Pug 106 CV Boot clips - Peter D
Just thought I would do a 10K service on my Daughters car as she was visiting and as I slid under the 98 R 82K miles I see grease all over both hubs, rims and tyre walls. Both outer CV boot clips had fractured and let all the grease out. Main dealer closed so neatly fitted an 8mm cable tie over the cleaned and refitted pug clip. repacked the CV joints and all seems well. The car was MOT'd 2 months ago and all was well then, but both failing so close together. It look's loke salt corrosion at the joint of the aluminium clips. Regards Peter
Pug 106 CV Boot clips - Number_Cruncher
Are the boot clips really aluminium? It doesn't sound like the obvious material choice for that application.

number_cruncher
Pug 106 CV Boot clips - Reggie
When I had to replace a gaiter on the 406, I found that a cable tie just wasn't strong enough and that the boot would come off the bearing carrier.

In the end, I had to fit the proper Pug clip which without the proper special tool was not easy. Since then, all has been well. Possible it was because the gaiter was new and did not have much give that I had so much trouble. I'd keep an eye on it to see if it holds.

Reggie