Diesel estates - peter charnley
I have just got a job with the option of a company car or to take the money and buy my own. I was looking forward to choosing a new or preferably 12 month old diesel estate.

It appears that all the really desirable ones are only available new i.e.Rover Tourer, VW 130 bhp or Audi 130bhp. The Mondeo with similiar spec is not yet available. Any advice on what to go for? Is the Audi A4 really better than the bigger Passat. The Current Mondeo Diesel is rather cheap as an import. I currently run a 96 Xantia and I have become very fond of it but the C5 looks rather plain to me.

I really didn't think choosing would be this difficult

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Peter
Re: Diesel estates - Derek
I'm biased, but I'm very impressed with my Pug 406 HDi 110, which is a company car.
Re: Diesel estates - marko
Why choose diesel ? the extra purchase cost takes an lot of miles to pay back. I do 30k private miles per year but still chose a Mondeo 2.0 petrol as the only diesels I like (VW, Pug, Merc!) were in a different price bracket.
Re: Diesel estates - Andrew Smith
Why choose diesel ?

Because a good modern diesel is nicer to drive than a equivalent petrol (IMO). The fact that it uses less fuel is like having your cake and eating it. (I'm not sure that the current Mondeo diesel would qualify as a good modern one though, Apparently the Tdci will be good when they release it)
Re: Diesel estates - simon
The new Mondeo common rail diesel (130 bhp) is now available, although since its only just come out I doubt you'll get much of a discount on one.
Re: Diesel estates - Derek
The Pug was a good choice using my monthly lease allowance, which includes all costs except fuel. My last car was a 2.0 petrol Mondeo and I liked it, but with at least 50% more mpg, I reckon I'm about £800 a year better off with the diesel.
Re: Diesel estates - Guy Lacey
The Audi is *very* well built and in a definite league above the VW range - on purpose methinks by our friends at VAG. The dash, trim and finish are all exquisite. Whether it is worth that for a Co Car is a matter of opinion - I would go for the Passat as I believe the extra quality is only worthwhile if it will be a car to cherish and not a working mota.

All modern diesels are a far better drive than the modern petrol engines of similar power IMHO.
Re: Diesel estates - Honest John
Either the Mondeo TDci 130 or the Passat TDI PD 130 lowest spec model with the engine (they all come with a/c these days). That way you'll pay about £1,200 a year BIK tax which is about as low as it goes for a decent car. But because of this demand will exceed supply and these two models may be very difficult to get.

HJ
Re: Diesel estates - Marcus
PUG 406 estate is OK and you should get a good deal on a nearly new one - BUT you will be taxed at the NEW List Price.....

Passat may be slightly better built but you will have to live with the rock-hard seats and lack of central armrest, plus lack of CD player etc etc etc. also nowhere to put your clutch foot.
Re: Diesel estates - JohnM
Looking at new diesel estates, Rover 75, Passat and A4, Laguna, imho strengths are:

Safety: Laguna, Rover 75 (see NCAP details, not just star rating)
Quality: Audi, Rover/Passat
Luggage space: Passat, Laguna
rear passenger space: Passat, Rover
Fuel economy: Passat/Audi
Equipment: Laguna
Engine refinement: Rover, Laguna
Ride comfort: Rover
Performance: Passat, Audi
Family appeal: Laguna (large sunroof, inbuilt blinds)

(I went for the Laguna, but would have loved a Rover; collegues have all gone for Passat/A4...)

If you are looking for a 1 year old diesel estate, I'd definately go for a 115bhp Passat rather than the superceded A4. My R reg Passat 110 saloon at 113k was much quieter and more refined than the 55k 110 S reg A4 Avant pool car that followed it, which lurched, creaked and was much more cramped. The Passat would be cheaper too...
HTH!