve it wouldn't want to be pushed down when you insert the filter. How do you know that's the behaviour?

The other oil valve, the pressure relief valve, sits in the oil pump housing. So it's not that, although I've seen one stick before and cause the oil light to come on . On inspection the piston had worn itself some grooves.

I don't know what it does. It's there for a reason, the filter sits on it, therefore pushes it down? so I don't know mate.