VW Golf MK3 Auto Transmission - froggy
I have read several manuals and their appears to be no general consensus on how to measure the AFT dipstick level on the 096 transmission box. When cold the level should be at the bottom of the dipstick and when warm between the max/min marks; conversely mine appears to be the complete opposite.

On runs fluid appears to be dispended from the breather holes on the top of the gearbox housing. Since there are no plugs to keep the fluid in. The gear selections appear ok but the leaking fluid gives me cause for concern and I am unable to determine whether I have the correct fluid level.

On the car by car breakdown on this site mention is made of auto problems sometimes associated with the oil control value. I can find no mention of this in any of the manuals neither can I find any diagrams of the auto engine bay the same as mine to verify whether one or other of the breakers should be plugged.

Any advice of what the possible problem and resolution may be and its seriousness would be appreciated.